Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
splitmuch

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:37 am

bjsesq wrote:Plus, I'll be in narrative structures.

Didn't expect to read this.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 pm

splitmuch wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Plus, I'll be in narrative structures.

Didn't expect to read this.

Why's that? Lubet is a solid prof, and I really like the way he approaches some things (see card player tricks for trial lawyers).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Sitting in Booth hall, sweating my ass off (seriously, it's like a heated greenhouse up in here). Wondering why the Class Year stained glass windows only go up to 2007, when there are plenty of empty windows left. (Actually, looks like they skipped from 1955 to 2001 as well.) Anyone know? Did they give up on the tradition?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Sitting in Booth hall, sweating my ass off (seriously, it's like a heated greenhouse up in here). Wondering why the Class Year stained glass windows only go up to 2007, when there are plenty of empty windows left. (Actually, looks like they skipped from 1955 to 2001 as well.) Anyone know? Did they give up on the tradition?

I got fucked by my own schedule. Hoyne hall then Booth. Not sure if my battery will make it.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Sitting in Booth hall, sweating my ass off (seriously, it's like a heated greenhouse up in here). Wondering why the Class Year stained glass windows only go up to 2007, when there are plenty of empty windows left. (Actually, looks like they skipped from 1955 to 2001 as well.) Anyone know? Did they give up on the tradition?

I got fucked by my own schedule. Hoyne hall then Booth. Not sure if my battery will make it.

I learned this morning how much I hate hoyne hall (and when professors run over so I have to sprint there). So glad my class is getting moved.

Unrelated: what's the deal with spring OCI? It just kind of popped up in our inboxes and I'm not really sure what it's all about. I assume it's open to 1Ls?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:17 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I learned this morning how much I hate hoyne hall (and when professors run over so I have to sprint there). So glad my class is getting moved.

Unrelated: what's the deal with spring OCI? It just kind of popped up in our inboxes and I'm not really sure what it's all about. I assume it's open to 1Ls?

If it was like mine, 5-6 firms come. And like 3-4 people get a 1L jerb out of it. But its good for practice.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

If it was like mine, 5-6 firms come. And like 3-4 people get a 1L jerb out of it. But its good for practice.

good to know, thanks.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:39 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Most people I know who did it last year got at least a few interviews...don't count on it for a job, but worth doing to go through the interview process

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 pm

It's basically a flame aside from getting some practice at interviews, as said already.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Edit: Never mind. I think Symplicity realizes I'm a 2L and isn't showing me 1L only stuff.

1Ls: What firms are interviewing?

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 am

So McGinnis for Con Law has not been fun so far. I've been completely lost on what he has been discussing in class. Does anyone have their notes or something that they are willing to share? Ill trade a Starbucks gift card for it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 am

I'm not lost in any classes YET, but I'd appreciate outlines for:

ConLaw with Kontorovich
IP with Diamond
State & Local Gov't with Ellrod & Philippini
Property with Barsa

And I still owe cookies or something to the people who gave me outlines in the fall. I have not forgotten you, promise. :P

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:16 am

dolfan0516 wrote:So McGinnis for Con Law has not been fun so far. I've been completely lost on what he has been discussing in class. Does anyone have their notes or something that they are willing to share? Ill trade a Starbucks gift card for it.

Didn't have McGinnis, but the Chemerinsky supplement will teach you everything you need to do alright in Con.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:So McGinnis for Con Law has not been fun so far. I've been completely lost on what he has been discussing in class. Does anyone have their notes or something that they are willing to share? Ill trade a Starbucks gift card for it.

Didn't have McGinnis, but the Chemerinsky supplement will teach you everything you need to do alright in Con.

Noooo McGinnis is much crazier than that

MayBJack426

Postby MayBJack426 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Thoughts on replicating what these Duke students are undertaking?

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/01/duke-law ... -increase/

...especially in light of the fact that Dean Rodriguez has been appointed president-elect of the Association of American Law Schools (to begin January 2014).

Thoughts?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 am

MayBJack426 wrote:Thoughts on replicating what these Duke students are undertaking?

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/01/duke-law ... -increase/

...especially in light of the fact that Dean Rodriguez has been appointed president-elect of the Association of American Law Schools (to begin January 2014).

Thoughts?

I think he made is position pretty clear at the town hall: his thinks small increases are pretty much a favor to us and that he needs the revenue to poach big names in academia.

peachisthebest

Postby peachisthebest » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 pm

I hate to belabor the point, but since grades were "due" at the end of the day today, when should we expect to receive them? I've already checked once, and to spare myself the compulsive checking, does anyone have any insight based on previous years? I was told they'd be out before the 1L apex thing on Wednesday (how to learn from your exams), but knowing they've been turned in, and yet not having them is killing me.

To all the students who can just never look at grades: I envy you immensely.

Meanwhile, I have a brand new bottle of whiskey to inevitably drown my sorrows...

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:30 pm

peachisthebest wrote:I hate to belabor the point, but since grades were "due" at the end of the day today, when should we expect to receive them? I've already checked once, and to spare myself the compulsive checking, does anyone have any insight based on previous years? I was told they'd be out before the 1L apex thing on Wednesday (how to learn from your exams), but knowing they've been turned in, and yet not having them is killing me.

Meanwhile, I have a brand new bottle of whiskey to inevitably drown my sorrows...

There will be an email. The grades will come out by Friday. If you have a reliable source that they will come out by Wednesday then that's the best info you'll get. (That source should be someone in the administration.) Relax. And odds are they will not be coming out tonight. Last year I think they came out at like 6:00 on the Wednesday after they were due.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:39 pm

peachisthebest wrote:I hate to belabor the point, but since grades were "due" at the end of the day today, when should we expect to receive them? I've already checked once, and to spare myself the compulsive checking, does anyone have any insight based on previous years? I was told they'd be out before the 1L apex thing on Wednesday (how to learn from your exams), but knowing they've been turned in, and yet not having them is killing me.

Last year, they came out on Wednesday around 6 PM.

terriers

Postby terriers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Apparently Lupo said Thursday, but I heard that third-hand.

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 pm

They will absolutely not be released prior to the Apex meeting, the session (scheduled by the people who release grades) is specifically designed to PREPARE you for getting grades. They also won't be released during a 1L class time, and in all likelihood will come when you don't have to be in the building/see anybody.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 pm

windycityblues wrote:They will absolutely not be released prior to the Apex meeting, the session (scheduled by the people who release grades) is specifically designed to PREPARE you for getting grades. They also won't be released during a 1L class time, and in all likelihood will come when you don't have to be in the building/see anybody.

Last year the grades were up around 6 pm, but they didn't send the email notifying they were up until 9 pm when night classes got out.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Unless you force us to take exams scheduled, exam software won't really do shit. It only really prevents copy and paste. And it prevents using electronic outlines which must professors allow.

I doubt they will put this in place this semester.

This is why I'm confused. We can take our exams whenever we want, usually using whatever materials we have, including electronic sources. What the hell does he think exam soft will do?

The biggest security hole is that I can take Exam 1 on the first days of finals, and I can tell others exactly what is on the test. Exam soft can't do shit about that.

Bingo.

What is this exam software you guys are talking about? What does it do?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 am

ksllaw wrote:What is this exam software you guys are talking about? What does it do?
It's a website and software with various features. It can lock down parts of your computer (like internet access or certain programs), and serves as a place to download exam questions and honor code agreements and upload exam answers. So far NU only uses the Examsoft website to download/upload things, and doesn't use the actual exam-writing software. We write our exams in Word, using (or not) other resources on our computers according to our professor's restrictions and the honor code, and upload the doc file to Examsoft.

The new dean is apparently horrified by this and thinks we are all cheaters, and so we are not looking forward to Big Brother crippling our computers on future exams.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
ksllaw wrote:What is this exam software you guys are talking about? What does it do?
It's a website and software with various features. It can lock down parts of your computer (like internet access or certain programs), and serves as a place to download exam questions and honor code agreements and upload exam answers. So far NU only uses the Examsoft website to download/upload things, and doesn't use the actual exam-writing software. We write our exams in Word, using (or not) other resources on our computers according to our professor's restrictions and the honor code, and upload the doc file to Examsoft.

The new dean is apparently horrified by this and thinks we are all cheaters, and so we are not looking forward to Big Brother crippling our computers on future exams.

Of course, if we were actually cheaters this new system would provide tremendous advantage to people who have multiple computers.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”