Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:17 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Sorry @Rink. Thanks for answering :) I was wigging out (apparently for no reason!). Probs cause I'm too excited to think/type.
AKSHUALLY...

I was answering according to my regular JD experience... apparently the AJDs don't fill out the supplemental app, only NA and FAFSA. (But twice each.)

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Sorry @Rink. Thanks for answering :) I was wigging out (apparently for no reason!). Probs cause I'm too excited to think/type.
AKSHUALLY...

I was answering according to my regular JD experience... apparently the AJDs don't fill out the supplemental app, only NA and FAFSA. (But twice each.)

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf
After you said this I went and looked at the JD app. I didn't realize before that they were different. Do you think it's appropriate to write a mini-essay in the "additional information" blank form? Like 100-300 words maybe about my family situation.

aaronbgavin

New

Post by aaronbgavin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm

Any students who are in the Northwestern Law Scholars Program? Im a Phd student taking time off before dissertation writing and wanted to know how the program is??

MayBJack426

New

Post by MayBJack426 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 am

aaronbgavin wrote:Any students who are in the Northwestern Law Scholars Program? Im a Phd student taking time off before dissertation writing and wanted to know how the program is??
To piggy back, what's the deal with the concentrations in general? Do they dictate the classes you can take? Is it just something pretty for your transcript? Do you have to do extra stuff to fulfill one? In addition to law scholars, what's the word on law and society (or something like that)?

Thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:42 pm

MayBJack426 wrote:To piggy back, what's the deal with the concentrations in general? Do they dictate the classes you can take? Is it just something pretty for your transcript? Do you have to do extra stuff to fulfill one? In addition to law scholars, what's the word on law and society (or something like that)?

Thanks!
The concentrations are just useless marketing bs. You have to take certain classes and if you do you then got a notation on your transcript. I wouldn't bother with it since there is no real benefit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 pm

aaronbgavin wrote:Any students who are in the Northwestern Law Scholars Program? Im a Phd student taking time off before dissertation writing and wanted to know how the program is??
Is this the Law Preview-esque program that runs the week before school starts? If so, I heard it was basically like Law Preview: semi-useless but won't hurt and familiarizes you with reading/briefing cases so that bit of confusion is reduced the first few weeks of the term. PM franklyscarlet, she did it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Is this the Law Preview-esque program that runs the week before school starts?
That's not what it is.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:50 pm

It's a program to create legal scholars. Which Northwestern in terrible at. Don't come here trying to be an academic. That shit doesn't work here. You need Yale, Stanford and Harvard for that.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:51 pm

bk187 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Is this the Law Preview-esque program that runs the week before school starts?
That's not what it is.
All righty. Ignore me, then!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's a program to create legal scholars. Which Northwestern in terrible at. Don't come here trying to be an academic. That shit doesn't work here. You need Yale, Stanford and Harvard for that.
Fuck that academic shit, we're all about the Benjamins.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It's a program to create legal scholars. Which Northwestern in terrible at. Don't come here trying to be an academic. That shit doesn't work here. You need Yale, Stanford and Harvard for that.
Legal academics rake in the dough though.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

bk187 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Legal academics rake in the dough though.
This is true, especially considering they work like 3-6 hours/week? Though they need to write those academic papers. However, being on a journal has made me realize most of them write on the same level as an 0L and it is my job to fix that shit. There was a fn in a paper I was citing that just said Myspace at __ . Oh, thanks asshole, I'll go ahead and find that information that you seemed to think was so important you footnoted it.

you're right, I should be an academic. Fuck partnership prospects, profs know where it's at.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Looking at the student directory, there are very few students in the program and I don't know who most of them are. I don't think it's a very well developed thing that many people on here will be able to comment on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Agreed that the concentrations are dumb. I'm only 1 or 2 classes away from completing them in 2 different categories but couldn't possibly care less.

bobloblawstudent

New

Post by bobloblawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Recent admit here & I have a few questions -

1. I've browsed the thread and I know we've touched on the issue a few times but what's the deal with roommates? do most people just live on their own? for people who do have roommates, are they other law students? I'm coming from los angeles and don't know a single soul in chicago so I'm a little apprehensive about jumping on craigslist to meet someone.

2. has anyone done the summer abroad programs through NU or another aba accreddited institution? it seems pretty rewarding on paper but i'm wondering if it's worth it in the long run to go study abroad or should we start focusing all our efforts on finding a job our 1L summer?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:02 pm

bobloblawstudent wrote:Recent admit here & I have a few questions -

1. I've browsed the thread and I know we've touched on the issue a few times but what's the deal with roommates? do most people just live on their own? for people who do have roommates, are they other law students? I'm coming from los angeles and don't know a single soul in chicago so I'm a little apprehensive about jumping on craigslist to meet someone.
1L here. most of my friends and I live alone, but it's definitely possible to find a roommate. Some people I know used craigslist to find random roommates, but many live with law students. Go to ASW, meet people, and odds are high you'll find someone that way. Otherwise, my class had a very active facebook group, so that's a good resource too.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 am

Are international team projects an exciting thing or a "meh" thing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Are international team projects an exciting thing or a "meh" thing?
The people who have done them rave about them.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:45 am

bobloblawstudent wrote:Recent admit here & I have a few questions -

2. has anyone done the summer abroad programs through NU or another aba accreddited institution? it seems pretty rewarding on paper but i'm wondering if it's worth it in the long run to go study abroad or should we start focusing all our efforts on finding a job our 1L summer?
Summer abroad seems like a terrible idea when you consider that after grades, summer legal work experience is the most important thing. I imagine there are people in very unique circumstances for whom a summer abroad makes perfect sense, but the rest of us are just tryin' to get jerbs.

ITP, OTOH, sounds bitchin'.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:23 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Are international team projects an exciting thing or a "meh" thing?
Supposed to be awesome and it's 4 credits of typically easy A. Only draw back is it's an extra $5k or so.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 am

bjsesq wrote:
The people who have done them rave about them.
Flips88 wrote:
Supposed to be awesome and it's 4 credits of typically easy A. Only draw back is it's an extra $5k or so.
I'm glad that people really enjoyed them. This sounds like the kind of thing that I would get almost obnoxiously excited about. It says on the website that the program is pretty much student-run. How hard is it to volunteer to become a team leader? I've done a lot of non-profit work abroad so if I did go to NU I'd be all over this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:51 am

cookiejar1 wrote:
I'm glad that people really enjoyed them. This sounds like the kind of thing that I would get almost obnoxiously excited about. It says on the website that the program is pretty much student-run. How hard is it to volunteer to become a team leader? I've done a lot of non-profit work abroad so if I did go to NU I'd be all over this.
I don't think it's terribly difficult. You just have to find a professor to work with you. And if you're one of the leaders you get 5 credits for ITP.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am

Flips88 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
I don't think it's terribly difficult. You just have to find a professor to work with you. And if you're one of the leaders you get 5 credits for ITP.
Really you need to find 3 people to run it with you. There is actually a list of profs who are willing to go. Finding a prof is pretty easy since they get a free trip. I'm in the clas now and I can say we are all super excited and it looks to be a good time. I think I may try and run one next year. Though the price is a bit steep, but hey, it's like Monopoly money, right?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:23 am

Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
Really you need to find 3 people to run it with you. There is actually a list of profs who are willing to go. Finding a prof is pretty easy since they get a free trip. I'm in the clas now and I can say we are all super excited and it looks to be a good time. I think I may try and run one next year. Though the price is a bit steep, but hey, it's like Monopoly money, right?
I really want to do it, maybe 3L year. I don't see how I could leave my cat (older and takes daily medications) for that long, so it may hinge on whether she lives another 2 years. :?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:27 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:
I really want to do it, maybe 3L year. I don't see how I could leave my cat (older and takes daily medications) for that long, so it may hinge on whether she lives another 2 years. :?
I have a cat and a dog, luckily I have some friends who are willing to watch them when I take off for breaks, but I can totally understand. You could always ask the listserv, but if mine were old and medicated I would probably be a bit leery of leaving them as well. But if you get a chance I would go. Just being in the class has made me realize it's going to be pretty exciting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”