Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Icculus

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:The point is persnicketyness, as far as I can tell.

I think that's generous.

I don't think we need to worry, but I think it may be in the future.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 am

bk1 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Although apparently D-Rod thinks this is a crime against humanity and we should be using exam software.

Are we going to be eventually be using full on exam soft? :(

That's what he implied. I think it was about 2 weeks before the final when he found out that nothing was locked down; he said it was too late to do anything about it, but that he would look into it for next semester.

"In Texas you just wrote in the exam software and that was it"

MAF.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:55 am

Full exam soft sucks.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 am

I especially liked the undertones of "you assholes probably cheat all the time without exam software."

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:24 am

Locked down exams are TTT as fuck

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:25 am

Well, Northwestern has been a TTT in decline for awhile, now it's just official.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:09 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I especially liked the undertones of "you assholes probably cheat all the time without exam software."

I would have been tempted to say something like, "huh, I thought that was what the honor code was for, but maybe where he's from the students need a little more guidance."

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Unless you force us to take exams scheduled, exam software won't really do shit. It only really prevents copy and paste. And it prevents using electronic outlines which must professors allow.

I doubt they will put this in place this semester.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Unless you force us to take exams scheduled, exam software won't really do shit. It only really prevents copy and paste. And it prevents using electronic outlines which must professors allow.

This is why I'm confused. We can take our exams whenever we want, usually using whatever materials we have, including electronic sources. What the hell does he think exam soft will do?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Unless you force us to take exams scheduled, exam software won't really do shit. It only really prevents copy and paste. And it prevents using electronic outlines which must professors allow.

This is why I'm confused. We can take our exams whenever we want, usually using whatever materials we have, including electronic sources. What the hell does he think exam soft will do?

The biggest security hole is that I can take Exam 1 on the first days of finals, and I can tell others exactly what is on the test. Exam soft can't do shit about that.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

The biggest security hole is that I can take Exam 1 on the first days of finals, and I can tell others exactly what is on the test. Exam soft can't do shit about that.

Bingo.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:29 pm

What is D-Rod's deal?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:What is D-Rod's deal?

He's a blow hard.

M458

Postby M458 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:04 pm

I've looked around online and looks like few apartment buildings accept dogs, and of the ones that do, all have a weight limit.

I have a Lab that's clearly going to be over any weight limit set at any of these places. Anyone that is currently attending and has a large dog, where do you live and how'd you go about finding a place? Tips?

Thanks in advance for any help with this and for the incredibly helpful advice in this thread.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:18 pm

M458 wrote:I've looked around online and looks like few apartment buildings accept dogs, and of the ones that do, all have a weight limit.

I have a Lab that's clearly going to be over any weight limit set at any of these places. Anyone that is currently attending and has a large dog, where do you live and how'd you go about finding a place? Tips?

Thanks in advance for any help with this and for the incredibly helpful advice in this thread.

The Streeter and Streeter Place both accept dogs of any weight, but they are the most expensive buildings in the area.

512 N McClurg is a condo building that allows dogs of any weight, but you have to find an owner who is leasing and willing to accept dogs.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 am

And if you're willing to live outside of Streeterville, it's pretty easy to find dog-friendly buildings that aren't highrises.

M458

Postby M458 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:56 am

Holly Golightly wrote:And if you're willing to live outside of Streeterville, it's pretty easy to find dog-friendly buildings that aren't highrises.

Yeah, I'd actually prefer to live outside of Streeterville; somewhere in Lakeview/Lincoln Park would be ideal. Good to hear that there are options out there. Sounds like you can't really do much in terms of actually nailing down a lease until May/June though, right?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 am

M458 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:And if you're willing to live outside of Streeterville, it's pretty easy to find dog-friendly buildings that aren't highrises.

Yeah, I'd actually prefer to live outside of Streeterville; somewhere in Lakeview/Lincoln Park would be ideal. Good to hear that there are options out there. Sounds like you can't really do much in terms of actually nailing down a lease until May/June though, right?

It's generally cyclical, but if you keep your eyes peeled there is something probably available. You just need to be flexible on where to live. Hell, even Logan Square has some decent spots.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Edit: nevermind.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:13 pm

basilseal wrote:Taking both Con Law and Comparative Con law next semester, and naturally the classes require two different con law textbooks. Is the consensus to suck it up and buy both? One is Sullivan, the other Paulsen.
I seriously doubt the two classes are going to cover the same cases.

You wouldn't try to use the same textbook for organic and inorganic chemistry, right?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
basilseal wrote:Taking both Con Law and Comparative Con law next semester, and naturally the classes require two different con law textbooks. Is the consensus to suck it up and buy both? One is Sullivan, the other Paulsen.

You wouldn't try to use the same textbook for organic and inorganic chemistry, right?

Comparitive con law deals with looking at the US constitutional framework compared to other countries' constitutional framework. Not even close to the same class as Con Law. Also, be ready for a ton of reading for Calabresi.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Comparitive con law deals with looking at the US constitutional framework compared to other countries' constitutional framework. Not even close to the same class as Con Law. Also, be ready for a ton of reading for Calabresi.

This. As awesome as it is to take a class taught by a legend, you will be working your ass off.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Haha thanks- tried to get my edit in before the responses. Figured it was irrelevant once I noticed Calabresi was one of the textbook authors.

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:12 pm

So when are fall grades released?

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

This. As awesome as it is to take a class taught by a legend, you will be working your ass off.

Be ready for 100 pages of reading a night...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”