Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Samara » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:51 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:Are there a lot of CA firms that come to OCI? I had found a list online of firms that NU has but it looked pretty dated.

I'd have to count it up to give you even a ballpark number, but I remember seeing a pretty healthy number of CA firms/offices on the recent bidlists. Chicago obviously dominates, but some CA-headquarted firms recruit heavily here. Paul Hastings comes to mind.

Micdiddy wrote:Also very curious about CA firms at OCI. Basically SF is the only market I really want (but obviously I will go elsewhere if necessary). Should I bid all SF/Cali or is that too risky?

I wouldn't bid only on SF. There wouldn't be enough firms/interview slots to do that even if you wanted. I'm pretty much Chicago or bust but I'm still going to bid on NY and secondary-market firms if for no other reason than the low bids would go to waste.

It really depends on grades though to determine how many realistically productive interviews you can get.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks, Samara! Follow-up question (for anyone): I went to college outside of CA, currently working out of state, and have only held down a barista gig in CA. On my résumé then it wouldn't be readily apparent that I have ties there, unless I put my high school on my résumé, which seems pretty stupid. Do I demonstrate ties in a cover letter or...?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:44 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:Thanks, Samara! Follow-up question (for anyone): I went to college outside of CA, currently working out of state, and have only held down a barista gig in CA. On my résumé then it wouldn't be readily apparent that I have ties there, unless I put my high school on my résumé, which seems pretty stupid. Do I demonstrate ties in a cover letter or...?

Cover letter.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:55 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Thanks, Samara! Follow-up question (for anyone): I went to college outside of CA, currently working out of state, and have only held down a barista gig in CA. On my résumé then it wouldn't be readily apparent that I have ties there, unless I put my high school on my résumé, which seems pretty stupid. Do I demonstrate ties in a cover letter or...?

Cover letter.



Can I put the lyrics to California Love in it?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:44 am

By my count, at least 55-60 CA offices came to 2011 OCI. I don't know if that is the number that gave callbacks (in which case the total would be higher) or that is just all the offices that came. Also keep in mind, midlaw isn't really a thing.

Micdiddy wrote:Also very curious about CA firms at OCI. Basically SF is the only market I really want (but obviously I will go elsewhere if necessary). Should I bid all SF/Cali or is that too risky?

This will heavily depend on your grades. If you really want biglaw and your grades aren't up to snuff for CA then it wouldn't really make sense to bid a ton on CA.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Bumi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:18 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Thanks, Samara! Follow-up question (for anyone): I went to college outside of CA, currently working out of state, and have only held down a barista gig in CA. On my résumé then it wouldn't be readily apparent that I have ties there, unless I put my high school on my résumé, which seems pretty stupid. Do I demonstrate ties in a cover letter or...?


I remember there being a lot of fear about this last year, but when we all got into the process it seemed to me that this wasn't that big of a deal. People successfully sold themselves to California offices with zero ties if they had a good story and good grades. You do it by expressing genuine and well-researched interest into the office or region. You don't do it by saying you like the "laid-back west-coast lifestyle," which is something a recruiter told me he hears often.

To the half of you who are reading this post who think oh man, that's good news, I was terrified to even try California: do try. Maybe don't waste bids in OCI on it if you're unsure, but if you're interested, don't just cut it out of your outside-of-OCI strategy because you don't have ties there. You never know.

To the half of you who are reading this post who think it is confirmation that you can be 100% california or bust and turn out fine: no one is safe. Please have backup plans. Everyone needs a plan B. It's even better if you have plans C through G, too.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:21 pm

What do you guys think of the newest LST and ABA placement data? I was hoping for it to be a little higher or are there reasons why it's at like 55% clerkship and big law? I'm a n00b 0L so I'm just curious how to interpret the c/o 2012 results compared to the other Chicago school I'm considering.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:25 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:What do you guys think of the newest LST and ABA placement data? I was hoping for it to be a little higher or are there reasons why it's at like 55% clerkship and big law? I'm a n00b 0L so I'm just curious how to interpret the c/o 2012 results compared to the other Chicago school I'm considering.

There will always be year to year fluctuations (both high and low). I wouldn't put much stock in a single year for any school. I've never really thought of NU as being any better than any other lower T14 because the data over time doesn't really warrant that conclusion.

User avatar
TexasAggie13
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby TexasAggie13 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 pm

I am getting pretty excited about Northwestern, but I was wondering about their placement in the south. Is getting a job in the south as tough as the NU employment stats make it out to be or is there a lot of self selection going on there? My definition of the south is pretty liberal,I prefer Texas/Georgia but I would be happy anywhere in the southern half of the US. Just curious, thanks for answering our questions!

