Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bostonian

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bostonian » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 pm

There are a decent number of 1Ls in Economic Analysis of the Law (it's somewhat JD-MBA heavy). I was told it's a good choice if you hate/suck at writing and are good at math. Hopefully that will actually be the case.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 pm

patentThis wrote:Which elective courses are you [1Ls] taking for spring semester?

I am taking business associations and evidence. But jurisprudence and the others people have mentioned are popular.

patentThis wrote:Do certain electives seem to fill before 1Ls have a chance to register?

No, and to my knowledge no elective open to 1Ls went for higher than the number of bid points 1Ls were allocated. Some went for almost the max (corporations for example) but none would have locked out 1Ls because of a price over the points allocated.

patentThis wrote:What percentage of the class in 1st year elective courses is typically 1L?

I haven't had any of my electives yet, but I would guess in the >75% range.

patentThis

Postby patentThis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Thank you for the responses. Next Question.

I'm looking at condos and renting. I assume most of you rent, however, did any of you research the condos in the area before deciding to rent? I'm interested in arguments for either option.

There seems to be a large number of foreclosures in the area around campus with a possibility of scoring a pretty decent deal. I'm seriously considering going to a few of the public auctions. It seems possible to obtain a place / pay property taxes + association dues equal to or less than monthly rent - speculation based on rough foreclosure discounting percentages [I'm still doing research and will confirm once I have some example properties as comparators].

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:50 am

taw856 wrote:A lot of people seem to be in Business Associations, CivPro II, First Amendment, Evidence ... probably a few others I'm forgetting.

bjsesq wrote:1. I'll add 14th amendment, corporations, employment law, immigration law, and islamic law.
2. Before a chance to register? No. But going for high points? Yes. See corporations.
3. Pretty much what my compatriot said. One is mixed, one is 1L heavy. I highly suggest 14th for the purposes of reinforcing con law, which is taken in the same semester.

This is a more general question I suppose, but it sort of sounds like some people take certain electives for the purpose of having those courses on their transcript for early interviews (Business Associations, Corps, employment law)? Obviously a 0L type of question, just curious if that has an impact on your interview process, or if those courses are simply pre-requisites for more advanced business law courses, so you have to get them taken care of early either way.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm

ahduth wrote:This is a more general question I suppose, but it sort of sounds like some people take certain electives for the purpose of having those courses on their transcript for early interviews (Business Associations, Corps, employment law)? Obviously a 0L type of question, just curious if that has an impact on your interview process, or if those courses are simply pre-requisites for more advanced business law courses, so you have to get them taken care of early either way.

I can't attest to that yet as interviews haven't begun for me. I will say this: I am making it as clear as possible through my coursework what my emphasis is on. I figure it can only support claims made to interviewers about what I want to do.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
ahduth wrote:This is a more general question I suppose, but it sort of sounds like some people take certain electives for the purpose of having those courses on their transcript for early interviews (Business Associations, Corps, employment law)? Obviously a 0L type of question, just curious if that has an impact on your interview process, or if those courses are simply pre-requisites for more advanced business law courses, so you have to get them taken care of early either way.

I can't attest to that yet as interviews haven't begun for me. I will say this: I am making it as clear as possible through my coursework what my emphasis is on. I figure it can only support claims made to interviewers about what I want to do.

I am taking business-y classes because that's what I am here for. I would say NU students are generally pragmatic.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:07 pm

IAFG wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I am taking business-y classes because that's what I am here for. I would say NU students are generally pragmatic.

So people are just going to stare at me and shake their head when I ask the old standard philosophical questions "Just what is justice anyway?" "What really is a right" or "What if C-A-T really spells dog?" ?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:09 pm

homestyle28 wrote:So people are just going to stare at me and shake their head when I ask the old standard philosophical questions "Just what is justice anyway?" "What really is a right" or "What if C-A-T really spells dog?" ?

Will you be drunk when you ask this?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:32 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:So people are just going to stare at me and shake their head when I ask the old standard philosophical questions "Just what is justice anyway?" "What really is a right" or "What if C-A-T really spells dog?" ?

If not drunk, hopefully I will at least be drinking...but it's a little bit like a nervous tick...too much graduate school -> asking pointless questions and never finding answers. I find the most normal people are annoyed by this.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:33 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

If not drunk, hopefully I will at least be drinking...but it's a little bit like a nervous tick...too much graduate school -> asking pointless questions and never finding answers. I find the most normal people are annoyed by this.

law students will definitely get annoyed, but the profs will probably save you from yourself by either not yielding the floor or calling you out on it not being relevant to the discussion at hand. outside of class you're on your own.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 pm

IAFG wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

law students will definitely get annoyed, but the profs will probably save you from yourself by either not yielding the floor or calling you out on it not being relevant to the discussion at hand. outside of class you're on your own.

Yeah, I'm hoping I can stifle it during class and manage my condition outside of class. I'll post a "chess in the library" poster or something, that'll get the closeted philosophy nerds out in the open, then I can just go full steam without alienating the norms. However, if we're drinking then I believe the right to get annoyed has been waived, especially if anyone is using a snifter.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:49 pm

People will get very interested in gchat when you start talking then complain about you to their friends in other sections after class is over.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 pm

rayiner wrote:

People will get very interested in gchat when you start talking then complain about you to their friends in other sections after class is over.

This sounds about like the best outcome I can expect...45mins to an hour of friendship, then cold shoulders. I'm actually hoping that this has already begun, I imagine it goes something like this "there's this guy on TLS with entirely too much time on his hands, no actual knowledge or relevant information, but he hits every NU thread anyway...also he might have stolen a baby. Let's all make fun of him when he gets here so that he actually cries in between classes."

The details might not be 100%, but I imagine the content is accurate :)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:45 pm

IAFG wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

You mean you're not just taking the class where you heard the prof gives have A's and half A-'s?

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, so I just took classes that interested me.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:51 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Save that shit for a philosophy thesis. If you do this in class you'll be a gunner.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
IAFG wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

You mean you're not just taking the class where you heard the prof gives have A's and half A-'s?

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do, so I just took classes that interested me.

I've heard from a few people now (people being attorneys) that taking classes for the prof(s) followed by for your interests is the way to go... thoughts?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Save that shit for a philosophy thesis. If you do this in class you'll be a gunner.

Already done that. In all seriousness, I'd never do that in a class @ LS. Maybe in office hours, but only if I thought it was in someway relevant or got the sense that a prof actually enjoyed it.

Again, if we're drinking, all bets are off. I'm one of those people that actually enjoys talking politics/ethics/religion (I guess that's why I did the MA in phil thing) but I like to think I know to confine it to other likeminded folk&derailing boards on TLS. You can tell me next year.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:18 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Will you be drunk when you ask this?

Already done that. In all seriousness, I'd never do that in a class @ LS. Maybe in office hours, but only if I thought it was in someway relevant or got the sense that a prof actually enjoyed it.

Again, if we're drinking, all bets are off. I'm one of those people that actually enjoys talking politics/ethics/religion (I guess that's why I did the MA in phil thing) but I like to think I know to confine it to other likeminded folk&derailing boards on TLS. You can tell me next year.

There's also a philosophy law club who I'm sure do exactly that.

The big thing is just knowing when and where to discuss things like that. If you ask "what is a person really?" in torts people will make fun of you. But if you go talk politics during a politics club you'll fit right in.

TL;DR; don't have aspergers.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Is everyone at NU maladjusted splitter retards?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:26 pm

naterj wrote:Is everyone at NU maladjusted splitter retards?

49.5% maladjusted splitter retards, 49.5% reverse splitter gunners, 1% median protecting 3.8/170s with $$$

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm

No. It'll just be me and your mother. burn!

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:39 pm

IAFG wrote:

49.5% maladjusted splitter retards, 49.5% reverse splitter gunners, 1% median and curve protecting 3.8/170s with $$$

ftfy

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:45 pm

bjsesq wrote:
IAFG wrote:

49.5% maladjusted splitter retards, 49.5% reverse splitter gunners, 1% median and curve protecting 3.8/170s with $$$

ftfy

I think i've got a 99% chance of fitting in, but I'll spend all my time wishing I was in that 1%.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:32 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
IAFG wrote:

ftfy

I think i've got a 99% chance of fitting in, but I'll spend all my time wishing I was in that 1%.

Until grades come out. At that point you'll be laughing your ass off.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:Until grades come out. At that point you'll be laughing your ass off drowning your sorrows with whiskey and xanax.

ftfm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”