Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:If I based my opinion on the grades I hear about, I would assume NU curved 1L to a 3.7.


That low? You must have humble friends


Ain't that the fucking truth.

CreativityKing
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby CreativityKing » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Samara wrote:While we're on the topic, any thoughts on State and Local Government or Estates and Trusts?


I took State and Local. Enjoyed it. Not a ton of work. Did not hurt my GPA. So 3/3 on things I look for in classes.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:06 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:If I based my opinion on the grades I hear about, I would assume NU curved 1L to a 3.7.


That low? You must have humble friends


Ain't that the fucking truth.

My friends are great. It's the acquaintances that will get you.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm

IAFG wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:If I based my opinion on the grades I hear about, I would assume NU curved 1L to a 3.7.


That low? You must have humble friends


Ain't that the fucking truth.

My friends are great. It's the acquaintances that will get you.


You mean Rayiner, right?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 pm

homestyle28 wrote:You mean Rayiner, right?

Anyone with the honors document knows how he did.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Samara » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 pm

CreativityKing wrote:
Samara wrote:While we're on the topic, any thoughts on State and Local Government or Estates and Trusts?


I took State and Local. Enjoyed it. Not a ton of work. Did not hurt my GPA. So 3/3 on things I look for in classes.

Sweet. And it's relevant to my interests. 4 for 4.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Samara wrote:
CreativityKing wrote:
Samara wrote:While we're on the topic, any thoughts on State and Local Government or Estates and Trusts?


I took State and Local. Enjoyed it. Not a ton of work. Did not hurt my GPA. So 3/3 on things I look for in classes.

Sweet. And it's relevant to my interests. 4 for 4.


Same. Is it usually curved?

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:36 pm

has anyone taken remedies with Lupo? good/bad impressions?

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:has anyone taken remedies with Lupo? good/bad impressions?


I didn't, but I had several friends who did and they all loved it. From what I was told there was no curve and he was not too hard with grades. They all highly recommended I take it this year.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:has anyone taken remedies with Lupo? good/bad impressions?


Is it Dean Lupo that teaches it? If so, he is the fucking man.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm

bjsesq wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:has anyone taken remedies with Lupo? good/bad impressions?


Is it Dean Lupo that teaches it? If so, he is the fucking man.


yep. I've heard nothing but good things about him, but not much about the class itself.

While i'm here: BA with Eigen or Litvak?

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:has anyone taken remedies with Lupo? good/bad impressions?


Is it Dean Lupo that teaches it? If so, he is the fucking man.


yep. I've heard nothing but good things about him, but not much about the class itself.

While i'm here: BA with Eigen or Litvak?


I have Litvak for BA right now and love it. I'm probably going to get curve-pwned since there are 45ish people, but second semester last year I believe it was uncurved, with all the 1Ls falling all over themselves to take it with Reed.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

To those looking for a really interesting class with no curve, not much reading, and (relatively) easy grading: Torts II with Shapo, Torts II with Shapo, Torts II with Shapo.

It helps tremendously to be used to his style if you had him first semester, but not having him shouldn't discourage you. Even if you don't take it, make sure to find out when the last day of class is and sit in on his lecture. Trust me.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 pm

How about Environmental with Barsa?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How about Environmental with Barsa?


hard as fuck, curved, he's really cool though

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:How about Environmental with Barsa?


hard as fuck, curved, he's really cool though
:? If I'm gonna take something hard as fuck, I might as well take CivPro II. Ick.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 pm

BA - A lot of people I know disliked Litvak's BA. I had Reed and loved him. I think that you will often have to choose between an uncurved class with a disliked prof or a curved class with a liked prof. I'd probably take a 65 person curved BA with Reed over uncurved with Litvak but that's me (with the benefit of hindsight).

Barsa - Really interesting guy but I don't know how hard his tests are.

Lupo - People generally say he's awesome.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 pm

bk1 wrote:BA - A lot of people I know disliked Litvak's BA. I had Reed and loved him. I think that you will often have to choose between an uncurved class with a disliked prof or a curved class with a liked prof. I'd probably take a 65 person curved BA with Reed over uncurved with Litvak but that's me (with the benefit of hindsight).

Barsa - Really interesting guy but I don't know how hard his tests are.

Lupo - People generally say he's awesome.


I managed to get Reed for BA over the summer with zero bid points b/c Lutz couldn't teach it and I loved it. Reed is one of the best profs I've ever head, clear in his expectations and just an all around nice guy. Worth taking him even curved.

User avatar
Georgia Avenue
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Echoing Enviro with Barsa: great prof, absolutely brutal test, likely curve-pwning.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
Instead of CirPro II take employment discrimnation. My friend took it second semester last year, loved it, and did really well (it usually only as 20-30 students). I am taking it now and love it, plus Provenzano is just amazing overall.


I've heard that's awesome, but I don't see it on our list :-/

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Instead of CirPro II take employment discrimnation. My friend took it second semester last year, loved it, and did really well (it usually only as 20-30 students). I am taking it now and love it, plus Provenzano is just amazing overall.


I've heard that's awesome, but I don't see it on our list :-/
Provenzano teaches Employment Law, so maybe that's what he means?

ETA: nope, I'm just confused. nm

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Instead of CirPro II take employment discrimnation. My friend took it second semester last year, loved it, and did really well (it usually only as 20-30 students). I am taking it now and love it, plus Provenzano is just amazing overall.


I've heard that's awesome, but I don't see it on our list :-/
Provenzano teaches Employment Law, so maybe that's what he means?

ETA: nope, I'm just confused. nm


She teaches both, maybe employment discrimination is only offered this semester. I heard good things about employment law too and I plan on taking next semester. You can take both.

pah1664
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby pah1664 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 pm

How well do NU grads break into midsize Midwestern markets without family connections?

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm

How much does work experience matter to Northwestern for admissions? Or, how much favorably do admissions view a splitter that has solid work experience over one that doesn't? Just trying to gauge how much of a factor work experience is to Northwestern when assessing splitters.

dolfan0516
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Is there a reason to take BA over corporations?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests