Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:If you're traveling anywhere over the Pacific it makes it basically impossible.


True. I hadn't thought about that part since those flights are like 24 hours.

A lot of places in Africa also take about 24 hours to get to/from by the time you factor in multiple flights and whatnot.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:If you're traveling anywhere over the Pacific it makes it basically impossible.


True. I hadn't thought about that part since those flights are like 24 hours.

A lot of places in Africa also take about 24 hours to get to/from by the time you factor in multiple flights and whatnot.


True, even coming home from places in Soouth America can take 24 hours with the layovers, though that can be avoided...if you add to the price.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.

No, but there's no reason that we couldn't have a 3 week winter break and a 2 week spring break, and I'm sure that if he had actually asked any students about it, they would have preferred it.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.


See, I think winter break is good at two weeks. Plus when you're relying on loan money it's nice to get it ASAP.

As for the original suggestion, can't miss any classes for ITP.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.


See, I think winter break is good at two weeks. Plus when you're relying on loan money it's nice to get it ASAP.

As for the original suggestion, can't miss any classes for ITP.


They should be able to miss classes for ITP. People miss it for other school stuff all the time.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby basilseal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Just read three pages of this thread so sorry for the mixed subjects:

I actually like the 3/1 split, sorry for ITP folks though.

+1 on Mexican food in Pilsen.

Lots of 1Ls got SA jobs but 1/5 sounds waaayyy high.

SPFIF is richer for my being drunk at the auction.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 pm

I wouldn't mind the longer Christmas break (I could get more than 2 days of snowboarding in!), but I liked the long spring break. And I want to do ITP at some point.

It seems like spring term ends pretty early. I wouldn't mind that getting pushed back a week to accommodate longer breaks.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.


See, I think winter break is good at two weeks. Plus when you're relying on loan money it's nice to get it ASAP.

As for the original suggestion, can't miss any classes for ITP.


They should be able to miss classes for ITP. People miss it for other school stuff all the time.


I agree, but I don't think you can get an okay from the faculty advisor/chaperone if you miss classes since they have classes they need to teach and people would be pissed if they had to make up class because of an ITP they didn't go on. And yes, I realize Redish does shit like this all the time.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.

No, but there's no reason that we couldn't have a 3 week winter break and a 2 week spring break, and I'm sure that if he had actually asked any students about it, they would have preferred it.


this is what bugs me the most about the dean and his power trips.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I wouldn't mind the longer Christmas break (I could get more than 2 days of snowboarding in!), but I liked the long spring break. And I want to do ITP at some point.

It seems like spring term ends pretty early. I wouldn't mind that getting pushed back a week to accommodate longer breaks.

I doubt anyone would mind that. But D-Rod is a douche who has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't give a fuck what students want.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:03 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.

No, but there's no reason that we couldn't have a 3 week winter break and a 2 week spring break, and I'm sure that if he had actually asked any students about it, they would have preferred it.


this is what bugs me the most about the dean and his power trips.

It makes it even worse that he tries to act like he gives a shit. It's infuriating.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:04 pm

A 3-2 is probably a better split.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.

No, but there's no reason that we couldn't have a 3 week winter break and a 2 week spring break, and I'm sure that if he had actually asked any students about it, they would have preferred it.


this is what bugs me the most about the dean and his power trips.

It makes it even worse that he tries to act like he gives a shit. It's infuriating.


Not to mention, how disingenuous was it that at the round table he claimed to have come around on ITP when really he was still planning on taking actions that would kill it.

I am really not a fan.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I wouldn't mind the longer Christmas break (I could get more than 2 days of snowboarding in!), but I liked the long spring break. And I want to do ITP at some point.

It seems like spring term ends pretty early. I wouldn't mind that getting pushed back a week to accommodate longer breaks.

I doubt anyone would mind that. But D-Rod is a douche who has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't give a fuck what students want.


this this this this

at this point it's clear he either doesn't have his finger anywhere close to the pulse of students or just doesn't care

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Big Dog » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:29 pm

fwiw: y'all might rethink placing the focus on the Dean.

