Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby KremeCheez » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:
Flips88 wrote:What kinda burritos are you talking about? Provide a picture example


This was seemingly an easy task...but alas, I have failed. I might not have enough posts to allow me to do so...?

You have to have 100 posts and your account has to be two weeks old.


Yeah...thought I remembered something along those lines. Well...irrelevant anyways...I think you've answered my question. :cry:

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FlowBro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Micdiddy wrote:--ImageRemoved--


Burrito looks severely lacking from my vantage point, but maybe that is because I have lived on delicious Mexican food in LA for the past 4 years

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Burritos don't photograph well. And don't give me the L.A. Mexican food OMG OMG BS, I grew up in Santa Barbara hearing that my whole life and thinking "wow, something is better than freebirds and super cucas?" Then I lived in L.A. for 2 years and was SEVERELY disappointed. It's a taco town, for sure, and they do that well, but there is no burrito I found (and I looked at length) that came close to the 3rd best burrito in SB (Rudy's).

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Samara » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Burritos are TTT. Chicago is all about the deep dish.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Burritos don't photograph well. And don't give me the L.A. Mexican food OMG OMG BS, I grew up in Santa Barbara hearing that my whole life and thinking "wow, something is better than freebirds and super cucas?" Then I lived in L.A. for 2 years and was SEVERELY disappointed. It's a taco town, for sure, and they do that well, but there is no burrito I found (and I looked at length) that came close to the 3rd best burrito in SB (Rudy's).


FreeBirds

YUSSSSSSS

User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby KremeCheez » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Shoulda had this convo before I deposited.
Shoulda applied to Golden Gate Law...

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:52 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Shoulda had this convo before I deposited.
Shoulda applied to Golden Gate Law...

http://law.ggu.edu/admissions wrote:Fall 2013 deadline extended to May 1, 2013


there's still time!

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Shoulda had this convo before I deposited.
Shoulda applied to Golden Gate Law...

http://law.ggu.edu/admissions wrote:Fall 2013 deadline extended to May 1, 2013


there's still time!


:D :D :D

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Burritos don't photograph well. And don't give me the L.A. Mexican food OMG OMG BS, I grew up in Santa Barbara hearing that my whole life and thinking "wow, something is better than freebirds and super cucas?" Then I lived in L.A. for 2 years and was SEVERELY disappointed. It's a taco town, for sure, and they do that well, but there is no burrito I found (and I looked at length) that came close to the 3rd best burrito in SB (Rudy's).


FreeBirds

YUSSSSSSS

+1 billion

tcliff
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby tcliff » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm not in Chicago right now, but I grew up there, and the ethnic food is incredible, although I'd imagine most people (even current students) are not looking in the right places. Ethnic food in Chicago is great, but it's not that great in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or Streeterville. I went to college in Claremont, outside of Los Angeles, and even in deeper trips into the LA, I didn't find anything that Chicago couldn't beat.

Chicago actually has incredible Mexican food, and you can get even highly particularized regional Mexican cuisine as well -- you can find places that specialize in Oaxacan food, Yucatecan food, etc. However, if you want the best you'll have to go to the actual Mexican neighborhoods -- the biggest being Pilsen, but there are lots of other ones as well. On the North Side, Lawrence west of Lincoln Square provides some great options.

This is reflective of something you will find overall about Chicago -- it is a city of neighborhoods, often particular ethnic neighborhoods. Rogers Park has the best cheap Indian food in Chicago... and also Pakistani, Lebanese, Israeli, and the only Georgian (as in ex-Soviet Union) and Croatian places I know. If you want Korean, go to Albany Park. There are decent Chinese places all over, but for the best, you'll have to go to Chinatown. Lincoln Square still has some traces of its German heritage. The South Side will have the best soul food.

If you really want to explore Chicago's food scene, I recommend coming with a bike and making the most of September. Lthforum.com is a great Chicago-based restaurant message board, and they put together a great map of places they've awarded the Great Neighborhood Restaurant designation. Check it out: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=115707820952343749632.00000111c483d5e1c71db&ll=42.103317,-87.897491&spn=0.680621,1.126099&z=10

Here are award-winners broken out by cuisine if you're looking for something in particular: --LinkRemoved--

For Mexican, this is a good start if you're looking for steak burritos: --LinkRemoved--

And a discussion of Chicago vs. LA Mexican: --LinkRemoved--

Believe it or not, I am not even fat -- just mentally.

User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Might be best addressed by California transplants...but...
Burritos? You know, like reeeeaaaal burritos? 2200 calorie burritos? I stand a 50-50 chance of finishing this thing (and I EAT) burritos?
Do these even exist in Chicagoland?
This is quickly becoming a major concern of mine...

Edit: I don't always TLS buzzed, but when I do, its usually about burritos...

I'm from California but I'm not gonna lie, I have yet to find an adequate substitute ):

All ethnic food, on average, is much worse than CA.


Disagree. Tacos at places like Antique Taco and Big Star are as good as CA.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Yep, Spring Break is going to 1 week, Winter to three. ITP stay but is limited to 9 days.

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FlowBro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 pm

I find it incomprehensible for people to say they cannot find good Mexican food in Los Angeles. Honestly, just don't understand it. Maybe if you spend your time in Beverly Hills, Hollywood, rich areas, etc. you will be disappointed.

However, once one travels off the beaten path you will be open yourself up to a new world of Mexican food in LA. I cannot speak to Chicago's Mexican, but I have no doubts that there is SOME place there that can match LA. It is a big, diverse city, no reason to think that all their Mexican food is bad...that would just be silly

tcliff
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby tcliff » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean to make that sound definitively like there isn't equal, just enough that they're comparable cities in the quality of Mexican foods.

I take more issue with the broad statement that ethnic food in Chicago is much worse than LA. It will need to be broken out more. LA definitely had better Thai/Sushi. Chicago has the edge in Polish, German, Greek, and Middle Eastern. Mid-range to high-end Indian I'd give the edge to LA, but cheap-end I'd give the edge to Chicago.

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby FlowBro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 pm

tcliff wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean to make that sound definitively like there isn't equal, just enough that they're comparable cities in the quality of Mexican foods.

I take more issue with the broad statement that ethnic food in Chicago is much worse than LA. It will need to be broken out more. LA definitely had better Thai/Sushi. Chicago has the edge in Polish, German, Greek, and Middle Eastern. Mid-range to high-end Indian I'd give the edge to LA, but cheap-end I'd give the edge to Chicago.


Fair assessment

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Yep, Spring Break is going to 1 week, Winter to three. ITP stay but is limited to 9 days.


well, as first blows go, that wasn't the worst, I guess?

D-Rod seems highly intent on making sure we all hate him.

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby dolfan0516 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Anyone have a outline to BA (preferably taught by Schanzenbach?). This is my professors first time teaching the class, but he uses the same book and slides as Schanzenbach, so it'd fit in perfectly.

Thanks!

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:26 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yep, Spring Break is going to 1 week, Winter to three. ITP stay but is limited to 9 days.


well, as first blows go, that wasn't the worst, I guess?

D-Rod seems highly intent on making sure we all hate him.


Honestly, 9 days is plenty for ITP.

Edit: Though the argument that this will save a ton on costs os mostly BS since a large portion of cost is airfare.
Last edited by Icculus on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yep, Spring Break is going to 1 week, Winter to three. ITP stay but is limited to 9 days.


well, as first blows go, that wasn't the worst, I guess?

D-Rod seems highly intent on making sure we all hate him.


Honestly, 9 days is plenty for ITP.


If you're traveling anywhere over the Pacific it makes it basically impossible.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yep, Spring Break is going to 1 week, Winter to three. ITP stay but is limited to 9 days.


well, as first blows go, that wasn't the worst, I guess?

D-Rod seems highly intent on making sure we all hate him.


Honestly, 9 days is plenty for ITP.


If you're traveling anywhere over the Pacific it makes it basically impossible.


True. I hadn't thought about that part since those flights are like 24 hours.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yep, Spring Break is going to 1 week, Winter to three. ITP stay but is limited to 9 days.


well, as first blows go, that wasn't the worst, I guess?

D-Rod seems highly intent on making sure we all hate him.


Honestly, 9 days is plenty for ITP.

Edit: Though the argument that this will save a ton on costs os mostly BS since a large portion of cost is airfare.
I was under the impression that ITP is plenty expensive for the student, like $6k or something. How much of the travel is the school actually covering?
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
KremeCheez wrote:Might be best addressed by California transplants...but...
Burritos? You know, like reeeeaaaal burritos? 2200 calorie burritos? I stand a 50-50 chance of finishing this thing (and I EAT) burritos?
Do these even exist in Chicagoland?
This is quickly becoming a major concern of mine...

Edit: I don't always TLS buzzed, but when I do, its usually about burritos...

I'm from California but I'm not gonna lie, I have yet to find an adequate substitute ):

Have you checked out the Mexican in West Town? I'm a big fan of a bunch of places out there.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Anyone have an outline for Admin with Speta?

Or a good one for admin in general would be cool.

I didn't have Speta, but I have great Admin stuff. It taught me the entire class in like 4 days.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yep, Spring Break is going to 1 week, Winter to three. ITP stay but is limited to 9 days.


well, as first blows go, that wasn't the worst, I guess?

D-Rod seems highly intent on making sure we all hate him.


Honestly, 9 days is plenty for ITP.

Edit: Though the argument that this will save a ton on costs os mostly BS since a large portion of cost is airfare.
I was under the impression that ITP is plenty expensive for the student, like $6k or something. How much of the travel is the school actually covering?


I have friends who argued that a shorter ITP means it should cost half the money for students since we are there less time. That is an incorrect assumption since most of the costs are flights. The school pays nothing.

Edit: I do think this may be his way of letting ITP kill itself. 9 days in South America is probably plenty, but no more places like Australia, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.
Last edited by Icculus on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests