Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chadwick218

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:01 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Has anyone done M&A without taking BA/Corporations? I am thinking of doing it as I'm doing M&A this summer, but I don't want to get killed by earnest corporate law types.

If you take it over the summer, you should be fine. If you are worried not taking BA, I'd just flip through a hornbook the weekend prior to classes starting.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am

chadwick218 wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Has anyone done M&A without taking BA/Corporations? I am thinking of doing it as I'm doing M&A this summer, but I don't want to get killed by earnest corporate law types.

If you take it over the summer, you should be fine. If you are worried not taking BA, I'd just flip through a hornbook the weekend prior to classes starting.

I think he's scared that people at his firm will outgun him if he doesn't take BA/corps, which is pretty silly, because M&A practice is all but totally unrelated from corps/BA, which is really a corp lit class.

PaulAtriedes

Postby PaulAtriedes » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:54 pm

[[1]] What is the advantage of doing a clerkship before big law or in general?

[[2]] NU seems to place well in big law, but how about clerkships?

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:DF's grade inflation picks of the Spring Semester:

Patent Law - hear me out, it's boring as shit, but I literally didn't know anything a day before the exam, took it without sleeping more than 3 hours in the past 50 hours (all 3 were had in the Xbox room); didn't finish 1/4 of the exam, and got a shockingly decent grade.

International Business Transactions - Over by Spring Break, group paper (20 page combined), and a presentation. By far the easiest course at NU law, and he gives 8/10 groups A's, 1 group A- and 1 group A+.

Anyone got any hot leads?

I wish these were classes that I could actually take :( I need moar GPA-boosting classes!

eta: also btw i went home and didn't do anything except watch bad TV until 2:30 am, i suck at being a good student

Are you a 1L, what section are you in?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:11 pm

PaulAtriedes wrote:[[1]] What is the advantage of doing a clerkship before big law or in general?

Unfortunately, NU doesn't place students very well when in comes to clerkships. However, I would say that this is 90% due to self-selection. A number of recent graduates, including myself, would have been very competitive, but simply had no interest in pursuing a clerkship. Having worked before, I felt like I was too old and didn't want to delay big law salary any longer. I also had no interest in litigation.

This aside, NU needs to emphasize more faculty involvement in the clerkship process (as is rumored at other schools).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:13 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
PaulAtriedes wrote:[[1]] What is the advantage of doing a clerkship before big law or in general?

Unfortunately, NU doesn't place students very well when in comes to clerkships. However, I would say that this is 90% due to self-selection. A number of recent graduates, including myself, would have been very competitive, but simply had no interest in pursuing a clerkship. Having worked before, I felt like I was too old and didn't want to delay big law salary any longer. I also had no interest in litigation.

This aside, NU needs to emphasize more faculty involvement in the clerkship process (as is rumored at other schools).
They've TOLD us that they're going to focus more resources on clerkship placement. Have to wait and see whether it works.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

I think the new dean is working to improve our clerkship placements. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm

IAFG wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

I think the new dean is working to improve our clerkship placements. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I do know of a number of folks who had very strong grades who had difficulty getting letters of recommendation from certain rockstar professors. One professor refused to give LORs to all but a select group of people and the other would only send LORs to judges that he knew personally.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Patent Law - hear me out, it's boring as shit, but I literally didn't know anything a day before the exam, took it without sleeping more than 3 hours in the past 50 hours (all 3 were had in the Xbox room); didn't finish 1/4 of the exam, and got a shockingly decent grade.

International Business Transactions - Over by Spring Break, group paper (20 page combined), and a presentation. By far the easiest course at NU law, and he gives 8/10 groups A's, 1 group A- and 1 group A+.

I wish these were classes that I could actually take :( I need moar GPA-boosting classes!

eta: also btw i went home and didn't do anything except watch bad TV until 2:30 am, i suck at being a good student

No, I'm a 3L.

What section are you in?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Reasons to clerk: Clerkships are unique experiences where you get to see the inner workings of a court. Judges have idiosyncratic hiring patterns so some might only really hire fresh grads (while others might only hire people who have done a stint in private practice). They look good on your resume. They are required or semi-required at some top firms. It helps alleviate the fear of being no-offered since the clerkship will help you rebound (at least I think this is a plus though it's not often talked about).

But there are downsides. It costs money (since you could be earning a biglaw salary and the clerkship bonus still means you are 60k short of what you would earn pre-tax). It might require you to move around more. If you're doing transactional it's not as worth it (and firms don't necessarily hold open spots for transactional if people clerk). It requires more work from someone who could just rest on their biglaw offer.

I echo the above comments about NU and clerkship placement. It's hard to know how much is self-selection and how much isn't and it's unclear whether the new dean's measures will have a measurable effect and if they do when that will take place.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

No, I'm a 3L.

What section are you in?

I see what you did there.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:16 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:Are you a 1L, what section are you in?

No, I'm a 3L.

What section are you in?

J/K I figured it out. :mrgreen:

NorthwesternorBust

Postby NorthwesternorBust » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

No, I'm a 3L.

What section are you in?

I'm confused. How did you figure it out? haha.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

No, I'm a 3L.

What section are you in?

I'm confused. How did you figure it out? haha.

DEM SLEUTHING SKILLZ.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

I think he's scared that people at his firm will outgun him if he doesn't take BA/corps, which is pretty silly, because M&A practice is all but totally unrelated from corps/BA, which is really a corp lit class.

Right, that's my concern. So I won't be behind in M&A (the class) if I haven't take BA/Corporations? I am sure M&A will be curved and I don't want to screw myself into a B.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Anybody have a Pfander FedJur outline he or she is willing to share?

chill

Postby chill » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Anybody have a Pfander FedJur outline he or she is willing to share?

+1

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:55 pm

chill wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Anybody have a Pfander FedJur outline he or she is willing to share?

Or a Pfander Civ Pro outline?

I make no promises as to quality, but PM me your email address and I can send my outline and checklist your way

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:10 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

+1

+1 million.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Thought someone here might know the answer to this question: I seem to remember the clinic profs saying something about only allowing (or strongly preferring) fall and spring enrollment...if that's right and I didn't do a clinic this fall, can I sign up for one this spring?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:43 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Thought someone here might know the answer to this question: I seem to remember the clinic profs saying something about only allowing (or strongly preferring) fall and spring enrollment...if that's right and I didn't do a clinic this fall, can I sign up for one this spring?

You totally can. Some clinics aren't even offered year round . The deal is, if you do clinic in the fall, you can continue without bidding. Also, some of the more intense clinics prefer year round, but I don't think most, if any, prohibit spring only.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Thought someone here might know the answer to this question: I seem to remember the clinic profs saying something about only allowing (or strongly preferring) fall and spring enrollment...if that's right and I didn't do a clinic this fall, can I sign up for one this spring?

You totally can. Some clinics aren't even offered year round . The deal is, if you do clinic in the fall, you can continue without bidding. Also, some of the more intense clinics prefer year round, but I don't think most, if any, prohibit spring only.

Thanks

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Thoughts on value of Comparative Constitutional Law with Calabresi?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:33 pm

basilseal wrote:Thoughts on value of Comparative Constitutional Law with Calabresi?

Big name professor, not a particularly charismatic lecturer. His regular con law class had massive amounts of reading so I would expect something similar from comparative constitutional law.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”