Academic calendars are typically run by the academics, and any changes are done at the behest of the faculty. While that may not be true at NULaw, it is a fact of life at most colleges (that change academic calendars). Perhaps the Dean is just the point-man?

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Big Dog wrote:fwiw: y'all might rethink placing the focus on the Dean.

Academic calendars are typically run by the academics, and any changes are done at the behest of the faculty. While that may not be true at NULaw, it is a fact of life at most colleges (that change academic calendars). Perhaps the Dean is just the point-man?


None of this changes the fact that the dean has made it super clear that he doesn't give a fuck about taking student input into account.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Big Dog wrote:fwiw: y'all might rethink placing the focus on the Dean.

Academic calendars are typically run by the academics, and any changes are done at the behest of the faculty. While that may not be true at NULaw, it is a fact of life at most colleges (that change academic calendars). Perhaps the Dean is just the point-man?


None of this changes the fact that the dean has made it super clear that he doesn't give a fuck about taking student input into account.


Also pretty sure this was his decision alone. And if it was just about a academic calendar he would not have shortened ITP next year when the 2 weeks stay. From reading the email it seems 2014 ITP can't run longer than 9 days even though we have 2 weeks off.

User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Really, they should just leave on Wed. before spring break and come back on tuesday after spring break. Miss some classes, big fucking deal.

The rest of the school shouldn't have to deal with an unreasonably short winter break so some of hte students get to do ITP.


Vigorous co-sign.

User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
Big Dog wrote:fwiw: y'all might rethink placing the focus on the Dean.

Academic calendars are typically run by the academics, and any changes are done at the behest of the faculty. While that may not be true at NULaw, it is a fact of life at most colleges (that change academic calendars). Perhaps the Dean is just the point-man?


None of this changes the fact that the dean has made it super clear that he doesn't give a fuck about taking student input into account.


Also pretty sure this was his decision alone. And if it was just about a academic calendar he would not have shortened ITP next year when the 2 weeks stay. From reading the email it seems 2014 ITP can't run longer than 9 days even though we have 2 weeks off.


Not sure that this is true. Some of the faculty may like ITP because they get a free trip, but those tend to be CLR profs, clinical profs, adjuncts, etc. The big time, tenured full-time profs don't go on ITP and think that students here take too many fluff classes to pad their GPAs. Those are the ones actually in charge. They are actively trying to figure out methods to push students more into the bread-and-butter stuff. This is probably part of it.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm

purpletiger wrote:
Not sure that this is true. Some of the faculty may like ITP because they get a free trip, but those tend to be CLR profs, clinical profs, adjuncts, etc. The big time, tenured full-time profs don't go on ITP and think that students here take too many fluff classes to pad their GPAs. Those are the ones actually in charge. They are actively trying to figure out methods to push students more into the bread-and-butter stuff. This is probably part of it.

Why would profs want to force disinterested students into their doctrinal classes?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
purpletiger wrote:
Not sure that this is true. Some of the faculty may like ITP because they get a free trip, but those tend to be CLR profs, clinical profs, adjuncts, etc. The big time, tenured full-time profs don't go on ITP and think that students here take too many fluff classes to pad their GPAs. Those are the ones actually in charge. They are actively trying to figure out methods to push students more into the bread-and-butter stuff. This is probably part of it.

Why would profs want to force disinterested students into their doctrinal classes?


I don't even think they teach doctrinal classes. They teach stupid shit like Law and Transhumanism, or Reforming the Laws of Tanzania.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:42 pm

It seems to me that profs care a lot about a few people. They should just bully those people out of going on ITP trips.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 pm

IAFG wrote:It seems to me that profs care a lot about a few people. They should just bully those people out of going on ITP trips.


I think those people just care a lot about what the profs think.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:45 pm

purpletiger wrote:and think that students here take too many fluff classes to pad their GPAs


not really our fault. ivory tower though.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests