Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm just kind of taking it on a whim. I don't want it to kill me.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:48 pm

bk1 wrote:Litvak seems fairly despised by everyone except Georgia Avenue. No clue on Litvak's BA workload.


I liked Litvak, but I can see how others might not. She doesn't do a lot of case based stuff, most of it is intuitive. She is also very skeptical/cynical in a funny way.

Very little workload during the semester, she lectures in a way that you don't have to read at all beforehand. Grading was fine for uncurved, but might have been bad if it had been curved (test wasn't super challenging).

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am

bdubs wrote:
bk1 wrote:Litvak seems fairly despised by everyone except Georgia Avenue. No clue on Litvak's BA workload.


I liked Litvak, but I can see how others might not. She doesn't do a lot of case based stuff, most of it is intuitive. She is also very skeptical/cynical in a funny way.

Very little workload during the semester, she lectures in a way that you don't have to read at all beforehand. Grading was fine for uncurved, but might have been bad if it had been curved (test wasn't super challenging).


I like the sound of this. I think I'm set on BA with litvak and Estates & Trusts.

User avatar
VulcanVulcanVulcan
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Any thoughts on Reed or Feydig for M&A?

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Any thoughts on Reed or Feydig for M&A?


I had Reed for BA and loved him, no idea about Feydig. If Reed runs the class like BA it will be well organized, pretty straight forward, and easy to understand what he is looking for.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:55 pm

I still have no idea wtf electives I should sign up for.

People keep telling me to take Environmental (majored in Enviro Engineering), but A)I'll have Barsa for property as well and B)I also heard it's hard.
Employment law sounds great, but it's going to be high points.

Decided to save CivPro II for next year.
Am not interested in anything ultra businessy like BA or Corp.
Really don't even know if I want Lit or Trans.

First Amendment?
State and Local Gov't?
Family Law?
Fed Tax?
Evidence?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I still have no idea wtf electives I should sign up for.

People keep telling me to take Environmental (majored in Enviro Engineering), but A)I'll have Barsa for property as well and B)I also heard it's hard.
Employment law sounds great, but it's going to be high points.

Decided to save CivPro II for next year.
Am not interested in anything ultra businessy like BA or Corp.
Really don't even know if I want Lit or Trans.

First Amendment?
State and Local Gov't?
Family Law?
Fed Tax?
Evidence?


Just take something that ends up being uncurved.

User avatar
NorthwesternorBust
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I still have no idea wtf electives I should sign up for.

People keep telling me to take Environmental (majored in Enviro Engineering), but A)I'll have Barsa for property as well and B)I also heard it's hard.
Employment law sounds great, but it's going to be high points.

Decided to save CivPro II for next year.
Am not interested in anything ultra businessy like BA or Corp.
Really don't even know if I want Lit or Trans.

First Amendment?
State and Local Gov't?
Family Law?
Fed Tax?
Evidence?


I bid on Employment Law and Business Associations.
Last edited by NorthwesternorBust on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Oh crap. I have to choose classes and bid at some point. #3L

User avatar
NorthwesternorBust
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Also, how do you know Employment Law is going to be high points?

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:46 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:Also, how do you know Employment Law is going to be high points?


I'm guessing rink is extrapolating from how many 1Ls seem really interested in employment law this semester. It's a popular choice.

User avatar
NorthwesternorBust
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 12:06 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:Also, how do you know Employment Law is going to be high points?


I'm guessing rink is extrapolating from how many 1Ls seem really interested in employment law this semester. It's a popular choice.


Ah, gotcha. I just looked at the history and it was never highly sought after... Maybe a bad decision.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Would an ok bidding strategy be to bid ~445 points on two expensive classes and then put 1-2 points on 5-6 other classes that haven't historically filled up, and then decide later?

(With a caveat that I haven't even looked at class time conflicts yet.)

I feel like this is probably much simpler than I'm making it. Like when I was a UG freshman and trying to figure out pre-reqs was like the MOST CONFUSING THING EVER.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:22 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:Also, how do you know Employment Law is going to be high points?


I'm guessing rink is extrapolating from how many 1Ls seem really interested in employment law this semester. It's a popular choice.

Exactly. But maybe I'm just being paranoid.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Would an ok bidding strategy be to bid ~445 points on two expensive classes and then put 1-2 points on 5-6 other classes that haven't historically filled up, and then decide later?

(With a caveat that I haven't even looked at class time conflicts yet.)

I feel like this is probably much simpler than I'm making it. Like when I was a UG freshman and trying to figure out pre-reqs was like the MOST CONFUSING THING EVER.


There is an upper limit on how many courses you can bid into.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Would an ok bidding strategy be to bid ~445 points on two expensive classes and then put 1-2 points on 5-6 other classes that haven't historically filled up, and then decide later?

(With a caveat that I haven't even looked at class time conflicts yet.)

I feel like this is probably much simpler than I'm making it. Like when I was a UG freshman and trying to figure out pre-reqs was like the MOST CONFUSING THING EVER.


There is an upper limit on how many courses you can bid into.

17 credits IIRC

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:13 am

Yeah, there is a 17 credit limit.

So, if you bid on two classes in the same time block and get them both, the system automatically gives you the one with the higher bid price, yes? That seems lame. Why not give you both and make you choose one to drop before Round 2/before enrolling? If the lower bid price one is actually the class you'd prefer, it forces you to overbid on it.

Sooo...any thoughts?

State & Local Gov't (Elrod/Fillipini)
or
Environmental (Barsa)
(neither likely curved)

Employment (Provenzano)
or
First Amendment (DeSanto)
(both likely curved)

Law & Social Change (Rubinowitz)
or
Evidence (Koehler)
(neither likely curved...I think?)

Also bidding on IP (Shari Diamond), but it doesn't conflict with anything.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:40 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Yeah, there is a 17 credit limit.

So, if you bid on two classes in the same time block and get them both, the system automatically gives you the one with the higher bid price, yes? That seems lame. Why not give you both and make you choose one to drop before Round 2/before enrolling? If the lower bid price one is actually the class you'd prefer, it forces you to overbid on it.

Sooo...any thoughts?

State & Local Gov't
or
Environmental
(neither likely curved)

Employment
or
First Amendment
(both likely curved)

Also bidding on IP and Evidence, but they don't conflict with anything.


If you are taking a course because it's uncurved, and it has 65 seats, you don't have to bid on it at all. Just add it during Add Drop.

Enviro was curved last year, and Barsa is popular. I wouldn't bet on it being uncurved.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:42 am

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Yeah, there is a 17 credit limit.

So, if you bid on two classes in the same time block and get them both, the system automatically gives you the one with the higher bid price, yes? That seems lame. Why not give you both and make you choose one to drop before Round 2/before enrolling? If the lower bid price one is actually the class you'd prefer, it forces you to overbid on it.

Sooo...any thoughts?

State & Local Gov't
or
Environmental
(neither likely curved)

Employment
or
First Amendment
(both likely curved)

Also bidding on IP and Evidence, but they don't conflict with anything.


If you are taking a course because it's uncurved, and it has 65 seats, you don't have to bid on it at all. Just add it during Add Drop.

Enviro was curved last year, and Barsa is popular. I wouldn't bet on it being uncurved.
Yeah, you're right. On that one I was conflating not full with uncurved.

Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Looking for an outline for BA with Lutz. Or just some information regarding past exams/tips. PM me please. Thanks.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:To those looking for a really interesting class with no curve, not much reading, and (relatively) easy grading: Torts II with Shapo, Torts II with Shapo, Torts II with Shapo.

It helps tremendously to be used to his style if you had him first semester, but not having him shouldn't discourage you. Even if you don't take it, make sure to find out when the last day of class is and sit in on his lecture. Trust me.


Any other opinions on this?

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 pm

bk1 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:To those looking for a really interesting class with no curve, not much reading, and (relatively) easy grading: Torts II with Shapo, Torts II with Shapo, Torts II with Shapo.

It helps tremendously to be used to his style if you had him first semester, but not having him shouldn't discourage you. Even if you don't take it, make sure to find out when the last day of class is and sit in on his lecture. Trust me.


Any other opinions on this?

I heard Shapo curved the class even if it wasn't 40+?

Then again, I'm a 1L who didn't even have Shapo for Torts this semester, so I'm probably wrong.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:02 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I heard Shapo curved the class even if it wasn't 40+?

Then again, I'm a 1L who didn't even have Shapo for Torts this semester, so I'm probably wrong.


I may have said the first sentence but I've heard conflicting stories.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I heard Shapo curved the class even if it wasn't 40+?

Then again, I'm a 1L who didn't even have Shapo for Torts this semester, so I'm probably wrong.


I may have said the first sentence but I've heard conflicting stories.


Spring 08 he definitely gave more A's than the curve would allow, but he still gave considerable amount of Bs. The description of the class says that participation counts. Is he really going to let me just show up for the final and the last day, especially when the class will be like 20 people.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 pm

So if I am debating between legal ethics with Muchman or Litigation and the Court of Public Opinion anyone have any advice? Basically I can't bid any course that meets M-W 2:30-3:30 b/c I'm trying to get off Brennan's Tax WL (missed it by 27 points). I'm thinking if I need to do ethics anyway may as well just bite the bullet.

Other courses are ITP, First Amendment, and Entrepeneurship Law, so not too tough of a schedule so far.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests