Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:If you're traveling anywhere over the Pacific it makes it basically impossible.

True. I hadn't thought about that part since those flights are like 24 hours.

A lot of places in Africa also take about 24 hours to get to/from by the time you factor in multiple flights and whatnot.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:If you're traveling anywhere over the Pacific it makes it basically impossible.

True. I hadn't thought about that part since those flights are like 24 hours.

A lot of places in Africa also take about 24 hours to get to/from by the time you factor in multiple flights and whatnot.

True, even coming home from places in Soouth America can take 24 hours with the layovers, though that can be avoided...if you add to the price.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.

No, but there's no reason that we couldn't have a 3 week winter break and a 2 week spring break, and I'm sure that if he had actually asked any students about it, they would have preferred it.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

See, I think winter break is good at two weeks. Plus when you're relying on loan money it's nice to get it ASAP.

As for the original suggestion, can't miss any classes for ITP.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Icculus wrote:

See, I think winter break is good at two weeks. Plus when you're relying on loan money it's nice to get it ASAP.

They should be able to miss classes for ITP. People miss it for other school stuff all the time.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Just read three pages of this thread so sorry for the mixed subjects:

I actually like the 3/1 split, sorry for ITP folks though.

+1 on Mexican food in Pilsen.

Lots of 1Ls got SA jobs but 1/5 sounds waaayyy high.

SPFIF is richer for my being drunk at the auction.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 pm

I wouldn't mind the longer Christmas break (I could get more than 2 days of snowboarding in!), but I liked the long spring break. And I want to do ITP at some point.

It seems like spring term ends pretty early. I wouldn't mind that getting pushed back a week to accommodate longer breaks.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

They should be able to miss classes for ITP. People miss it for other school stuff all the time.

I agree, but I don't think you can get an okay from the faculty advisor/chaperone if you miss classes since they have classes they need to teach and people would be pissed if they had to make up class because of an ITP they didn't go on. And yes, I realize Redish does shit like this all the time.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

No, but there's no reason that we couldn't have a 3 week winter break and a 2 week spring break, and I'm sure that if he had actually asked any students about it, they would have preferred it.

this is what bugs me the most about the dean and his power trips.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I wouldn't mind the longer Christmas break (I could get more than 2 days of snowboarding in!), but I liked the long spring break. And I want to do ITP at some point.

It seems like spring term ends pretty early. I wouldn't mind that getting pushed back a week to accommodate longer breaks.

I doubt anyone would mind that. But D-Rod is a douche who has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't give a fuck what students want.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:03 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

It makes it even worse that he tries to act like he gives a shit. It's infuriating.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:04 pm

A 3-2 is probably a better split.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

It makes it even worse that he tries to act like he gives a shit. It's infuriating.

Not to mention, how disingenuous was it that at the round table he claimed to have come around on ITP when really he was still planning on taking actions that would kill it.

I am really not a fan.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I wouldn't mind the longer Christmas break (I could get more than 2 days of snowboarding in!), but I liked the long spring break. And I want to do ITP at some point.

I doubt anyone would mind that. But D-Rod is a douche who has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't give a fuck what students want.

this this this this

at this point it's clear he either doesn't have his finger anywhere close to the pulse of students or just doesn't care

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 pm

fwiw: y'all might rethink placing the focus on the Dean.

Academic calendars are typically run by the academics, and any changes are done at the behest of the faculty. While that may not be true at NULaw, it is a fact of life at most colleges (that change academic calendars). Perhaps the Dean is just the point-man?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Big Dog wrote:fwiw: y'all might rethink placing the focus on the Dean.

Academic calendars are typically run by the academics, and any changes are done at the behest of the faculty. While that may not be true at NULaw, it is a fact of life at most colleges (that change academic calendars). Perhaps the Dean is just the point-man?

None of this changes the fact that the dean has made it super clear that he doesn't give a fuck about taking student input into account.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:

None of this changes the fact that the dean has made it super clear that he doesn't give a fuck about taking student input into account.

Also pretty sure this was his decision alone. And if it was just about a academic calendar he would not have shortened ITP next year when the 2 weeks stay. From reading the email it seems 2014 ITP can't run longer than 9 days even though we have 2 weeks off.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Vigorous co-sign.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

Also pretty sure this was his decision alone. And if it was just about a academic calendar he would not have shortened ITP next year when the 2 weeks stay. From reading the email it seems 2014 ITP can't run longer than 9 days even though we have 2 weeks off.

Not sure that this is true. Some of the faculty may like ITP because they get a free trip, but those tend to be CLR profs, clinical profs, adjuncts, etc. The big time, tenured full-time profs don't go on ITP and think that students here take too many fluff classes to pad their GPAs. Those are the ones actually in charge. They are actively trying to figure out methods to push students more into the bread-and-butter stuff. This is probably part of it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm

purpletiger wrote:
Not sure that this is true. Some of the faculty may like ITP because they get a free trip, but those tend to be CLR profs, clinical profs, adjuncts, etc. The big time, tenured full-time profs don't go on ITP and think that students here take too many fluff classes to pad their GPAs. Those are the ones actually in charge. They are actively trying to figure out methods to push students more into the bread-and-butter stuff. This is probably part of it.

Why would profs want to force disinterested students into their doctrinal classes?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
purpletiger wrote:

Why would profs want to force disinterested students into their doctrinal classes?

I don't even think they teach doctrinal classes. They teach stupid shit like Law and Transhumanism, or Reforming the Laws of Tanzania.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:42 pm

It seems to me that profs care a lot about a few people. They should just bully those people out of going on ITP trips.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 pm

IAFG wrote:It seems to me that profs care a lot about a few people. They should just bully those people out of going on ITP trips.

I think those people just care a lot about what the profs think.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:45 pm

purpletiger wrote:and think that students here take too many fluff classes to pad their GPAs

not really our fault. ivory tower though.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”