Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
basilseal

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby basilseal » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:17 pm

hmlee wrote:Clarke's? Really? Ugh. So overpriced for what they offer.

Someone said DMK, but also their sister restaurant Fish Bar if you like seafood.
Kuma's / Kuma's Too for burgers
Sheffield's for BBQ (there are other, arguably better BBQ places in the city, but in the specific region of Lakeview, that's the best)
Cheesie's for grilled cheese / late night
Dimo's for pizza / late night
Tac Quick for thai

Ann Sather's is fine for brunch, but may I also suggest Southport Grocery, Kanela, and Chicago Diner.

There are many other tasty places, but those are the best off the top of my head

Agreed on Clarkes (amazed by the enthusiasm here- maybe I haven't been recently enough? Possible) and Tac Quick- that place is a lifesaver. Also down the block Pizza Rustica: mixed bag but their margherita pizza is mindblowingly good.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

hmlee wrote:Clarke's? Really? Ugh. So overpriced for what they offer.

Someone said DMK, but also their sister restaurant Fish Bar if you like seafood.
Kuma's / Kuma's Too for burgers
Sheffield's for BBQ (there are other, arguably better BBQ places in the city, but in the specific region of Lakeview, that's the best)
Cheesie's for grilled cheese / late night
Dimo's for pizza / late night
Tac Quick for thai

Ann Sather's is fine for brunch, but may I also suggest Southport Grocery, Kanela, and Chicago Diner.

There are many other tasty places, but those are the best off the top of my head

I would add Wildberry for brunch, and +1 on Cheesie's.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:18 pm

apparently D-Rod wants to get rid of ITP and cut a week from Spring Break. He really must be determined to make himself as unpopular as possible.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:apparently D-Rod wants to get rid of ITP and cut a week from Spring Break. He really must be determined to make himself as unpopular as possible.

Where did you hear that? In his little Q&A he said he kinda came around on ITP.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:apparently D-Rod wants to get rid of ITP and cut a week from Spring Break. He really must be determined to make himself as unpopular as possible.

rumblings from multiple people, so take it for what it's worth - all saying the same thing though

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

rumblings from multiple people, so take it for what it's worth - all saying the same thing though

Did they say where the week goes? Because ending a week earlier is just too absurdly early.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 pm

I'd imagine to winter break if anything.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks for the food suggestions! Starting to work my way through them. Hope I don't get fat.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:I'd imagine to winter break if anything.

If that's what happens I wouldn't really be bothered.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 pm

bk1 wrote:

I have also heard major changes to barristers and SPFIF auction. Re: alcohol.

Edit: a no alcohol auction would kill SPFIF.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm

bk1 wrote:

I will still be taking 2 weeks off for spring break regardless of what they say. An extra week for winter break would be nice too though.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Paternalistic fucking bullshit.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Paternalistic fucking bullshit.

The ITP thing sucks, especially since I thought it was such a great experience, but I can at least see the rationale behind it. The other shit is fucking ridiculous. There was also some rumblings about Follies but I don't think he could actually stop it from being put on somewhere. For that last one I think maybe we hurt his feelings.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I don't dislike the dean (he does bring in donations and faculty), but certainly the alternative would be, you know, actually being liked. Van Zandt didn't get insulted at Follies, only gently made fun of.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Icculus wrote:The ITP thing sucks, especially since I thought it was such a great experience, but I can at least see the rationale behind it. The other shit is fucking ridiculous. There was also some rumblings about Follies but I don't think he could actually stop it from being put on somewhere. For that last one I think maybe we hurt his feelings.

Apparently the dean's wife overheard some people talking all "omg, did you see how pissed the dean was at Follies?" and she came over and said he wasn't mad at all. FWIW.

I'm gonna be pissed if he gets rid of ITP because I really wanted to do it 3L year.

oaken

Postby oaken » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:The ITP thing sucks, especially since I thought it was such a great experience, but I can at least see the rationale behind it. The other shit is fucking ridiculous. There was also some rumblings about Follies but I don't think he could actually stop it from being put on somewhere. For that last one I think maybe we hurt his feelings.

Apparently the dean's wife overheard some people talking all "omg, did you see how pissed the dean was at Follies?" and she came over and said he wasn't mad at all. FWIW.

I'm gonna be pissed if he gets rid of ITP because I really wanted to do it 3L year.

lol i didn't realize he was actually there (i was kind of out of it)...do a lot of faculty come too?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 pm

I thought Follies was pretty gentle about ribbing D-Rod. I could have thought of a bunch of things to say that were a lot meaner than that.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Follies was light on everything.

A gunner misses the girl of his dreams but last semster 3L finally nails her. Sounds like someone wrote some literotica for himself.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I thought Follies was pretty gentle about ribbing D-Rod. I could have thought of a bunch of things to say that were a lot meaner than that.

I don't think he was really upset, and the script did go easy on him. If anything it seems he just wants to eliminate anything that has free alcohol...

The only groan worth lines wore about Hanna Stotland, but this were written way ahead of time, which made it even better.

TexasAggie13

Postby TexasAggie13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:06 am

I have heard the 1L OCI referenced on here a couple of times, what sort of opportunities are available there? Is it possible to work at a firm after 1L year or is that just a pipe dream?

Just curious, is there a pretty broad variety of firms at (2L) OCI? Specifically, I want to work in Texas, are there any TX firms that attend?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 am

TexasAggie13 wrote:I have heard the 1L OCI referenced on here a couple of times, what sort of opportunities are available there? Is it possible to work at a firm after 1L year or is that just a pipe dream?

yes, but I only know one person who got their job through 1L OCI and it was corporate counsel. I send out at least 75 resumes before getting an offer. It's possible, but not probable, and be prepared to do most of the work yourself.

ETA: of my group of friends whose employment know of off the top of my head, 3 of us have 1L SAs, 3 are working for judges, 2 are in PI, and 1 is working as an RA for a professor. So it really runs the gamut for 1L summer.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
TexasAggie13 wrote:I have heard the 1L OCI referenced on here a couple of times, what sort of opportunities are available there? Is it possible to work at a firm after 1L year or is that just a pipe dream?

yes, but I only know one person who got their job through 1L OCI and it was corporate counsel. I send out at least 75 resumes before getting an offer. It's possible, but not probable, and be prepared to do most of the work yourself.

ETA: of my group of friends whose employment know of off the top of my head, 3 of us have 1L SAs, 3 are working for judges, 2 are in PI, and 1 is working as an RA for a professor. So it really runs the gamut for 1L summer.

I know 2 people who got a SA through 1L OCI, but TBF one of them had worked there as a FT paralegal before for like 3 years.

Out of the people I consider in my close friends group, 2 are doing paid SA positions, 1 is doing a paid in-house position, 1 is working for a DA's office, 3 are doing externships (working for a judge), 1 is doing PI/Gov work, and 1 is doing a part-time RA/part-time PI split summer.

I think it's totally doable to find a 1L SA job if you have decent grades and are willing to hustle (ie, do ALL THE INTERVIEWS at 1L OCI, mass mail ALL THE FIRMS during winter break and do follow ups, go to networking events and apply for scholarships). It seems like the vaaaaaast majority of 1L friends I have are doing externships, though.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 am

Just curious, is there a pretty broad variety of firms at (2L) OCI? Specifically, I want to work in Texas, are there any TX firms that attend?

1L OCI basically doesn't exist. It's usually 3-4 employers at most.

There were a pretty broad variety of firms that came to OCI this past fall. I know one person who had several interviews with TX firms, but I can't remember which ones. TX may be a market that you'll have to supplement OCI with attending job fairs and mass mailing, but success through those means isn't at all unheard of, especially if you have strong ties and do well.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

I know 2 people who got a SA through 1L OCI, but TBF one of them had worked there as a FT paralegal before for like 3 years.

Out of the people I consider in my close friends group, 2 are doing paid SA positions, 1 is doing a paid in-house position, 1 is working for a DA's office, 3 are doing externships (working for a judge), 1 is doing PI/Gov work, and 1 is doing a part-time RA/part-time PI split summer.

I think it's totally doable to find a 1L SA job if you have decent grades and are willing to hustle (ie, do ALL THE INTERVIEWS at 1L OCI, mass mail ALL THE FIRMS during winter break and do follow ups, go to networking events and apply for scholarships). It seems like the vaaaaaast majority of 1L friends I have are doing externships, though.

Totally doable is an overstatement. They exist, but it's pretty rare. I know people with amazing grades who got zero traction for 1L SA's. Try for it, but don't expect it.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:29 am

1L SA's are only "totally doable" if you have a 3.9+ and/or are a diversity hire. Sorry.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”