Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chadwick218

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Ragged wrote:What's it like to know you will be unemployed and in debt in a couple of years?

FWIW, c/o 2011 placed ~60% into BigLaw (largely V50s). Of the 40% that remains, 10% represented JD-MBAs who did not participate in OCI and another 15% represented Public Interest folks who were successful in their own pursuits. From the information that I have gathered, only 15% or so remain unaccounted. All said, I would say that NU placed quite well this year.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:18 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Ragged wrote:What's it like to know you will be unemployed and in debt in a couple of years?

FWIW, c/o 2011 placed ~60% into BigLaw (largely V50s). Of the 40% that remains, 10% represented JD-MBAs who did not participate in OCI and another 15% represented Public Interest folks who were successful in their own pursuits. From the information that I have gathered, only 15% or so remain unaccounted. All said, I would say that NU placed quite well this year.

I always think it's interesting that, NU doing so well in Biglaw (tops on some list right? I'm too lazy to look it up right now) was big news on tls for about 20 minutes, then things reverted to the USNWR gospel, despite the fact that like 115% of tlsers want biglaw.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:50 am

Thread needs less questions more challenges.

manyu

Postby manyu » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
manyu wrote:Is admitted students weekend meant for ED admits as well, or is it just to convince admits that may go somewhere else to attend?

This is probably an easy question to find the answer to, but now that I've been admitted I am going to be as lazy as possible till August. Thanks for helping me achieve this.

DF went to ASW last year, and he was an ED admit.

How do you feel about shots?

As long as it's not vodka, I feel pretty good about them. Vodka does bad things to me. Tequila, anyone?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:46 pm

manyu wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
manyu wrote:Is admitted students weekend meant for ED admits as well, or is it just to convince admits that may go somewhere else to attend?

This is probably an easy question to find the answer to, but now that I've been admitted I am going to be as lazy as possible till August. Thanks for helping me achieve this.

As long as it's not vodka, I feel pretty good about them. Vodka does bad things to me. Tequila, anyone?

Is it just me or does this statement seem backwards?

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:53 pm

How big is the international student population doing the JD? I mean students that received their undergraduate degrees from overseas..

bringbackfirefly

Postby bringbackfirefly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:54 pm

krad wrote:
manyu wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Had the exact same thought.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:39 pm

bringbackfirefly wrote:
krad wrote:
manyu wrote:As long as it's not vodka, I feel pretty good about them. Vodka does bad things to me. Tequila, anyone?

I'm actually on the same page, but then again I'm Mex. I will say that while good tequila > than good vodka, bad vodka >>>>> bad tequila. If i have my say in matters, however, shot of preference is jaeger....

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
bringbackfirefly wrote:
krad wrote:
manyu wrote:As long as it's not vodka, I feel pretty good about them. Vodka does bad things to me. Tequila, anyone?

I'm actually on the same page, but then again I'm Mex. I will say that while good tequila > than good vodka, bad vodka >>>>> bad tequila. If i have my say in matters, however, shot of preference is jaeger....

:)

and def agree bad vod >>> bad tequila hands down.

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 pm

I will challenge any current law students to an Edward Fortyhands competition when I come to ASW. Please admit me NU!
The gauntlet has been thrown down. Your move.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:54 pm

LLB2JD wrote:How big is the international student population doing the JD? I mean students that received their undergraduate degrees from overseas..

I actually don't know. There are a few that I know of, but it's not a huge number.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:55 pm

mfeller2 wrote:I will challenge any current law students to an Edward Fortyhands competition when I come to ASW. Please admit me NU!

You don't know who you are talking to, here. Bring it.

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:I will challenge any current law students to an Edward Fortyhands competition when I come to ASW. Please admit me NU!

It's on. Also, I will take you up on that offer for shots, Vegas Bombs at high noon.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:06 pm

mfeller2 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

It's on. Also, I will take you up on that offer for shots, Vegas Bombs at high noon.

Dude I want in... Fortyhands brings back such memories and lack thereof!

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:11 pm

krad wrote:
mfeller2 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Dude I want in... Fortyhands brings back such memories and lack thereof!

Holy Trinity?

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:14 pm

Holy Trinity?

You forgot Camo Ice. I had that a couple of years ago and my life hasn't been the same since.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:20 pm

omg OE, guhhh

Edit: TT makes me <3 NU more and more...

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:29 pm

LLB2JD wrote:How big is the international student population doing the JD? I mean students that received their undergraduate degrees from overseas..

There are a ton of LLM students. There are JD students with foreign degrees but it isn't huge. A guy in my section is doing the Two Year JD, where he has an LLM and is converting it into a JD.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:39 pm

NU students: In all seriousness, was there one main factor that made you choose NU over all other schools to which you were admitted (assuming there were others ;))?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:06 pm

krad wrote:NU students: In all seriousness, was there one main factor that made you choose NU over all other schools to which you were admitted (assuming there were others ;))?

For me, it turned on the following three factors. First, I was really limited to attending school in major cities (for spousal purposes). Second, I liked the fact that, like myself, most students have spent a few years working. Third, NU was the first T-14 to offer me a spot ... this in turn fostered some sense of loyalty.

After getting off of a couple of WLs, I ultimately choose NU over Penn, Michigan, Duke, and GULC.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:14 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

I always think it's interesting that, NU doing so well in Biglaw (tops on some list right? I'm too lazy to look it up right now) was big news on tls for about 20 minutes, then things reverted to the USNWR gospel, despite the fact that like 115% of tlsers want biglaw.

On TLS, perceived prestige > biglaw. Also, the placement into biglaw amongst usual suspects is within a couple of percentage points. There really isn't all that big of a difference. IMO, where NU may be lacking is in scholarly prestige amongst it's faculty. We need to pull in more big names.

AC1984

Postby AC1984 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:18 pm

What are your impressions of or experience with grading at NU? How many students are active in the Bluhm Legal Clinic?

Based on your experience and talking with recent graduates and the career services folks at NU, what are your impressions of employment prospects for NU grads especially in the Chicago area?

Thanks for taking questions!

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks, Chadwick!

manyu

Postby manyu » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:24 pm

What are employment prospects in NY? And, during the interview, it seemed like a young campus still. Do people go out and have fun, or does Holly just drink for everyone?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Why does your SBA suck so much?

How soon till NW kicks M or B out of the MVPB tier?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”