Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tcliff

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby tcliff » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:16 pm

How many suits will I need as a law student? I never need a suit for my current job. I own one that I just use for weddings/funerals right now.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

tcliff wrote:weddings/funerals

:lol:

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm

tcliff wrote:How many suits will I need as a law student? I never need a suit for my current job. I own one that I just use for weddings/funerals right now.

Well more like 2 after you get fat during 1L and need to buy a new one.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Are you a dude? If so, is your one suit black? If so, get a different suit. Black suits (on men) are for funerals.
Are you a girl? If so, is your one suit black or very dark navy or otherwise extremely conservative? If not, get a black skirtsuit*.

For 1L year you'll need at least a suit with a couple of shirts**, and 1 or 2 business-casual outfits at the bare minimum. You might need to dress up a couple of days in a row, but probably not more than 2 or 3 unless you go hard at the little 1L OCI. Then you'd need to be in a suit several times per week for a week or two. Unless you sweat or spill things on yourself a lot, one suit is probably fine then too, with multiple shirts.

Dudes and ties...I have seen some really bright, fun patterned ties. (My favorite 1L OCI outfit was a guy in my section in a dark grey suit, white shirt and bright orange tie. He rocked it, and I'm pretty sure he got a 1L SA.) Doesn't seem like bright ties are as big of a risk as a brightly colored shirt for women. Yayyyydoublestandards. :P

And yes, hose are required with skirts. I'm always a little more sketchy on those rules, so someone else can chime in. I think nude or sheer black for business-formal? Or is opaque black ok with formal? Can never remember that.

*Recommended skirt, not pants. Yes, some old assholes still have a problem with women in pantsuits. The odds are you won't run into any of these guys, but you can decide for yourself if you'd rather just err on the side of caution if you're just going to have the one suit. Personally, I have 2 skirt suits and 2 pantsuits and a few more pieces for mixed outfits. But I'm an Ann Taylor whore.

**Slightly more daring colors/patterns on shirts/shells are fine for biz-casual events, but you want to have something muted in color for biz-formal. Doesn't have to be white. My favorites are cream-colored, but pale colors are fine. Remember that sleeveless shirts for women are totally fine under a suit jacket, but you can't take the jacket off and show bare shoulders. (I know, right? Victorian England called and wants its mores back.) For biz-casual with sleeveless shirts, make sure to have some coordinating cardigans or more casual blazers. Short sleeved tops for women are fine, but finding them is like finding a unicorn.

The Limited, Brooks Brothers, and Ann Taylor all have REALLY good sales. Sign up for the email newsletters.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 pm

If you are remembered for your clothes, you fucked up. ESPECIALLY if you plan to work in Chicago. Navy/Charcoal, white and blue shirts, non-noticeable ties.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Sup,

Probably gonna deposit tomorrow. I have a great scholarship but I'm having trouble deciding between NU or UChi for less money but with a little better hiring prospects. Tell me why I'm stupid?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Sup,

Probably gonna deposit tomorrow. I have a great scholarship but I'm having trouble deciding between NU or UChi for less money but with a little better hiring prospects. Tell me why I'm stupid?

You don't want to live in Hyde Park, a parsec away from everything.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 pm

bjsesq wrote:If you are remembered for your clothes, you fucked up. ESPECIALLY if you plan to work in Chicago. Navy/Charcoal, white and blue shirts, non-noticeable ties.

I'm wearing a lime green skirt and white blazer tomorrow. 8)

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I made the Kessel Run on a bus from HP and it wasn't bad. Do better.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Better prospects at biglaw? Probably not but for the highest end boutiques. Better prospects for clerkships and academia? Undeniably. You know where you would have to end up to get any of those opportunities (class rank wise). It's a balancing act, man. I can't do it for you.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Better prospects at biglaw? Probably not but for the highest end boutiques. Better prospects for clerkships and academia? Undeniably. You know where you would have to end up to get any of those opportunities (class rank wise). It's a balancing act, man. I can't do it for you.

But, ok :|

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Having met you, I think you'll probably have a lot more fun here. But that's obviously not the big deciding factor. Good luck, let us know what you decide!

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Will be in Chicago tomm through Sat making sure I have everything lined up for apt. Any furniture store recommendations other than Ikea? Will be moving to Chicago first week of May, and will prob. be living in Lakeview east. Also - any food recommendations for that area?

Thanks!!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Will be in Chicago tomm through Sat making sure I have everything lined up for apt. Any furniture store recommendations other than Ikea? Will be moving to Chicago first week of May, and will prob. be living in Lakeview east. Also - any food recommendations for that area?

Thanks!!

I lived at Belmont and Broadway for 1L. For food, I recommend:
  • Joy's (thai food) on broadway
  • Clarke's (breakfast diner food) right off the Belmont redline. Highly recommend getting the baked pancake.
  • Ann Sather's (brunch). Get the cinnamon rolls.
  • El Mariachi (tex-mex). Really small place on broadway.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Flips88 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Will be in Chicago tomm through Sat making sure I have everything lined up for apt. Any furniture store recommendations other than Ikea? Will be moving to Chicago first week of May, and will prob. be living in Lakeview east. Also - any food recommendations for that area?

Thanks!!

• Clarke's (breakfast diner food) right off the Belmont redline. Highly recommend getting the baked pancake.

Clarks and Mariachi are both goooooooood.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

You should come here so you don't have any more excuses for not hanging out with me.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Thanks!!

Clarks and Mariachi are both goooooooood.

god this has me craving a massive, unpretentious, quality midwestern burger. ten more weeks.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

You should come here so you don't have any more excuses for not hanging out with me.

Saturday was your fault.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Mal - Like boo said, it really depends on your goals. Both schools are fantastic, especially if you're considering staying in Chi after graduation. Of course, I love NU so I'm going to say come here, but seriously if it were me, I would take the higher scholly in a heartbeat. Especially if you're okay with doing biglaw instead of academia after graduation.

Fruit - this might not be Lakeview (still bad with neighborhoods other than streeterville :oops: ) but I've heard that DMK Burger and Crisp are great. Also Doughnut Vault and Molly's Cupcakes.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm

+1 for El Mariachi, Crisp, and Ann Sather. And Windy City Gyros when you're drunk at 3am.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: DMK Burger

Truffle friiiieeesssssss.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Samara wrote:+1 for El Mariachi, Crisp, and Ann Sather. And Windy City Gyros when you're drunk at 3am.

yes.

Clark's is pretty fucking great, too.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 am

kuma's too for burgers won't do you wrong

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Clarke's? Really? Ugh. So overpriced for what they offer.

Someone said DMK, but also their sister restaurant Fish Bar if you like seafood.
Kuma's / Kuma's Too for burgers
Sheffield's for BBQ (there are other, arguably better BBQ places in the city, but in the specific region of Lakeview, that's the best)
Cheesie's for grilled cheese / late night
Dimo's for pizza / late night
Tac Quick for thai

Ann Sather's is fine for brunch, but may I also suggest Southport Grocery, Kanela, and Chicago Diner.

There are many other tasty places, but those are the best off the top of my head

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:45 pm

hmlee wrote:Clarke's? Really? Ugh. So overpriced for what they offer.

Someone said DMK, but also their sister restaurant Fish Bar if you like seafood.
Kuma's / Kuma's Too for burgers
Sheffield's for BBQ (there are other, arguably better BBQ places in the city, but in the specific region of Lakeview, that's the best)
Cheesie's for grilled cheese / late night
Dimo's for pizza / late night
Tac Quick for thai

Ann Sather's is fine for brunch, but may I also suggest Southport Grocery, Kanela, and Chicago Diner.

There are many other tasty places, but those are the best off the top of my head

Crack sauce. WHO MAKES THE CRACK SAUCE

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”