Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 am

To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 am

Icculus wrote:To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
Icculus wrote:To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Icculus wrote:To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!

User avatar
you'rethemannowdawg
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:15 pm

you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.

I don't think so, unless you have a scholarship at Columbia. Even if you're interested in NY biglaw in addition to Chicago biglaw, NY is a much easier market to break into (assuming you don't have Chicago ties).

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.

I don't think so, unless you have a scholarship at Columbia. Even if you're interested in NY biglaw in addition to Chicago biglaw, NY is a much easier market to break into (assuming you don't have Chicago ties).


I would guess that NY biglaw from NU is easier to get than Chicago biglaw from Columbia. All the Chicago firms do NU OCI and we have establishd relationships with the big ones like K&E, Sidley, etc...

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.

I don't think so, unless you have a scholarship at Columbia. Even if you're interested in NY biglaw in addition to Chicago biglaw, NY is a much easier market to break into (assuming you don't have Chicago ties).


I would guess that NY biglaw from NU is easier to get than Chicago biglaw from Columbia. All the Chicago firms do NU OCI and we have establishd relationships with the big ones like K&E, Sidley, etc...

Yup, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Good to know I'm not misinformed.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Would there be any advantage to attending Columbia over NU for Chicago biglaw? From the employment stats, it looks like NU kills in Chicago and I think I've read on this site that many employers in Chicago see NU as a peer to UChicago.

I don't think so, unless you have a scholarship at Columbia. Even if you're interested in NY biglaw in addition to Chicago biglaw, NY is a much easier market to break into (assuming you don't have Chicago ties).


I would guess that NY biglaw from NU is easier to get than Chicago biglaw from Columbia. All the Chicago firms do NU OCI and we have establishd relationships with the big ones like K&E, Sidley, etc...

Yup, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Good to know I'm not misinformed.


Nope, you are right on track.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Icculus wrote:To all the 3Ls on here...I fuckin' love you guys. Good luck! You'll be missed!


I can't even handle the idea that most of my favorite 3Ls are leaving town. NOT COOL.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Unrelated to my last post: if anyone has kleinfeld resources for crim, they would be really, really appreciated.

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby chill » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Regarding self-scheduled exam procedures: Do we have to do any part of the download/upload/printing(?) on campus, or is it 100% remote via Examsoft? What is the exam center in RB 160 for?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Regarding self-scheduled exam procedures: Do we have to do any part of the download/upload/printing(?) on campus, or is it 100% remote via Examsoft? What is the exam center in RB 160 for?

You can do it wherever you want. RB 160 is so that you have an easy place to do it on campus if you want to.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Regarding self-scheduled exam procedures: Do we have to do any part of the download/upload/printing(?) on campus, or is it 100% remote via Examsoft? What is the exam center in RB 160 for?


you can take it on a beach in Mexico for all they care. I generally like to take them at school, in case something gets royally fucked and you can just run downstairs to RB160.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks, that's what I thought. But another 1L thought we had to upload and download on campus and I was all :shock: and wanted to double-triple-check!

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm going to start caring about these exams and papers any day now...

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 am

Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.


Agreed. This is some bullshit. I'm pretty sure we paid to use this school..,

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.


Agreed. This is some bullshit. I'm pretty sure we paid to use this school..,


If you want tuition to go up by only 3%, you're going to have to be willing to make some sacrifices.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Enjoy his bullshit.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.


Agreed. This is some bullshit. I'm pretty sure we paid to use this school..,


If you want tuition to go up by only 3%, you're going to have to be willing to make some sacrifices.


That and giving people fullrides who barely got into U of C to keep our USNEWS RANKING a preftigious "just better than georgetown."

User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 pm

What I don't understand is that NU has a bigger endowment than Chicago, Penn, UVA, Georgetown, etc., yet seems functionally unable to control costs better than those schools. In many respects, it's much worse. Even our health insurance costs like $800 more per year than GULC's.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Another thing that I'm going to blame the new dean for: the school is CONSTANTLY renting out the atrium for events. And I'm sorry, but the day before finals starts is a really inappropriate time for that shit.


Agreed. This is some bullshit. I'm pretty sure we paid to use this school..,


If you want tuition to go up by only 3%, you're going to have to be willing to make some sacrifices.

4% next year, isn't it?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 pm

purpletiger wrote:What I don't understand is that NU has a bigger endowment than Chicago, Penn, UVA, Georgetown, etc., yet seems functionally unable to control costs better than those schools. In many respects, it's much worse. Even our health insurance costs like $800 more per year than GULC's.

But we get birth control.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests