Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
purpletiger
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby purpletiger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Handcuffs were 2012 Barrister's Ball's must-have fashion accessory. What'll it be this year? Getting tasered?

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 pm

purpletiger wrote:Handcuffs were 2012 Barrister's Ball's must-have fashion accessory. What'll it be this year? Getting tasered?


Stomach pump, no doubt

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:You guys are terrible at fashion advice, but I still want to drink with you until I pass out on something expensive.


Just don't vomit on something expensive. Apparently, this is frowned upon.


vomiting is for proles. I plan to break shit. And maybe dragon kick someone. Back of ticket disclaimer be damned.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Boo wore a very tasteful dress two years ago, with size 14 platform heals.


I was goddamn lovely.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Hey guys, just got accepted today and most likely will be attending in the fall.

How early does the 1L internship search start? Should I start asking the (few) connections I have now about possible summer '14 internships?

thanks

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:58 pm

mrizza wrote:Hey guys, just got accepted today and most likely will be attending in the fall.

How early does the 1L internship search start? Should I start asking the (few) connections I have now about possible summer '14 internships?

thanks

If you can get your shit lined up now, go for it. (I would approach gently, more as a request for general advice, than a "GIMME JOB LOL" request.)

We're in the thick of the 1L search right now. A few gunners had a position finalized before Christmas. The rest of us are workin' on it.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
mrizza wrote:Hey guys, just got accepted today and most likely will be attending in the fall.

How early does the 1L internship search start? Should I start asking the (few) connections I have now about possible summer '14 internships?

thanks

If you can get your shit lined up now, go for it. (I would approach gently, more as a request for general advice, than a "GIMME JOB LOL" request.)

We're in the thick of the 1L search right now. A few gunners had a position finalized before Christmas. The rest of us are workin' on it.

that patron saint of NU comes through yet again, thanks rink

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13659
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 am

mrizza wrote:Hey guys, just got accepted today and most likely will be attending in the fall.

How early does the 1L internship search start? Should I start asking the (few) connections I have now about possible summer '14 internships?

thanks

You're not allowed to technically send any apps in till December 1st. Not a ton of people are ready to work on jobs apps at this point because finals are only a couple weeks away and you'd rather crush exams than get job apps in early. I applied to stuff between Christmas and the start of 2nd semester and had a job secured by the end of January. If you can get some feelers out right now and at least hint at your interest in a position, then that'd set you up for applying once the fall semester is done.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:41 pm

For the financial aid essay regarding my "position for merit based aid and need based aid" should I only talk about academic performance with regards to merit? Is it out of the scope to talk about work experience here as well? thanks again

onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby onionz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:12 pm

mrizza wrote:For the financial aid essay regarding my "position for merit based aid and need based aid" should I only talk about academic performance with regards to merit? Is it out of the scope to talk about work experience here as well? thanks again


I wrote exclusively on my work experience, as my academic performance wasn't exactly stellar, and was a few years ago. I think they kept it pretty open for a reason, and you may speak about whatever is appropriate. (note I am a recent admitted applicant, not a 1+L or anything).

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby basilseal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Does NU require parents' info re: FAFSA?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:01 pm

basilseal wrote:Does NU require parents' info re: FAFSA?


No

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby basilseal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
basilseal wrote:Does NU require parents' info re: FAFSA?


No

Thanks!

BigZuck
Posts: 10881
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 am

Hi guys, accepted yesterday and super pumped, Northwestern has been a dream for a few years now.

Questions regarding big law employment: assuming I end up around median, am I right to think that NU could potentially help me find a job in either New York, Chicago, or either of the two other states that I have demonstrable ties to and thus potentially a better choice than say Duke or Cornell which wouldn't open any doors in Chicago? Basically 4 potential markets as opposed to 3?

Or am I doing it wrong because Chicago is such a closed off market to someone without top grades and Midwest ties, even if you go to NU?

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am

BigZuck wrote:Hi guys, accepted yesterday and super pumped, Northwestern has been a dream for a few years now.

Questions regarding big law employment: assuming I end up around median, am I right to think that NU could potentially help me find a job in either New York, Chicago, or either of the two other states that I have demonstrable ties to and thus potentially a better choice than say Duke or Cornell which wouldn't open any doors in Chicago? Basically 4 potential markets as opposed to 3?

Or am I doing it wrong because Chicago is such a closed off market to someone without top grades and Midwest ties, even if you go to NU?


You're probably right to think that NU will put you in a better spot for Chicago all things being equal. But even at NU Chicago is still a really tough market to break into, and if this thread is to be believed even people on LR strike out in Chicago from time to time. Being median at NU might not be enough to cut it.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Hi guys, accepted yesterday and super pumped, Northwestern has been a dream for a few years now.

Questions regarding big law employment: assuming I end up around median, am I right to think that NU could potentially help me find a job in either New York, Chicago, or either of the two other states that I have demonstrable ties to and thus potentially a better choice than say Duke or Cornell which wouldn't open any doors in Chicago? Basically 4 potential markets as opposed to 3?

Or am I doing it wrong because Chicago is such a closed off market to someone without top grades and Midwest ties, even if you go to NU?


You're probably right to think that NU will put you in a better spot for Chicago all things being equal. But even at NU Chicago is still a really tough market to break into, and if this thread is to be believed even people on LR strike out in Chicago from time to time. Being median at NU might not be enough to cut it.


I would add that median at NU is probably good enough to snag NYC.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

BigZuck wrote:Hi guys, accepted yesterday and super pumped, Northwestern has been a dream for a few years now.

Questions regarding big law employment: assuming I end up around median, am I right to think that NU could potentially help me find a job in either New York, Chicago, or either of the two other states that I have demonstrable ties to and thus potentially a better choice than say Duke or Cornell which wouldn't open any doors in Chicago? Basically 4 potential markets as opposed to 3?

Or am I doing it wrong because Chicago is such a closed off market to someone without top grades and Midwest ties, even if you go to NU?


Chicago is a hard market from median, but NU gives you the best shot outside of HYS and maybe U Chicago.

New York is doable from median if you bid properly and interview decently.

Random states with "demonstrable ties" is harder to comment on.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm

bdubs wrote:Chicago is a hard market from median, but NU gives you the best shot outside of HYS and maybe U Chicago.

New York is doable from median if you bid properly and interview decently.

Random states with "demonstrable ties" is harder to comment on.

+1

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Betharl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Of the students that get BigLaw, any idea what the % breakdown is by market? Ie, 40% Chicago, 40% NYC, 20% other, or what?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bdubs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 am

Betharl wrote:Of the students that get BigLaw, any idea what the % breakdown is by market? Ie, 40% Chicago, 40% NYC, 20% other, or what?


Probably 5-10% in all major markets except NYC and Chicago (DC, TX, SF, LA, Boston). NYC is probably 20-30% of BigLaw and Chicago is probably 30-40%. These are pure guesstimates because they don't break out geography for law firm employment, just the class overall.

The breakdown of overall geography by employment is here:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 am

bdubs wrote:
Betharl wrote:Of the students that get BigLaw, any idea what the % breakdown is by market? Ie, 40% Chicago, 40% NYC, 20% other, or what?


Probably 5-10% in all major markets except NYC and Chicago (DC, TX, SF, LA, Boston). NYC is probably 20-30% of BigLaw and Chicago is probably 30-40%. These are pure guesstimates because they don't break out geography for law firm employment, just the class overall.

The breakdown of overall geography by employment is here:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/

I agree it's data we lack but I would adjust the non NYC/CHI markets up since CA by itself takes a decent chunk that is more than half of NYC. I also feel like you're overestimating regional biglaw at 20-45% but it's hard to know for sure.

mosquito
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby mosquito » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi, I want to know what required courses I will take in the first semester (fall semester) at Northwestern Law. Your reply would be greatly appreciated! :D

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 pm

mosquito wrote:Hi, I want to know what required courses I will take in the first semester (fall semester) at Northwestern Law. Your reply would be greatly appreciated! :D

Fall:
Torts
Civil Procedure
Contracts
either Property or Criminal Law
Communication & Legal Research

Spring:
either Property or Criminal Law
Constitutional Law
Elective
Elective
Communication & Legal Research

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 pm

bdubs wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Hi guys, accepted yesterday and super pumped, Northwestern has been a dream for a few years now.

Questions regarding big law employment: assuming I end up around median, am I right to think that NU could potentially help me find a job in either New York, Chicago, or either of the two other states that I have demonstrable ties to and thus potentially a better choice than say Duke or Cornell which wouldn't open any doors in Chicago? Basically 4 potential markets as opposed to 3?

Or am I doing it wrong because Chicago is such a closed off market to someone without top grades and Midwest ties, even if you go to NU?


Chicago is a hard market from median, but NU gives you the best shot outside of HYS and maybe U Chicago.

New York is doable from median if you bid properly and interview decently.

Random states with "demonstrable ties" is harder to comment on.


Sounds about right...on the random ties, it depends on which states those are and what their legal market is like, the midwest states that touch IL will send some firms to NU OCI and having real ties generally means that those firms don't care very much about your grades (a general, but not universal rule in my experience).

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am

homestyle28 wrote:Sounds about right...on the random ties, it depends on which states those are and what their legal market is like, the midwest states that touch IL will send some firms to NU OCI and having real ties generally means that those firms don't care very much about your grades (a general, but not universal rule in my experience).

What about socal? I'm sure its a lot more competitive than "grades don't matter", but do you know anyone from socal that has gotten biglaw near median?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests