Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:19 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Get a clinic gig. They're absolutely fine and won't at all count against you in OCI. Plus Chicago kicks ass in the summer, give it a chance.

If you end up doing a PI job, take the PI practicum on the side. 4 credits of guaranteed A.

Even if you don't get one of the work/study gigs you can still take clinic for credit...you'll actually probably get better experience there than at a lot of PI gigs. If I could go back I would do Clinic + some classes, lots of A credit, lots of hours and lots of flexibility. IF any employers ask about your summer (not all do) they'll ask bland questions like "what did you like about it?" you can answer that for just about any experience.

How does one even try for a clinic? I have zero information on it besides my 30-second spiel taken straight from the viewbook that I give as we ride the elevator to the 8th floor on a campus tour. And then I point out the view and then we leave.

I think you can just sign up for it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:Get a clinic gig. They're absolutely fine and won't at all count against you in OCI. Plus Chicago kicks ass in the summer, give it a chance.

If you end up doing a PI job, take the PI practicum on the side. 4 credits of guaranteed A.

Even if you don't get one of the work/study gigs you can still take clinic for credit...you'll actually probably get better experience there than at a lot of PI gigs. If I could go back I would do Clinic + some classes, lots of A credit, lots of hours and lots of flexibility. IF any employers ask about your summer (not all do) they'll ask bland questions like "what did you like about it?" you can answer that for just about any experience.

How does one even try for a clinic? I have zero information on it besides my 30-second spiel taken straight from the viewbook that I give as we ride the elevator to the 8th floor on a campus tour. And then I point out the view and then we leave.

I think you can just sign up for it.
...where? Is there a list on someone's office door? (I assume not.)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:24 pm

I thought you just bid on it in Caesar, but I guess not. Only the entrepreneurship clinic is on the summer schedule. But Baron and Reed are pretty cool. '

Look on simplicity, I think they listed them there my 1L.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I thought you just bid on it in Caesar, but I guess not. Only the entrepreneurship clinic is on the summer schedule. But Baron and Reed are pretty cool. '

Look on simplicity, I think they listed them there my 1L.

Yeah, but you need entrepreneurship law as a class as a prereq, and BA as a prereg for that. EL clinic is a hard one to get.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:26 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

Does the A count before OCI?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Sadly no, unless you have a super late CB. But it'll help pad your GPA in case you take a dive as a 2L.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm pretty sure all the clinics who hire work-study in the summer also have the class option...normally you bid and they are hard to get, but in the summer there's no bidding/points and you just sign up...I know for certain one guy who did the Civil Lit Clinic last summer and not as a work-study. I'd email Armando up in the clinic and ask him, or maybe the registrar?

Summer grades aren't reported until after OCI...can count if you're mass-mailing in the fall.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:But it'll help pad your GPA in case you take a dive as a 2L.

*cough*

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:30 pm

For all applicants/those considering attending...

Our Dean sent out an email today regarding where the school is going that is posted on the school website: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/news/ne ... cfm?ID=619

He, again, is raising tuition by "just 3%" :roll:

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Flips88 wrote:For all applicants/those considering attending...

Our Dean sent out an email today regarding where the school is going that is posted on the school website: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/news/ne ... cfm?ID=619

(acknowledges insane debt rates relative to income)
(raises tuition to keep debt rates up with inflation)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:41 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Better than the three Oregon schools, which have raised tuition like 30% the last 4 years.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:44 pm

if nothing else, D-Rod is a real pro at burying the lede.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Better than the three Oregon schools, which have raised tuition like 30% the last 4 years.

And?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

As GA said, not for OCI. However, you do get it back soon enough that you can use it to mass mail which may not be the worst idea if your GPA isn't so great. I know that others have used this strategy successfully in past years.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Kudos to the dean for getting in front of the U.S. News rankings by releasing his big "we're doing great! things are a-happening!" e-mail BEFORE the rankings were leaked.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/03/the-2014 ... l-rankings

We stayed the same right? Is Duke really better than us?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Or the other scenario: you're waiting on a firm after a CB and the grades drop. Send them your new transcript. Might not make that big of a difference, but why not give yourself that boost, however big.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 pm

purpletiger wrote:Kudos to the dean for getting in front of the U.S. News rankings by releasing his big "we're doing great! things are a-happening!" e-mail BEFORE the rankings were leaked.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/03/the-2014 ... l-rankings

We stayed the same right? Is Duke really better than us?

Yup. From what I understand, we get boned on judge and peer rankings, probably because we do comparatively worse in clerkships.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Credit where it's due, that's a big thing that we're trying to change. D-Rod brought in Kadens from Texas, who is a boss at getting kids in clerkships.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Credit where it's due, that's a big thing that we're trying to change. D-Rod brought in Kadens from Texas, who is a boss at getting kids in clerkships.

Yeah, I've heard great things about her. Interested to see how we do.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Yeah, from what I've heard from 3Ls, the clerkship "program" in previous years was disorganized, unhelpful, and at times they received harmful advice.

Kadens is streamlining everything and working to build a structured program. She knows what she is doing and has lots of connections to judges. I expect our numbers to rise over the next few years.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Credit where it's due, that's a big thing that we're trying to change. D-Rod brought in Kadens from Texas, who is a boss at getting kids in clerkships. everything.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 pm

I think Kadens is the only thing I actually like about this school.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I think Kadens is the only thing I actually like about this school.

DAT NORTHWESTERN DIFFERENCE

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:38 am

Samara wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:I think Kadens is the only thing I actually like about this school.

I think the 1Ls have a far different opinion of her than most 2Ls.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 am

Icculus wrote:
Samara wrote:

I think the 1Ls have a far different opinion of her than most 2Ls.

My joke was to the rest of his statement, but good to know.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”