Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:.

rinkrat19 wrote:Deleted by request

Secret secrets are no fun, secret secrets hurt someone.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 am

Whoever is in charge of booking the law school for events, FUCK YOU

Not only is there a two-day event DURING FINALS, but its taking place during the Con Law final.

Glad this whole law school thing is only a front for having event space. Not like law school finals matter or anything.
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/garrett/schedulegarrett.html

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:33 am

dolfan0516 wrote:Whoever is in charge of booking the law school for events, FUCK YOU

Not only is there a two-day event DURING FINALS, but its taking place during the Con Law final.

Glad this whole law school thing is only a front for having event space. Not like law school finals matter or anything.

Well at least the whole thing is in Thorne. If they do it right, people will be able to come into the side door and never get near the classrooms.

Though it is kind of BS.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 am

Icculus wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:Whoever is in charge of booking the law school for events, FUCK YOU

Well at least the whole thing is in Thorne. If they do it right, people will be able to come into the side door and never get near the classrooms.

Though it is kind of BS.

SO glad D-Rod was able to find an event hall for all of his glad-handing. and he only had to become dean to do it!

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Though it is kind of BS.

SO glad D-Rod was able to find an event hall for all of his glad-handing. and he only had to become dean to do it!

:mrgreen:

I am really not sure why he got the job. I really feel like his attitude/personality/agenda does not mesh well with DAT NORTHWESTERN DIFFERENCE. Though he'll probably bring in money, and if he and Kadens increase clerkships then I guess he's doing what he was hired to do.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 am

Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Though it is kind of BS.

I am really not sure why he got the job. I really feel like his attitude/personality/agenda does not mesh well with DAT NORTHWESTERN DIFFERENCE. Though he'll probably bring in money, and if he and Kadens increase clerkships then I guess he's doing what he was hired to do.

I'm not really sure either. no one seems to like him and he definitely doesn't jibe with the culture here. but hey, alumni $.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 pm

I think he meshes very well with the Mothership administrative culture. And they don't give a fuck about the law school's culture. We're just their golden goose.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 pm

IAFG wrote:I think he meshes very well with the Mothership administrative culture. And they don't give a fuck about the law school's culture. We're just their golden goose.

This would explain everything.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:20 pm

IAFG wrote:I think he meshes very well with the Mothership administrative culture. And they don't give a fuck about the law school's culture. We're just their golden goose.

What's that?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Cobretti wrote:

What's that?

Northwestern University...the place that technically runs us. I tend to forget that since we rarely ever need to deal with them. The law school often times feels like a standalone school when it isn't.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Though it is kind of BS.

I'm not really sure either. no one seems to like him and he definitely doesn't jibe with the culture here. but hey, alumni $.

But this culture itself was a construction of Van Zandt, right?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Northwestern Law Public Interest Fellowships, eh? Seems awfully late to roll out something like this.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm

purpletiger wrote:
But this culture itself was a construction of Van Zandt, right?

I guess he fostered it. But if you're going to tear it down, replacing it with a culture of "fuck you, pay me" doesn't quite seem like the thing to do.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm

What's the public interest fellowship? I'm curious.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 01, 2013 4:00 pm

hmlee wrote:What's the public interest fellowship? I'm curious.

Fwd'd it to you at your gmail.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed May 01, 2013 5:06 pm

hmlee wrote:What's the public interest fellowship? I'm curious.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Northwestern Law Public Interest Fellowships

We are pleased to announce the creation of four post-graduate Northwestern Law Public Interest Fellowships to support Class of 2013 graduates committed to the practice of public interest law. The fellowships will provide each recipient with $50,000 for a one year position beginning September 2013 at a domestic nonprofit agency serving the public interest. Recipients will design a project to provide free legal services to underrepresented clients during their fellowship and are eligible to apply for an LRAP award.

Northwestern Law has outstanding clinical and externship programs, a unique Law and Social Policy academic concentration, a journal focused on public interest topics, strong support for public interest volunteer work, and a top LRAP. By creating the Northwestern Law Public Interest Fellowships, we further solidify our commitment to developing and supporting graduates dedicated to serving the public interest.

Eligibility
Eligible applicants must:
• Be graduating members of the Class of 2013;
• Develop a project focused on providing legal services or advocacy to underrepresented individuals or communities; and
• Identify as a host organization a domestic nonprofit 501(c)(3) agency that provides legal services for underrepresented communities or otherwise serves the public interest.

Selection Criteria and Process
Applicants will be considered based upon a range of factors, including but not limited to, their (a) demonstrated commitment to a career in public interest law, (b) record of public service work during and prior to law school, (c) proposed project, and (d) host organization's capacity to provide appropriate supervision and support for the project. Fellowships will be awarded by a selection committee composed of faculty members and administrators who have knowledge of public interest law and the skills and background necessary to be a successful public interest attorney.

Application Materials
Applicants must submit the following material:
• Resume;
• Essay describing the proposed project and your qualifications for the fellowship. The essay's recommended length is four to six pages double spaced and should (a) identify the host organization and describe its mission and work; (b) describe the work you propose to do during the fellowship term and the need for these particular legal services; (c) include the goals of the fellowship project and a one year timeline; and (d) include evidence of your commitment to public interest work, relevant experience, and future plans;
• A reference sheet identifying two professional references, excluding anyone from the host organization; and
• Letter from the host organization confirming a commitment to host you and your proposed project. This letter should identify the attorney who would serve as your supervisor and that attorney's experience as a public interest lawyer and as a supervisor.

Deadline
Complete application packets must be submitted in hard copy to the Center for Career Strategy and Advancement's front desk by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15. Cindy Wilson (312-503-2924; c-wilson1@law.northwestern.edu) is happy to assist applicants with any questions they may have.

Damn 50K + LRAP is a pretty sweet.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:26 pm

IAFG wrote:Northwestern Law Public Interest Fellowships, eh? Seems awfully late to roll out something like this.

Srsly. They give y'all two weeks to finish an application for a $50k public interest project? Not to mention that during that time is finals.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Northwestern Law Public Interest Fellowships, eh? Seems awfully late to roll out something like this.

Srsly. They give y'all two weeks to finish an application for a $50k public interest project? Not to mention that during that time is finals.

What do you bet select students were tipped off in advance.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 pm

he did mention he wanted to give money to 4Ls during the town hall.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 pm

Just get a fulltime job that doesn't pay and then create a project in 2 week bro.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 pm

IAFG wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

If not then it seems kinda useless for 2013. I mean how many people already had unpaid jobs at NPOs lined up and were just gonna wing it? I doubt many (if any) people can get a host organization jerb lined up in 2 weeks. It's possible but it seems ridiculously difficult.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 01, 2013 5:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

If not then it seems kinda useless for 2013. I mean how many people already had unpaid jobs at NPOs lined up and were just gonna wing it? I doubt many (if any) people can get a host organization jerb lined up in 2 weeks. It's possible but it seems ridiculously difficult.

So either it was massively mishandled or it's a gimme to administrative favorites. Nice.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:03 pm

I think I figured it out. They did a headcount for the "employed at graduation" numbers and realized they were fucked. I bet they'll make the decisions by May 17, and BAM you are employed at graduation!

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed May 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think I figured it out. They did a headcount for the "employed at graduation" numbers and realized they were fucked. I bet they'll make the decisions by May 17, and BAM you are employed at graduation!

Do fellowships count as school funded?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”