Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kikero

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Kikero » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Question about bidding/registration:

When does Caesar actually force you to drop the classes that you have beyond 2? I'm curious about when/if the waitlists generally start to move.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Anyone have tips on classes that are easy, you can skip, and that graded inflated?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Kikero wrote:Question about bidding/registration:

When does Caesar actually force you to drop the classes that you have beyond 2? I'm curious about when/if the waitlists generally start to move.

after classes start. you have through the add/drop period.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone have tips on classes that are easy, you can skip, and that graded inflated?

14th Amendment

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone have tips on classes that are easy, you can skip, and that graded inflated?

14th Amendment

She occasionally gives C's and D's.

jiazhoujiazhou

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby jiazhoujiazhou » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 pm

So I am fresh out from college and was just wondering if it'd be hard for me to "fit in" in NU, since pretty much everyone would be so much more maturer and have a clearer idea of what they want to do job-wise.
Also I have a LSAT169 GPA3.9 but no WE. I guess Im one of those splitter? Do I even have a chance to get in?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am

Merged the old thread and the new thread since someone posted in the old thread.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am

jiazhoujiazhou wrote:So I am fresh out from college and was just wondering if it'd be hard for me to "fit in" in NU, since pretty much everyone would be so much more maturer and have a clearer idea of what they want to do job-wise.
Also I have a LSAT169 GPA3.9 but no WE. I guess Im one of those splitter? Do I even have a chance to get in?

People here don't have a clearer idea what they want to do job wise because people at NU (like all other law schools) have little first hand experience in what different types of law are like. People here aren't that much more mature. You would not feel out of place. Check LSN to see whether you'd be able to get in. I'd hazard that a 169/3.9 has a good shot even without WE.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:03 am

jiazhoujiazhou wrote:So I am fresh out from college and was just wondering if it'd be hard for me to "fit in" in NU, since pretty much everyone would be so much more maturer and have a clearer idea of what they want to do job-wise.

Maturity is overrated. Come on in.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:14 pm

bk1 wrote:Merged the old thread and the new thread since someone posted in the old thread.

I was so confused when I clicked and it was Rayiner on the first page and not DF.

Most people here even with WE only have a year or two, I am on the older end of the spectrum (out of college 10 years) but I would say the vast majority here are 23-25 when they start. I doubt you would have problems fitting in.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Don't worry about that. The average age is a little higher here than other places, but I still know a couple of 21 year old 1Ls and quite a few who were 22 when they started. As someone on the younger side myself, I haven't had any problems fitting in.

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 am

Hello,

I'm curious about the cost of living for attending NW?

Also, what are the demographics of the law student body there? Thank very much!

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 am

ksllaw wrote:Hello,

If you live near school, the amount they tell you should get you from Sept. to May, but not really any further. And even then, it's probably not enough. I've spent probably 5K more a year than they predict, but I'm not being frugal at all.

I'd recommend finding something cheaper away from school. If you get a two bed with a roommate with a medium commute, you can save a ton.

Demographics are probably online. I'd imagine its similar to most schools but maybe 2 years older on average, and more Asian for some reason (well the reason is NU doesn't discriminate against Asians for affirmative action reasons).

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm

I also recommend moving further away from the school if you want to save some money. There are express buses from the North (Lakeview, Lincoln PArk) that will get you to school within 15 minutes, the rent will be cheaper, and the neighborhood more lively. \

I think the demographics of the law school are changing with the new dean. It seems there is less emphasis on work experience.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

If you live near school, the amount they tell you should get you from Sept. to May, but not really any further. And even then, it's probably not enough. I've spent probably 5K more a year than they predict, but I'm not being frugal at all.

I'd recommend finding something cheaper away from school. If you get a two bed with a roommate with a medium commute, you can save a ton.

Demographics are probably online. I'd imagine its similar to most schools but maybe 2 years older on average, and more Asian for some reason (well the reason is NU doesn't discriminate against Asians for affirmative action reasons).
I agree about the budget, but I have to say that I LOVE being close to campus. I'm actually considering bucking the 2L emigration trend and staying around here next year. At the most I'd go 5-6 blocks away to the north.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Question about changing your course selection...

Let's say I wanted to drop employment law and take 14th amendment. How do I do that now that the bidding is closed and everything?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:34 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:Question about changing your course selection...

Let's say I wanted to drop employment law and take 14th amendment. How do I do that now that the bidding is closed and everything?

When add/drop begins, you can do it on caesar.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Pokemon wrote:I think the demographics of the law school are changing with the new dean. It seems there is less emphasis on work experience.

I hope that's not true.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I agree about the budget, but I have to say that I LOVE being close to campus. I'm actually considering bucking the 2L emigration trend and staying around here next year. At the most I'd go 5-6 blocks away to the north.

I think Streeterville is awful and commuting from an actual neighborhood is absolutely worth it, but to each his own. haha

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I agree about the budget, but I have to say that I LOVE being close to campus. I'm actually considering bucking the 2L emigration trend and staying around here next year. At the most I'd go 5-6 blocks away to the north.

I think Streeterville is awful and commuting from an actual neighborhood is absolutely worth it, but to each his own. haha

It's definitely awfully generic. But westloop/river north/goldcoast is just as bad.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

I've always lived in REAL suburbia, so for me to feel 100% "home," I'd be way the hell out in Naperville or something. If a larger apartment in Lakeview feels just as foreign and weird and uncomfortable to me as a Streeterville highrise, I might as well be close to school. I loathe commuting, ESPECIALLY by public transit, with the heat of a supernova, so removing that stress from my life is a large plus.

And I don't really see what's so "awful" about Streeterville, compared to other neighborhoods. (Aside from less square footage for more money, which is a legit complaint that I agree with.)
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm staying close to school. A 15 minute walk is enough to persuade me to skip class too often as is.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

It's definitely awfully generic. But westloop/river north/goldcoast is just as bad.

gold coast is just as bad because while the rents are slightly cheaper, everything else is even more expensive than streeterville.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Eh, those other neighborhoods actually have interesting/locally owned shops and restaurants, and things to do other than go to Timmy O'Toole's or the AMC. Streeterville has no culture and is like living in a suburb except with high rises instead of strip malls. Even O'Toole's is a suburban fake Irish pub with a location in the city. (I won't even argue the West Loop point because I'm pretty sure you're just trying to bait me. :P )

rinkrat liking Streeterville because she loves suburbs and would rather be in Naperville makes COMPLETE sense.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Eh, those other neighborhoods actually have interesting/locally owned shops and restaurants, and things to do other than go to Timmy O'Toole's or the AMC. Streeterville has no culture and is like living in a suburb except with high rises instead of strip malls. Even O'Toole's is a suburban fake Irish pub with a location in the city. (I won't even argue the West Loop point because I'm pretty sure you're just trying to bait me. :P )

rinkrat liking Streeterville because she loves suburbs and would rather be in Naperville makes COMPLETE sense.
Just because I prefer living in the suburbs doesn't mean I never go into the city.

I like interesting shops/restaurants/bars/etc., and I don't do my recreation at Timmy's. I think I've been to Timmy's four times.

I don't mind traveling/expending effort and energy to get somewhere I want to go, in contrast to somewhere I have to go. In my daily life, I want the necessary things (work/school) to be easy and convenient and as little effort as possible. A long and tedious CTA commute every single day to get somewhere I don't particularly want to be is much more soul-killing than occasional CTA rides to get somewhere recreational. I go to whatever Lakeview/Lincoln Park/Loop/Ukrainian Village/Old Town/Gold Coast destination that I feel like going to, the same as people who live in those neighborhoods.

I wouldn't "rather be in Naperville," because Chicago is too big for me to commute in from there. Hence, Streeterville.

This happens in Portland, too. The hipsters living in SE Portland are SO CONVINCED that their neighborhood is the be-all, end-all of cool and that suburbanites are idiot proles who LOVE STRIPMALLS ( :roll: ), but I go all over the Portland area to whatever destinations catch my fancy. I experience more of the city than they do, even though I live(d) in the westside suburban wasteland.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”