Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Samara

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Samara » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:I would also note that things do vary year to year. c/o 2013 had fewer people gunning for NYC than c/o 2014, iirc, requiring that c/o 2014ers bid NYC higher to get screeners.

+1. The year before us all the top NYC firms made it through the late teens/early 20s. Though I doubt Boston will ever go top 15.

Were y'all able to gauge any of the trends ahead of time? I've pretty much only heard about people wanting Chicago or CA, but it's really early and it could just be the people I talk to.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:I would also note that things do vary year to year. c/o 2013 had fewer people gunning for NYC than c/o 2014, iirc, requiring that c/o 2014ers bid NYC higher to get screeners.

+1. The year before us all the top NYC firms made it through the late teens/early 20s. Though I doubt Boston will ever go top 15.

Were y'all able to gauge any of the trends ahead of time? I've pretty much only heard about people wanting Chicago or CA, but it's really early and it could just be the people I talk to.

I had no idea. Obviously if I did I would have changed my strategy. Most people I talked to were Chi or DC. I also was surprised so many people bid the selective firms, but in retrospect I probably should have guessed considering that while they are selective they also have huge classes.

Edit: Again, though, it is way too early to be worrying about this. I didn't even think about this stuff until at least June. So while I am happy to help, especially when OCI gets closer, I really think you guys shouldn't worry about this yet.
Last edited by Icculus on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I'm wondering if every year's results end up being a reaction to the year before's, causing some sort of sin wave cycle. :P

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I'm wondering if every year's results end up being a reaction to the year before's, causing some sort of sin wave cycle. :P

Hit it right on the head.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:

A lot of those Chicago people will realize at some point that they need a second big market. The only reliable second market is NYC, unless you're from TX.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:

haha, yeah, I wondered if that were the case. I guess that means bid low on top NYC firms!

It is really early, but jerbs is always in the back of your mind. Lurking. Waiting.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:Were y'all able to gauge any of the trends ahead of time? I've pretty much only heard about people wanting Chicago or CA, but it's really early and it could just be the people I talk to.

haha, yeah, I wondered if that were the case. I guess that means bid low on top NYC firms!

It is really early, but jerbs is always in the back of your mind. Lurking. Waiting.

I'm still fucking worrying about THIS summer.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 pm

What is the CA representation like at OCI? For someone who is exclusively Cali-centric, it looks like NU does pretty good placing into CA. Anecdotal, but my dad just hired a NU grad for in-house in CA and he spoke so so highly of NU. Plus with the cut in class size, I'm looking more and more at NU.

Also how cold does it get really? sincerely, thin-skinned californian

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:What is the CA representation like at OCI? For someone who is exclusively Cali-centric, it looks like NU does pretty good placing into CA. Anecdotal, but my dad just hired a NU grad for in-house in CA and he spoke so so highly of NU. Plus with the cut in class size, I'm looking more and more at NU.

1) Your dad should hire you.

2) Pretty cold.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:What is the CA representation like at OCI? For someone who is exclusively Cali-centric, it looks like NU does pretty good placing into CA. Anecdotal, but my dad just hired a NU grad for in-house in CA and he spoke so so highly of NU. Plus with the cut in class size, I'm looking more and more at NU.

Honestly, the Californians whined a bunch when it first got barely chilly (like 50 degrees) and then as soon as it got actually cold (and then snowy), they seemed like they were enjoying the novelty. There've only been a couple of ridiculous days where the weather just sucked sideways with ice pellets, and even the natives were hating life.

As for actual temperatures, we had one weekend where it hit 2 degrees (-17 or something with the windchill) during the day. Sunny and no precip, but legit COLD for a day.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

1) Your dad should hire you.

2) Pretty cold.

He's HR and hired a GC, and the dude has 20+ years of legal WE. Not happening, sadly.

damn.

oaken

Postby oaken » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 pm

is the bidding process super complicated or am i just dumb? can someone explain in detail how "bidding" firms works? do you have, like, points you can assign to firms? or regions?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 pm

oaken wrote:is the bidding process super complicated or am i just dumb? can someone explain in detail how "bidding" firms works? do you have, like, points you can assign to firms? or regions?

Have you ever ranked anything, ever? It works pretty much like that you just freak out more about it.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm wondering if every year's results end up being a reaction to the year before's, causing some sort of sin wave cycle. :P

I didn't think there was much fluctuation recently of the fact that Chicago and DC are brutal.

oaken

Postby oaken » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
oaken wrote:is the bidding process super complicated or am i just dumb? can someone explain in detail how "bidding" firms works? do you have, like, points you can assign to firms? or regions?

Have you ever ranked anything, ever? It works pretty much like that you just freak out more about it.

ok so it's just ranking things in order? that's what i thought but some comment a few pages back made me think you could assign relative weights to firms (outside of just normal ranking)

i'm going to bed

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

oaken wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

ok so it's just ranking things in order? that's what i thought but some comment a few pages back made me think you could assign relative weights to firms (outside of just normal ranking)

i'm going to bed

only inasmuch as 1 is more heavily weighted than 2. The lottery algorithm does the rest.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'm wondering if every year's results end up being a reaction to the year before's, causing some sort of sin wave cycle. :P

I didn't think there was much fluctuation recently of the fact that Chicago and DC are brutal.

I am an idiot and attempted to make a sin joke and failed. Damn it!!!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm from California too, and while I can't speak to the representation at OCI (since I'm still a 1L), I can tell you a bit about the weather. I've lived in CA all my life, most recently in SoCal, and the weather really isn't all that hard to get accustomed to. Yes, it is WAY WAY colder way faster (it hits the low 40s in like, October), and it stays cold for longer, but as long as you prepare yourself it's really not that bad. Just make sure you get a THICK jacket (we're talking big puffy down jacket that goes at least to your knees) and some good gloves. Your body adjusts faster than you would expect.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I'm from California too, and while I can't speak to the representation at OCI (since I'm still a 1L), I can tell you a bit about the weather. I've lived in CA all my life, most recently in SoCal, and the weather really isn't all that hard to get accustomed to. Yes, it is WAY WAY colder way faster (it hits the low 40s in like, October), and it stays cold for longer, but as long as you prepare yourself it's really not that bad. Just make sure you get a THICK jacket (we're talking big puffy down jacket that goes at least to your knees) and some good gloves. Your body adjusts faster than you would expect.
It may have hit the 40s in October, but it also hit the 70s in December. That was strange.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

It may have hit the 40s in October, but it also hit the 70s in December. That was strange.

Not for a Californian, and she was asking specifically about the cold.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:02 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I'm just adding a factoid to the conversation so she doesn't think it hit 40 in October and got colder from then until February. :P

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:14 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:Also how cold does it get really? sincerely, thin-skinned californian

it's hard to describe how cold it really gets and a lot of it depends on what the wind is like (see picture) -- but crumps is totally right that if you are properly prepared, you will survive AND the snow is kinda fun. serious though, get a legit jacket, like NF triclimate or canada goose if you got the skrilla + gloves/scarf/earmuffs/beanie

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:26 am

God, I hope nobody will judge me when I start walking around campus in a BAD ASS NF TRICLIMATE LEGIT JACKET with gloves, scarves, earmuffs and beanies in ..... 40 degree weather.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:59 am

It's pretty good for the most part but there are a few glaring holes. GDC's CA offices don't come here. For people at the tippy top of the class, MTO doesn't come here either.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 am

bk1 wrote:

It's pretty good for the most part but there are a few glaring holes. GDC's CA offices don't come here. For people at the tippy top of the class, MTO doesn't come here either.

I'dd add that people still get jobs at those places, it just takes more initiative than OCI

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”