Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MAHamlin

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby MAHamlin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:08 pm

I have a question regarding moving to Chicago. Does anyone know anything about the Roscoe Village area? I'm looking for an area with a good public school for my daughter (she'll be in 3rd grade next year) that isn't stupidly expensive. I looks like I could pick up a decent 3BR unit there for <$2500 and the Audobon Elementary School is supposedly great. How awful would the commute be? The Brown line supposedly runs from Roscoe Village into town, how long would this take? Any advice or shared experience would be awesome!

Or... does anyone know of better areas? I would strongly prefer a 3BR as I do have two children, but we could make it work with a 2BR if necessary. We'll also be moving with two small dogs, so the place needs to be pet friendly. As noted earlier, access to good public schools is a big factor.

Thanks much!

tcliff

Postby tcliff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 pm

What are the gym options for NU students like? I believe I read there was a deal with a gym -- do most students take advantage of that, or find something on their own? Does the gym have many free weights? I like to stay pretty active, I plan on biking a lot, but I'll want somewhere I can do other exercise as well.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:04 pm

tcliff wrote:What are the gym options for NU students like? I believe I read there was a deal with a gym -- do most students take advantage of that, or find something on their own? Does the gym have many free weights? I like to stay pretty active, I plan on biking a lot, but I'll want somewhere I can do other exercise as well.

Most of the big apartment buildings have gyms, and students get a good deal on an LA Fitness (I think it was $184 or something this year) nearby. It used to be a really nice private club, so the facility is bigger/nicer than your run-of-the mill suburban gym, but in terms of amenities it's basically a regular LA Fitness.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

tcliff wrote:What are the gym options for NU students like? I believe I read there was a deal with a gym -- do most students take advantage of that, or find something on their own? Does the gym have many free weights? I like to stay pretty active, I plan on biking a lot, but I'll want somewhere I can do other exercise as well.

Gym is pretty nice, it lets you use any LA fitness in the country for about $180 a year. There's a pool and showers and a decent number of free weights and machines. No courts or running tracks, but there are some public ones opposite the law school.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 pm

MAHamlin wrote:I have a question regarding moving to Chicago. Does anyone know anything about the Roscoe Village area? I'm looking for an area with a good public school for my daughter (she'll be in 3rd grade next year) that isn't stupidly expensive. I looks like I could pick up a decent 3BR unit there for <$2500 and the Audobon Elementary School is supposedly great. How awful would the commute be? The Brown line supposedly runs from Roscoe Village into town, how long would this take? Any advice or shared experience would be awesome!

Or... does anyone know of better areas? I would strongly prefer a 3BR as I do have two children, but we could make it work with a 2BR if necessary. We'll also be moving with two small dogs, so the place needs to be pet friendly. As noted earlier, access to good public schools is a big factor.

Thanks much!

If you live near the brown line, the commute is totally doable. It prob takes on average ~45 mins to/from school taking the brown line to the red line from there. It can be frustrating sometimes because you generally have to give yourself about an hour if you want to make sure you're there on time, but it's not bad at all.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:02 am

Blumpbeef wrote:

Gym is pretty nice, it lets you use any LA fitness in the country for about $180 a year. There's a pool and showers and a decent number of free weights and machines. No courts or running tracks, but there are some public ones opposite the law school.

Its nice in terms of cardio machines and decent for resistance machinrs. Significantly sub par for free weights.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 am

splitmuch wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

Its nice in terms of cardio machines and decent for resistance machinrs. Significantly sub par for free weights.

Depends on what youre comparing it to. A lot of gyms don't even have free weights. There's a lot of dumbells, a squat rack and I think four benches.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:33 am

splitmuch wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

The musclebound 1L contingent seems to be maintaining their ape-like gait, though. So there must be sufficient heavy things to grunt at somewhere.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:04 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

The musclebound 1L contingent seems to be maintaining their ape-like gait, though. So there must be sufficient heavy things to grunt at somewhere.

Watch out, some of them read TLS ;)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:05 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

The muscle bound dudes are actually decent people.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 am

bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The musclebound 1L contingent seems to be maintaining their ape-like gait, though. So there must be sufficient heavy things to grunt at somewhere.

+1. Actually, those 1Ls are some of the absolute smartest, funniest (and nerdiest) people I've met at NU.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:18 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The musclebound 1L contingent seems to be maintaining their ape-like gait, though. So there must be sufficient heavy things to grunt at somewhere.

+1. Actually, those 1Ls are some of the absolute smartest, funniest (and nerdiest) people I've met at NU.

Yes, they are very nice guys. Even bjs. (you missed what was actually a moderately fun mock town council hearing, btw, boo)

Apologies to the swole folk.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:I have a question regarding moving to Chicago. Does anyone know anything about the Roscoe Village area? I'm looking for an area with a good public school for my daughter (she'll be in 3rd grade next year) that isn't stupidly expensive. I looks like I could pick up a decent 3BR unit there for <$2500 and the Audobon Elementary School is supposedly great. How awful would the commute be? The Brown line supposedly runs from Roscoe Village into town, how long would this take? Any advice or shared experience would be awesome!

Thanks much!

If you live near the brown line, the commute is totally doable. It prob takes on average ~45 mins to/from school taking the brown line to the red line from there. It can be frustrating sometimes because you generally have to give yourself about an hour if you want to make sure you're there on time, but it's not bad at all.

If you're looking at that type of commute, it might be better to be in Evanston or Rogers Park along the intercampus shuttle route.

http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/t ... ampus.html

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

Anyone have an outline (either personal or in one of their outline banks) for Environmental Law with Barsa or First Amendment with DeSanto? If so I could definitely use them and would be more than happy to hook you up with anything and everything I have access to! Thanks aaallllllll.

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Thanks much!

If you're looking at that type of commute, it might be better to be in Evanston or Rogers Park along the intercampus shuttle route.

Sorry, I wouldn't send my kids to school in Rogers Park, and Evanston can be hit or miss in terms of quality. Audobon is very good; some similarly-ranked options include Blaine (a little further north in Lakeview, you can live near the red line or the brown line and might get more for your money, lots of condo rentals available) and Bell (also on the brown line, but in a pricey single family home area, not sure how many condos/rentals are available). It isn't bad at all to rely on the 45ish minute commute, I used it to do my reading. You will probably live far enough away that driving and parking at the school garage (incredibly cheap) becomes a viable option as well, if you will have access to a car. That can cut the commute considerably, depending on the time of day.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:11 pm

windycityblues wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Thanks much!

Sorry, I wouldn't send my kids to school in Rogers Park, and Evanston can be hit or miss in terms of quality. Audobon is very good; some similarly-ranked options include Blaine (a little further north in Lakeview, you can live near the red line or the brown line and might get more for your money, lots of condo rentals available) and Bell (also on the brown line, but in a pricey single family home area, not sure how many condos/rentals are available). It isn't bad at all to rely on the 45ish minute commute, I used it to do my reading. You will probably live far enough away that driving and parking at the school garage (incredibly cheap) becomes a viable option as well, if you will have access to a car. That can cut the commute considerably, depending on the time of day.

You might have to get a little bit more creative if you want to prioritize schools. The folks I know with older kids in public school live much further out (like Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, etc.) and take the metra in. It's not a standard law school experience, but people make it work and the Metra is a genuinely productive commute, but the downside is the cost as Metra isn't included in student fees. You might also look at Oak Park, it has good schools and some affordable rentals, esp when compared to prices in Streeterville. I live near Oak Park and make that commute work, you can take the blue line in and transfer to the red.

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone! The PM's and in-thread advice have really been helpful, especially considering I'm nearly certain I'll be at NU this fall. Roscoe Village is looking like a strong possibility given the elementary schools in the area (Bell and Audobon). I'm entirely comfortable with a 45 minute commute. The public schools where I live in Indianapolis are awful so I send my daughter to a charter school. Unfortunately the school doesn't offer busing and is far away so it adds 40 minutes to my morning and afternoon commutes meaning I spend at least two hours in the car each day. So 45 minutes in a train or bus where I can at least read or goof around on my phone sounds like a dream come true!

Can't wait to see the campus during ASW in a couple weeks!

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:20 pm

edit: There are too many northwestern threads. wrong one.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm pretty seriously considering NU at this point and had a question about portability.

If I'm from CA (raised in the Bay, family now lives in SoCal and I've lived there for a bit), and go to school in Chicago, would I possibly have options in three markets- CA, Chicago, NYC? For NYC it sounds like ties are almost never "needed" there so it's anyone's game. Could be wrong. I'm not really sure how OCI works at NU, but in terms of hedging my bets, being able to have a shot in 3 markets seems like it would be a good thing. Is this right? dumb 0L here so just thinking aloud. ideally I'd like to end up back in CA, but I'm not gonna be picky if i can land a biglaw gig outta LS.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:00 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:I'm pretty seriously considering NU at this point and had a question about portability.

If I'm from CA (raised in the Bay, family now lives in SoCal and I've lived there for a bit), and go to school in Chicago, would I possibly have options in three markets- CA, Chicago, NYC? For NYC it sounds like ties are almost never "needed" there so it's anyone's game. Could be wrong. I'm not really sure how OCI works at NU, but in terms of hedging my bets, being able to have a shot in 3 markets seems like it would be a good thing. Is this right? dumb 0L here so just thinking aloud. ideally I'd like to end up back in CA, but I'm not gonna be picky if i can land a biglaw gig outta LS.

A 2L or 3L can confirm or deny this, but my understanding is that if you try to bid on three major markets in OCI, you will do too weakly in all three and risk striking out. The conventional wisdom to max your interviews seems to be to bid first on your major market of choice, then NY firms with big classes, then secondary/tertiary market.

If you want to end up in CA, it's probably smart to stick mostly with mass mailing for Chicago firms come OCI. Most will want more of a tie than just being at NU and will likely be more competitive. It's an "option" but realistically it's hard to get a good footing in more than two major markets. (All of this is of course secondary to grades.)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:32 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:I'm pretty seriously considering NU at this point and had a question about portability.

It's possible to gun for 3 markets (4 technically if you do both SoCal and NorCal), but you have to do it right. Samara's right, you shouldn't be bidding more than 2 markets at OCI since it is often a surefire way to get fewer screeners. But you can shore this up by massmailing all 3-4 markets. Massmailing conversion rate is generally pretty low so your chances will definitely be higher with the OCI markets. There is one other option if you are a diverse candidate (female, LGBT, or minority), you can do regional diversity job fairs. This is generally a decent way to often get at least 2 (if your grades are average) to upwards of 8-10 (if your grades are good) screening interviews in other markets. There are regional diversity job fairs for LA/SF/CHI (not sure about NYC) and plenty of other markets.

That said, it really is going to depend heavily on your grades. If your grades are average you probably won't have a "good" shot anywhere other than NYC. Chicago and CA are tough markets. Chicago might be tough as well if your resume is all CA and the only non-CA thing on it is Northwestern.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm

bk1 wrote:

It's possible to gun for 3 markets (4 technically if you do both SoCal and NorCal), but you have to do it right. Samara's right, you shouldn't be bidding more than 2 markets at OCI since it is often a surefire way to get fewer screeners. But you can shore this up by massmailing all 3-4 markets. Massmailing conversion rate is generally pretty low so your chances will definitely be higher with the OCI markets. There is one other option if you are a diverse candidate (female, LGBT, or minority), you can do regional diversity job fairs. This is generally a decent way to often get at least 2 (if your grades are average) to upwards of 8-10 (if your grades are good) screening interviews in other markets. There are regional diversity job fairs for LA/SF/CHI (not sure about NYC) and plenty of other markets.

That said, it really is going to depend heavily on your grades. If your grades are average you probably won't have a "good" shot anywhere other than NYC. Chicago and CA are tough markets. Chicago might be tough as well if your resume is all CA and the only non-CA thing on it is Northwestern.

thanks for all the insight, guys. didn't realize that being a female makes me diverse, but i'll take it.

i'm definitely CA biglaw>CA midlaw>everywhere else. I really don't want to turn down the NU money but also don't want to screw myself out of my desired market. My family/friends are there, and I've lived all over the country (10+ states and counting. have never been to NYC though which makes me a little hesitant about saying that I'm okay with NYC biglaw). I know I want to be in CA when all is said and done.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Samara wrote:

A 2L or 3L can confirm or deny this, but my understanding is that if you try to bid on three major markets in OCI, you will do too weakly in all three and risk striking out. The conventional wisdom to max your interviews seems to be to bid first on your major market of choice, then NY firms with big classes, then secondary/tertiary market.

If you want to end up in CA, it's probably smart to stick mostly with mass mailing for Chicago firms come OCI. Most will want more of a tie than just being at NU and will likely be more competitive. It's an "option" but realistically it's hard to get a good footing in more than two major markets. (All of this is of course secondary to grades.)

Are there a lot of CA firms that come to OCI? I had found a list online of firms that NU has but it looked pretty dated.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Also very curious about CA firms at OCI. Basically SF is the only market I really want (but obviously I will go elsewhere if necessary). Should I bid all SF/Cali or is that too risky?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”