Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:50 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Like, do they actually mean "casual"?

Slacks and a collared shirt should be fine for a dude. At any firm event, you don't want to be remembered for clothes. Always pick the most non-offensive, middle of the road shit possible.

Flagrant "don't wear pink you sissy" trolling.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:51 pm

:lol:

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Slacks and a collared shirt should be fine for a dude. At any firm event, you don't want to be remembered for clothes. Always pick the most non-offensive, middle of the road shit possible.

Flagrant "don't wear pink you sissy" trolling.

Indeed.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 am

franklyscarlet wrote:What the hell am I supposed to wear to this "causal" Quinn event?

The mean casual. All the partners were in jeans and a button down last year.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 am

They sincerely do not give a fuck.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 am

bk1 wrote:

every fiber of my being resists attending any sort of firm event in jeans. I'm going to have to chill the fuck out I guess. :oops:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:45 am

bk1 wrote:

I'm one of the people with 1L moot court/oral argument/whatever it is tomorrow night. The Quinn event got extended until 10pm for us, so they presumably know some people are coming right from mooting. Is wearing a suit in that case ok, or should I change (if i even go)?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:46 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I'm one of the people with 1L moot court/oral argument/whatever it is tomorrow night. The Quinn event got extended until 10pm for us, so they presumably know some people are coming right from mooting. Is wearing a suit in that case ok, or should I change (if i even go)?

Tell them you just came from moot court. You are seriously overthinking this.

oaken

Postby oaken » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

Are k-JDs or those with minimal WE at a significant disadvantage in OCI?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 am

oaken wrote:Are k-JDs or those with minimal WE at a significant disadvantage in OCI?

Asked and answered previously. Short answer: no.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Is the legal writing still graded, but uncurved? The last thread I found about it was a couple years old. Sorry if this has been answered previously.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:11 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Is the legal writing still graded, but uncurved? The last thread I found about it was a couple years old. Sorry if this has been answered previously.

Yes.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Is the legal writing still graded, but uncurved? The last thread I found about it was a couple years old. Sorry if this has been answered previously.

Yes.

Aren't they changing it before next year?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Yes.

Oh yeah. No clue on what they're doing though.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 pm

How much does a journal actually help in terms of employment? Is it a requirement or a help at all? What if the journal is not related to the type of employment you want?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:How much does a journal actually help in terms of employment? Is it a requirement or a help at all? What if the journal is not related to the type of employment you want?

For firms: I think people past people have informally looked at outcomes and seen that even LR does not really help overcome grades (at NU a certain number of LR spots go to people regardless of grades). I tend to think this is the case as firms love grades and LR (or any other journal) isn't going to help when your grades are mediocre. I think the main thing is that you don't want to be seen as a slacker and have an empty resume (conversely you don't need to stuff your resume like high school students do). You should have some substantive extracurrics whether that's a journal or moot court or whatever. I don't think the journals contents matter, though it can help portray interest in a certain area of law (e.g. if you want crim law it might help if you stack a bunch of things crim law related on your resume including journal stuff), but I don't think that's a huge factor.

For clerkships: judges care. It's going to hurt not being on a journal. It's going to hurt not being on an e-board. It's going to hurt being on a secondary as opposed to LR.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm

bk1 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Yes.

Oh yeah. No clue on what they're doing though.

From what I remember being on the SBA Interview committee, the ideas floating around were to make it three credits and have a more transparent grading system. Every single person who interviewed though said they wanted to keep it graded.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

I like that CLR is graded. I hate doing ungraded work, graded work almost certainly gets people to try harder and thus better improve their writing skills, more grades means more opportunity to avoid tanking your GPA, and it's the only way to get a grade first semester that isn't influenced by the time restraints of finals.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Samara wrote:I like that CLR is graded. I hate doing ungraded work, graded work almost certainly gets people to try harder and thus better improve their writing skills, more grades means more opportunity to avoid tanking your GPA, and it's the only way to get a grade first semester that isn't influenced by the time restraints of finals.

Yeah, I think it's fine that it's graded. What I object to is the vague feedback that makes it so hard to figure out what you should do to improve.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:I like that CLR is graded. I hate doing ungraded work, graded work almost certainly gets people to try harder and thus better improve their writing skills, more grades means more opportunity to avoid tanking your GPA, and it's the only way to get a grade first semester that isn't influenced by the time restraints of finals.

Yeah, I think it's fine that it's graded. What I object to is the vague feedback that makes it so hard to figure out what you should do to improve.

Just follow TREAC! And when you follow it, follow it some more!

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

TREACC

Don't forget, counter argument, then conclusion.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Icculus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

TREACC

Don't forget, counter argument, then conclusion.

3L. Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon't care.

TexasAggie13

Postby TexasAggie13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 am

Just curious what you guys think, will the incoming 10% decrease in class size have any significant effect on employment prospects or is it just a way to be more selective with applicants?

Also, although I am leaning heavily towards NU, I don't really want to spend the rest of my life in Chicago or NYC. If you have connections to a strong secondary market (TX) how hard is it to make your way back there post-graduation?

Thanks!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 am

TexasAggie13 wrote:Just curious what you guys think, will the incoming 10% decrease in class size have any significant effect on employment prospects or is it just a way to be more selective with applicants?

Also, although I am leaning heavily towards NU, I don't really want to spend the rest of my life in Chicago or NYC. If you have connections to a strong secondary market (TX) how hard is it to make your way back there post-graduation?

Thanks!

Someone else might be better equipped to answer this question, but if you have solid ties to a secondary market you should actually be in a better position than someone hoping to get Chicago/NYC, I think. They'll appreciate the T14 name more and will like that you have ties and want to return. I also hear Dallas/Houston are very good for 1L SAs.

Disclaimer: I'm from California and I want SF/Chi, so I have no actual experience with secondary markets, this is just what I've heard.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:07 am

I can't speak to bidding TX from NU, but I think Texas is generally weird because the norm (from what I can tell) down there is to have 2 SAs per summer and so their programs are all only 5-6 weeks.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”