FWIW I have lived in TX for the vast majority of my life but I also have a ton of family connections in Georgia and Kansas.

User avatar
Solistus
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:23 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Solistus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm about 95% sure at this point that I'm going to end up at NU, so I'm starting to research apartments in the area. Living in Streeterville would be nice, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much of a premium on rent while living on ~20k/year. Lakeview looks pretty appealing as a balance between cheap rent and a short commute. I know this isn't really a question, per se, but any advice on the topic would be appreciated.

User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby oaken » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Solistus wrote:I'm about 95% sure at this point that I'm going to end up at NU, so I'm starting to research apartments in the area. Living in Streeterville would be nice, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much of a premium on rent while living on ~20k/year. Lakeview looks pretty appealing as a balance between cheap rent and a short commute. I know this isn't really a question, per se, but any advice on the topic would be appreciated.


I know pretty much nothing about Chicago but if I go to NU I'm probably going to try and find a place in Lincoln Park, good prices and looks sweet

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Samara » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Solistus wrote:I'm about 95% sure at this point that I'm going to end up at NU, so I'm starting to research apartments in the area. Living in Streeterville would be nice, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much of a premium on rent while living on ~20k/year. Lakeview looks pretty appealing as a balance between cheap rent and a short commute. I know this isn't really a question, per se, but any advice on the topic would be appreciated.
1L living in Lakeview and loving it. 20 min commute on the express bus. I posted some stuff in the cycle thread, but feel free to PM me.

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby hmlee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 pm

I've lived in Lakeview for five years now (so, the year before I began school at NU, the three years there, and now the year after I graduated) and I love it. Streeterville is really barren -- I suppose it's nice to roll into class in your pjs, but I don't recommend it as a good place to live. Lincoln Park is fine too, but there are portions of it that are alarmingly close to the DePaul undergrad campus....

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:15 pm

The Email about the Career Services director leaving is a subtle "we fired her ass" right?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The Email about the Career Services director leaving is a subtle "we fired her ass" right?

Elbowed out by Kadens.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The Email about the Career Services director leaving is a subtle "we fired her ass" right?


I hope so. She's terrible.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The Email about the Career Services director leaving is a subtle "we fired her ass" right?


did she fall, or was she pushed

as BK said not much room for her after Rodriguez brought in Kadens

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The Email about the Career Services director leaving is a subtle "we fired her ass" right?


did she fall, or was she pushed

as BK said not much room for her after Rodriguez brought in Kadens


The part about leaving to pursue her side business SCREAMED we fired her.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The Email about the Career Services director leaving is a subtle "we fired her ass" right?


did she fall, or was she pushed

as BK said not much room for her after Rodriguez brought in Kadens


The part about leaving to pursue her side business SCREAMED we fired her.

Agreed.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:20 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The Email about the Career Services director leaving is a subtle "we fired her ass" right?


did she fall, or was she pushed

as BK said not much room for her after Rodriguez brought in Kadens


The part about leaving to pursue her side business SCREAMED we fired her.

Agreed.


yup.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13605
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 am

I don't know if it necessarily screamed fired, but she probably felt knocked down a peg or two having someone come in and do her job infinitely better than her in a matter of months and to basically be demoted to one of that person's underlings. Fired or leaving voluntarily, it's all probably for the best of all parties involved.

User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Flips88 wrote:I don't know if it necessarily screamed fired, but she probably felt knocked down a peg or two having someone come in and do her job infinitely better than her in a matter of months and to basically be demoted to one of that person's underlings. Fired or leaving voluntarily, it's all probably for the best of all parties involved.


Agreed. I think the day Kadens was hired, the writing was on the wall for all to see.

Alex Durden
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Alex Durden » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Hello to everyone. I'm new on the forum and way ahead of the game.

Northwestern is my first choice but I wouldn't be attending until 2014. My question is this:

I will be living in Tokyo from this summer until next summer, which obviously encompasses the application period. How accommodating do you think the admissions office would be to me conducting the mandatory on-campus interview for Early Decision early? Like, REALLY early. I would have to do it in late June or early July. I would fly back to do it, but would prefer not to as it would be quite expensive and have me asking my employer for favors pretty early on in the working relationship.

Given your experience, do you think they would make that exception? Or even let me do it with one of the alumni living in Japan, or over skype?

Your advice is appreciated.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 pm

They let overseas students interview over skype, im not sure if this applies to Early Action though.

User avatar
hmlee
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby hmlee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Can anyone PM me the Stotland email? I obviously don't get listserv emails anymore, but I really want to read it after they made fun of it at Wigmore last night...




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carasrook, FascinatedWanderer, Lacepiece23, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests