Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blumpbeef

Gold

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:56 pm

What are you guyses schedules like? Do most of you do credits over the summer and complete your hours that way, or do you take 5 3-unit classes every semester?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:What are you guyses schedules like? Do most of you do credits over the summer and complete your hours that way, or do you take 5 3-unit classes every semester?
hellllllll no. if you need extra credits, take a 2-credit class/seminar/etc.

true story: a 2L in one of my classes complained about having to take 5 exams last semester. He was almost laughed out of the room.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:What are you guyses schedules like? Do most of you do credits over the summer and complete your hours that way, or do you take 5 3-unit classes every semester?
I wouldn't recommend 5 exams. There are lots of options to get to 14 creds/semester, but most people don't take summer classes.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm

I've taken way more credits than I need to, so I don't know that my advice on choosing classes would be terribly helpful. That said, if you do take 5 classes/sem, I would recommend taking at least 1 paper class. More than 4 exams in a semester would be insane. 4 is bad enough.

Also remember that you can do things like clinic and externships for credit during the school year; those aren't limited to summers.

readeatsleep

New

Post by readeatsleep » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 pm

4.00+ - top 3-5 people
3.85+ - top 10%
3.75+ - top 15%
3.65+ - top 25%
3.50+ - top 35%
3.30-3.40 - median
3.20 - 3.30 - slightly below median
3.00 - 3.20 - quite below median

Does this apply to sections, i.e., do the top 3-5 people in each section have a 4.00+, or do the top 3-5 people in the entire 1L class have a 4.00+?

In other words, about how many people in the entire 1L class have over a 4.00 after the first semester?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Entire 1L class after both semesters.

PenguinMarch

New

Post by PenguinMarch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:19 pm

This seems to indicate that the numbers are quite skewed from the realities of what the median currently is. Given that Fall 1L is 4 curved classes, and Spring 1L may only be 2, does anyone know how the above numbers are roughly effected by this sort of grade inflation?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm

PenguinMarch wrote:This seems to indicate that the numbers are quite skewed from the realities of what the median currently is. Given that Fall 1L is 4 curved classes, and Spring 1L may only be 2, does anyone know how the above numbers are roughly effected by this sort of grade inflation?
There aren't that many uncurved classes available to 1Ls, are there?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:33 pm

PenguinMarch wrote:This seems to indicate that the numbers are quite skewed from the realities of what the median currently is. Given that Fall 1L is 4 curved classes, and Spring 1L may only be 2, does anyone know how the above numbers are roughly effected by this sort of grade inflation?
There aren't that many uncurved 1L classes, and even in uncurved classes most profs have some kind of personal curve for the classes. An uncurved class does not equate to an auto A, and remember, the prof of an uncrved class is not required to give out A+ grades if they don't feel anyone earned them.

The grade inflation really occurs 2L and 3L year when seminars open up and you can take classes closed to 1Ls.

Edit: Though occasionally 1L uncurved classes that really help open up. For example last year remedies was uncurved and I heard most people did well, and there was an uncurved tax class with a visiting prof. that my friends raved about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

purpletiger

New

Post by purpletiger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Is this actually true? Looking at the curve, the median is roughly around a B+ (3.33), and the numbers above have the median at 3.3-3.4. So maybe there's a slight increase due to some uncurved classes in second semester, but can that really move the curve more than 0.05 upwards?

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Anyone take Law and Social Change with Rubinowitz in the past? It's uncurved this semester and seems like a pretty easy A as long as you participate and put in a little work on the paper, but just wanted to confirm that there weren't any potential nasty surprises.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:59 pm

If professors fully, fully maximized their grades, then 1L median, without counting uncurved classes would be... above 3.40.
This is the case because while B+ is median, there are more grades above a B+ (37%) than below a B+ (33%), and the tail above the B+ is longer (4.33-3.33=1 versus 3.33-2.66). However, most professors do not maximize fully the curve, I also think it is impossible to fully maximize it by the simple fact that classes do not have 100 students (thus 7% A+ makes no sense), thus making it a huge mystery and a waste of time to actually figure out what is median and what are the corresponding %.

It was made this way by design and no 1L should worry about it cause firms themselves do not worry about it.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Dont' really worry about any rankings right now, 1Ls. You basically won't know anything until graduation and even then it'd just be cum laude, magna, coif stuff. You'll get info from OCS about callbacks with GPA averages, highs, and lows for firms for OCI in the fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 pm

hey guys,

I posted something about this before, but I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to help. I'm coming from SF for an on-campus interview on Friday. I can't make the noon tour because my interview is at 2:45 and I'd rather prep than tour beforehand. But I was wondering if anyone would be willing to show me around campus? I get there Thursday afternoon and leave Saturday night. I've never been to Chicago before so I have no idea what to expect haha.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:hey guys,

I posted something about this before, but I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to help. I'm coming from SF for an on-campus interview on Friday. I can't make the noon tour because my interview is at 2:45 and I'd rather prep than tour beforehand. But I was wondering if anyone would be willing to show me around campus? I get there Thursday afternoon and leave Saturday night. I've never been to Chicago before so I have no idea what to expect haha.
I'm sure something could be arranged. I get out of class at 1:30 on Friday and I suppose I could be convinced to do an ad hoc tour later in the afternoon. :P

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:01 pm

I'd recommend taking the tour before your interview, you'll have a much better idea of what the school is like when you go in.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 am

How close is the relationship between Northwestern Law and Kellog? Do any consulting firms recruit at OCI (BCG, McKinsey)? I mean, they're already going to be at Kellog.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 am

cookiejar1 wrote:How close is the relationship between Northwestern Law and Kellog? Do any consulting firms recruit at OCI (BCG, McKinsey)? I mean, they're already going to be at Kellog.
Basically Kellog is the Evanstin Campus while the law school is Chicago, we really never interact, though there are some Kellog courses available to law students (but not on the main Kellog campus). As for OCI, we did not have any of the consulting firms come through, the two are not really connected. The JD/MBAs aren't even on the Chicago campus 2nd year, they take all their courses at Kellog in Evanston, and most of the ones I know actually moved to Evanston for the MBA year.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:

I'd recommend taking the tour before your interview, you'll have a much better idea of what the school is like when you go in.

I'm going to disagree. The tours are of little to no benefit in terms of the interview, or anything really, besides knowing where to go when you start classes (which you don't need to know now and you'll get another tour when you start) and Northwestern trivia. A lot of people don't even do their interviews on campus but with local alumni, and haven't even stepped on campus at all.

Of course, I'm not sure you need all that much "prep" for the interview either.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Icculus wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:How close is the relationship between Northwestern Law and Kellog? Do any consulting firms recruit at OCI (BCG, McKinsey)? I mean, they're already going to be at Kellog.
Basically Kellog is the Evanstin Campus while the law school is Chicago, we really never interact, though there are some Kellog courses available to law students (but not on the main Kellog campus). As for OCI, we did not have any of the consulting firms come through, the two are not really connected. The JD/MBAs aren't even on the Chicago campus 2nd year, they take all their courses at Kellog in Evanston, and most of the ones I know actually moved to Evanston for the MBA year.
Actually, you can take classes up there. It's annoying, but you can and I did.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 pm

IAFG wrote:
Icculus wrote:
I guess I was trying to differntiate between the kellog classes that they offer near the law school vs. actually registering for classes at a different campus. I think you can actually take classes at most Evanston schools, though it does seem like it could be a pain. A prof who did this while he was at school here basically told me he was almost always late because he didn't plan enough time between when his Chi campus class ended and his Evanston class started. So I stand corrected.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:55 pm

IAFG wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Do you know how much later those grades come out? Still waiting on my god damn Kellogg grade...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Do you know how much later those grades come out? Still waiting on my god damn Kellogg grade...
sorry, no idea, mine came out with my LS grades

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Pokemon wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Kellogg professors' grades were due December 15 but if they were late they have to go through a manual change process for law students. You should e-mail your prof and the Kellogg registrar.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm

I know... the Kellogg professors has probably done his job... it is the law school that is messing up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”