Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
terriers

New

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by terriers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:13 am

False alarm...on the bright side, doesn't appear to have affected his burgeoning poetry career.

simplycatalina

Silver

Northwestern Interview

Post by simplycatalina » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm flying to Chicago for an on-campus interview at Northwestern on January 24. I'm flying from SF and I don't really know anyone in Chicago. Was wondering if any current/prospective students would be around to check out the campus?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Northwestern Interview

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:17 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:I'm flying to Chicago for an on-campus interview at Northwestern on January 24. I'm flying from SF and I don't really know anyone in Chicago. Was wondering if any current/prospective students would be around to check out the campus?
Ask for a tour in the admissions office. Students (me included) lead tours every day except Wednesdays, at noon.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:07 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:My thoughts on taking ITA evidence and ethics:

So so so fucked.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:20 pm

OCS gives you the resources to look for a job but then leaves most of the actual finding a job up to you. Look at the Arizona guide as well as PS Law net. Apply to anything that interests you. Look for state and gov agencies in the area you want to work and apply to them.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:40 pm

lgleye wrote:
bk187 wrote:OCS gives you the resources to look for a job but then leaves most of the actual finding a job up to you. Look at the Arizona guide as well as PS Law net. Apply to anything that interests you. Look for state and gov agencies in the area you want to work and apply to them.
Thanks so much...... I feel more hopeful now. btw, mind telling where you (and your classmates) spent your 1L summer?
Some people do firms (big law and mid law—mostly places where they have ties), a lot extern for judges, some work for local/state/federal government agencies, some take classes, some work in the Bluhm clinic.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:12 am

^What he said. Though obviously don't just take classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:22 am

Most people I know interned for a judge 1L summer. I was surprised by the number who worked at firms given how everyone says how rare it is. The career center stats support that it isn't really that rare though, about 20% of the class works for a private firm 1L summer.

I think the jobs that get some of the least attention but are great if you have a car are in-house legal internships. Most are in the burbs, but they pay reasonable rates (not big law, but well above minimum wage). Won't lead to a permanent offer though.

MayBJack426

New

Post by MayBJack426 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi all,

What kind of computer would you recommend? I'm guessing most people use macs?

Also, if your ultimate goal is clerkship-->public interest, what organizations should one get involved in? Are there certain professors it would be advantageous to seek out and meet? (Just getting excited looking at orientation schedule!) thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 pm

MayBJack426 wrote:What kind of computer would you recommend? I'm guessing most people use macs?
Get something reliable whether its Mac or Windows. Generally just get whatever you're comfortable with. Most people have Macs but that's just because most students are upper-middle class (which tend to skew towards Apple products).
MayBJack426 wrote:Also, if your ultimate goal is clerkship-->public interest, what organizations should one get involved in? Are there certain professors it would be advantageous to seek out and meet? (Just getting excited looking at orientation schedule!) thanks!
The first thing I would say is to realize that getting a clerkship is very unlikely. Be ready to accept that even though you want a clerkship, it very likely will not be something that you will have a chance at. While certain well-connected profs might be more advantageous for making recommendation calls, you won't have control over most of your profs your first year. What I will say is that because clerkships will require something like 3-4 letters of rec that you should try and develop connections with your profs so that you can get rec letters (or even rec calls) if you end up being in a spot where you have a legitimate chance at clerkship.

MayBJack426

New

Post by MayBJack426 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:16 pm

bk187 wrote:
MayBJack426 wrote:What kind of computer would you recommend? I'm guessing most people use macs?
Get something reliable whether its Mac or Windows. Generally just get whatever you're comfortable with. Most people have Macs but that's just because most students are upper-middle class (which tend to skew towards Apple products).
MayBJack426 wrote:Also, if your ultimate goal is clerkship-->public interest, what organizations should one get involved in? Are there certain professors it would be advantageous to seek out and meet? (Just getting excited looking at orientation schedule!) thanks!
The first thing I would say is to realize that getting a clerkship is very unlikely. Be ready to accept that even though you want a clerkship, it very likely will not be something that you will have a chance at. While certain well-connected profs might be more advantageous for making recommendation calls, you won't have control over most of your profs your first year. What I will say is that because clerkships will require something like 3-4 letters of rec that you should try and develop connections with your profs so that you can get rec letters (or even rec calls) if you end up being in a spot where you have a legitimate chance at clerkship.

Really appreciate this advice. What year are you at NU? Might PM you with more questions if you don't mind!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:21 pm

MayBJack426 wrote:Really appreciate this advice. What year are you at NU? Might PM you with more questions if you don't mind!
2L. Feel free to PM me any questions you might have.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 am

MayBJack426 wrote:Hi all,

Also, if your ultimate goal is clerkship-->public interest, what organizations should one get involved in? Are there certain professors it would be advantageous to seek out and meet? (Just getting excited looking at orientation schedule!) thanks!
BK summed up the clerkship info well. As for computers, unlike most schools at NU we answer all our exams in word and then upload them to an exam website so there are fewer issues with exams in terms of software. You can get away with something cheap if it's reliable.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm

For clerkships, I would say make sure that you know a couple of your profs well enough that they'll be willing to right you LORs. I'm not a person who really speaks in class, so that was definitely a pain in the ass for me when it came down to it. (Although you will have plenty of time for this 2L year, so 1L year it doesn't always matter as much.) Also, for all jobs, including clerkships/PI, do externships and/or work in the clinic. You can get to do very legitimate work in those types of situations that looks great in a cover letter/sounds great in an interview.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:31 pm

I may be too late anyway, but what's the deal with the rental books from the bookstore? Are you allowed to mark in them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I may be too late anyway, but what's the deal with the rental books from the bookstore? Are you allowed to mark in them?
Ya, highlighted and took notes in mine, they didn't even check. I even had some half-torn pages from taking off those sticky tab thingies.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I may be too late anyway, but what's the deal with the rental books from the bookstore? Are you allowed to mark in them?
Ya, highlighted and took notes in mine, they didn't even check. I even had some half-torn pages from taking off those sticky tab thingies.
Cool, thanks.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:15 pm

I rented from teh bookstore. They allow highlighting and underlining. Which is more than Chegg allows, which is highlighting only.

I got my patent law book, and I was the first to ever use it. They just handed me a new one off the shelf.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Icculus wrote:

BK summed up the clerkship info well. As for computers, unlike most schools at NU we answer all our exams in word and then upload them to an exam website so there are fewer issues with exams in terms of software. You can get away with something cheap if it's reliable.
Although apparently D-Rod thinks this is a crime against humanity and we should be using exam software.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Although apparently D-Rod thinks this is a crime against humanity and we should be using exam software.
Ugh. What is the point?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 pm

The point is persnicketyness, as far as I can tell.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:02 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:The point is persnicketyness, as far as I can tell.
I think that's generous.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:15 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Although apparently D-Rod thinks this is a crime against humanity and we should be using exam software.
Are we going to be eventually be using full on exam soft? :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”