Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blumpbeef

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Can anyone PM me the Stotland email? I obviously don't get listserv emails anymore, but I really want to read it after they made fun of it at Wigmore last night...

I regret to inform you that Hanna Stotland will be leaving her role as the Associate Director of the Center for Career Strategy and Advancement at the end of this week. Hanna joined the Law School in 2008 and has specialized in clerkship guidance, alumni counseling and alternative careers. Her five years at Northwestern Law included banner clerkship placement seasons due in no small part to Hanna's efforts.

Following Hanna's departure, she will turn her attention to her admissions consulting business, which has been a part-time endeavor for a number of years. You can learn more about her educational consultancy at http://hannastotland.webs.com.

Please join me in thanking Hanna for her years of service to Northwestern Law and wishing her good luck in her consulting practice. Going forward, you can reach her at Stotland@post.harvard.edu.

And I think they were being serious when they said the lines were written before she was fired.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
And I think they were being serious when they said the lines were written before she was fired.

verified.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Well then.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:16 am

Recent admit here. Any info on 1Ls getting summer gigs abroad? Not study abroad, but internships, etc? I'm thinking in the Greater China area.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 pm

HankBashir wrote:Recent admit here. Any info on 1Ls getting summer gigs abroad? Not study abroad, but internships, etc? I'm thinking in the Greater China area.

I know one student going to Korea, another to the Virgin Islands (not abroad technically). On Symplicity I know I saw listings for Indonesia, Korea, Costa Rica, and maybe a couple others. I have no idea on what % of people get these sort of jobs though, I'd guess it's pretty small.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

verified.

+1. But man it was way funnier/more awkward after that email Friday. Timing couldn't have been better.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Kikero wrote:
HankBashir wrote:Recent admit here. Any info on 1Ls getting summer gigs abroad? Not study abroad, but internships, etc? I'm thinking in the Greater China area.

I know one student going to Korea, another to the Virgin Islands (not abroad technically). On Symplicity I know I saw listings for Indonesia, Korea, Costa Rica, and maybe a couple others. I have no idea on what % of people get these sort of jobs though, I'd guess it's pretty small.

Last year two friends of mine ended up in china.

MKX

Postby MKX » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Hey just wanted to clear something up. I read somewhere that NWlaw prefers people who have a bachelor's plus work experience or a masters. Another thing it said is most of the 1Ls were about 26. Is this true? Do a lot of people get in right after under grad?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 pm

MKX wrote:Hey just wanted to clear something up. I read somewhere that NWlaw prefers people who have a bachelor's plus work experience or a masters. Another thing it said is most of the 1Ls were about 26. Is this true? Do a lot of people get in right after under grad?

I don't think a masters compensates for work experience, though working is becoming less important I think.

And no 26 sounds too high. It's probably 24 or 25.

About 10% go straight through.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:21 pm

MKX wrote:Hey just wanted to clear something up. I read somewhere that NWlaw prefers people who have a bachelor's plus work experience or a masters. Another thing it said is most of the 1Ls were about 26. Is this true? Do a lot of people get in right after under grad?

That is all true. Median age of the entering class is usually 25-26. 90% of the c/o 2015 had at least 1 year of work experience. In past years, it was even higher, but they are relaxing that a bit with the decrease in applications.

Some people do get in straight from UG and some are offered full-rides if they defer for a year to get the work experience.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Samara wrote: In past years, it was even higher, but they are relaxing that a bit with the decrease in applications.

Is it just me, or does this "relaxing" have the hilarious consequence of making it so that the 3Ls seem more than a year older than the 2Ls, and the 1Ls seem like they're all about 15?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Bumi wrote:
Samara wrote: In past years, it was even higher, but they are relaxing that a bit with the decrease in applications.

Is it just me, or does this "relaxing" have the hilarious consequence of making it so that the 3Ls seem more than a year older than the 2Ls, and the 1Ls seem like they're all about 15?

Never really noticed the age difference. The 1L's this year seem to be a lot more chill and fun than the 2L's were during their 1L year.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Bumi wrote:

haha, I don't feel 15 in comparison to you 3Ls if it makes you feel any better. Then again, I'm a tad on the older end and married, so maybe I'm the outlier.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:11 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Never really noticed the age difference. The 1L's this year seem to be a lot more chill and fun than the 2L's were during their 1L year.

That's something that cycles. Next year's 1Ls won't be as relaxed.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 pm

hmlee wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Bumi wrote:

That's something that cycles. Next year's 1Ls won't be as relaxed.

clearly next year's 1Ls will be the shit

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Does ANYONE have a Labor Law outline/notes that I could have? I will bake you any baked goods you want as a thank you.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:16 pm

What the hell am I supposed to wear to this "causal" Quinn event?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:16 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:What the hell am I supposed to wear to this "causal" Quinn event?

flip-flops

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:25 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:What the hell am I supposed to wear to this "causal" Quinn event?

IF (big if) I go I'll be in a suit from oral argument. :? I figure if they extended the event because of oral arguments, they'll understand when a bunch of people come in late wearing suits.

Otherwise I was thinking I would have worn the lime green skirt and white/navy blouse I got at AT the other night. Maybe. I do not have a lot of clothes between sloppy jeans and biz-cas, so I was hoping that fun/bright biz-cas would be ok.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

flip-flops

With cargo shorts.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Gimp mask

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Gimp mask

gimp formal?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Like, do they actually mean "casual"?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Gimp mask

gimp formal?

Where in the fuck?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Like, do they actually mean "casual"?

Slacks and a collared shirt should be fine for a dude. At any firm event, you don't want to be remembered for clothes. Always pick the most non-offensive, middle of the road shit possible.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”