Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Georgia Avenue

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 am

splitmuch wrote:Of course, if we were actually cheaters this new system would provide tremendous advantage to people who have multiple computers.

ding ding ding

not sure why he thinks this is going to stop cheating (and we might as well get rid of the honor code while we're at it)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Of course, if we were actually cheaters this new system would provide tremendous advantage to people who have multiple computers.

ding ding ding

not sure why he thinks this is going to stop cheating (and we might as well get rid of the honor code while we're at it)

If any cheating goes on it is because all of our exams ate self scheduled after 1L and can be taken anywhere. Exam soft does nothing to stop that. Since most profs basically allow the use of almost anything I fail to see how exam soft would help. Not to mention I don't think cheating is really a big problem at NU.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 am

Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

ding ding ding

If any cheating goes on it is because all of our exams ate self scheduled after 1L and can be taken anywhere. Exam soft does nothing to stop that. Since most profs basically allow the use of almost anything I fail to see how exam soft would help. Not to mention I don't think cheating is really a big problem at NU.
Hopefully the profs don't get pressure to make exam notes/books/etc use more limited. Bennett required a hard copy outline; that sucked.

It makes me wonder how widespread cheating was/is at Texas, that DeanRod thinks this is such a hyuuuge issue.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:59 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

ding ding ding

Hopefully the profs don't get pressure to make exam notes/books/etc use more limited. Bennett required a hard copy outline; that sucked.

It makes me wonder how widespread cheating was/is at Texas, that DeanRod thinks this is such a hyuuuge issue.

I was talking about this last night with a friend of mine and we figure the atmosphere/culture at UT has to be way different if he things this much cheating is happening.

As for profs changing policies, I doubt that will happen. I think Bennett has made people bring a hard copy of an outline since he started and is just set in his ways. Such a waste of paper.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:It makes me wonder how widespread cheating was/is at Texas, that DeanRod thinks this is such a hyuuuge issue.

I was talking about this last night with a friend of mine and we figure the atmosphere/culture at UT has to be way different if he things this much cheating is happening.

Maybe, maybe not. I think D-Rod just gets butthurt about stupid stuff no matter what things were like at UT/USD/etc.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 pm

I think every new dean is going to make changes that students don't like. It's just the way it is. I, for one, actually like his policy of "no student flyers" because they are obnoxious and overwhelming.

I would much rather have a dean who was generally making a lot of changes with the aim of making us more prestigious (etc.) than a dean who did nothing as we had for the interregnum between Van Zandt and D-Rod. And D-Rod certainly seems to be doing that with the new clerkship program, the $5m donation, new faculty, etc.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:It makes me wonder how widespread cheating was/is at Texas, that DeanRod thinks this is such a hyuuuge issue.

Maybe, maybe not. I think D-Rod just gets butthurt about stupid stuff no matter what things were like at UT/USD/etc.

I get the feeling this is right on.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm

purpletiger wrote:I think every new dean is going to make changes that students don't like. It's just the way it is. I, for one, actually like his policy of "no student flyers" because they are obnoxious and overwhelming.

I would much rather have a dean who was generally making a lot of changes with the aim of making us more prestigious (etc.) than a dean who did nothing as we had for the interregnum between Van Zandt and D-Rod. And D-Rod certainly seems to be doing that with the new clerkship program, the $5m donation, new faculty, etc.

I'll give him the clerkship program kudos, but only because I love Kadens so much.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Anyone got some evidence that grades will be tonight or if it'll be tomorrow night?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 pm

purpletiger wrote:Anyone got some evidence that grades will be tonight or if it'll be tomorrow night?

I do, but can't disclose it until Friday :)

Also, obligatory 2L "we weren't so worried about grades last year, what's wrong with these 1Ls" snark

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
purpletiger wrote:Anyone got some evidence that grades will be tonight or if it'll be tomorrow night?

Also, obligatory 2L "we weren't so worried about grades last year, what's wrong with these 1Ls" snark

Ironically enough, I'm not a 1L. lolz.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:56 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

They were released on this day last year with the Apex crap in the afternoon and the Lawyer as Problem Solver thing the next day too.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Just to note, 100 pages a week from Calabresi's Comp Con Law class turns out to have been a modest estimate. All said, though, the class is great.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

They were released on this day last year with the Apex crap in the afternoon and the Lawyer as Problem Solver thing the next day too.

Surely you meant to say "Apex thing" and "Lawyer as Problem Solver crap" because that's a more accurate way of putting it.

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:04 pm

I would bet good money that there is no way grades get posted until after the drop period ends. Even if they are fully ready (which why wouldn't they be?)

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Snape wrote:I would bet good money that there is no way grades get posted until after the drop period ends. Even if they are fully ready (which why wouldn't they be?)

They dropped before add/drop ended last year so i don't think that's a factor.

peachisthebest

Postby peachisthebest » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm

at this point, should we expect they're being released tomorrow since it's so late?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 pm

peachisthebest wrote:at this point, should we expect they're being released tomorrow since it's so late?

last winter they came out around 6, but yeah i'd say tomorrow looks good

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 pm

There is no way to know. Seriously, go for a walk or something and stop bloody torturing yourself.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:18 am

lawyer as a problem solver, I know this is mandatory, but do I have to do it during 1L or can I do it later, as long as it's done before graduation?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 am

splitsplat wrote:lawyer as a problem solver, I know this is mandatory, but do I have to do it during 1L or can I do it later, as long as it's done before graduation?

Need to do it now. They also take attendance. It's worse than you think it's going to be, though the negotiation one isn't bad if like last year they bring snacks.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:23 am

Icculus wrote:
splitsplat wrote:lawyer as a problem solver, I know this is mandatory, but do I have to do it during 1L or can I do it later, as long as it's done before graduation?

Need to do it now. They also take attendance. It's worse than you think it's going to be, though the negotiation one isn't bad if like last year they bring snacks.

motherfuckers. why require registration for something that is mandatory for all 1Ls. anyways, thanks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:24 am

Icculus wrote:

I'm expecting painful role-playing games of negotiating and arguing over ethical dilemmas. Am I way off base?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I'm expecting painful role-playing games of negotiating and arguing over ethical dilemmas. Am I way off base?

nope.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:25 am

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

nope.

Oh goody.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”