Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
splitmuch

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:53 pm

PenguinMarch wrote:How much do any of the positions for a 1L matter? It seems like it would almost not be worth putting it on your resume.

Are you talking about 1L rep positions for student groups? I'd say not at all. I don't think membership in any groups helps from a resume standpoint at all; I would recommend only getting involved with groups if its something you genuinely want to do or, in some cases, for the networking opportunities.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:05 pm

splitmuch wrote:
PenguinMarch wrote:How much do any of the positions for a 1L matter? It seems like it would almost not be worth putting it on your resume.

Are you talking about 1L rep positions for student groups? I'd say not at all. I don't think membership in any groups helps from a resume standpoint at all; I would recommend only getting involved with groups if its something you genuinely want to do or, in some cases, for the networking opportunities.

This, though I will say a couple of things on my resume were good talking points when I interviewed with alums from NU. One partner at a CB asked me about the SBA Social Committee and whether they still planned bar review. This led to a 15 minute conversation about the Chicago bar scene and how it's changed. Ib terms of actual employment I don't think it makes a huge difference, I think firms just like to see you've done something other than class.

If you're talking about 1L summer positions, that is pretty important. I don't think most places care what the specific position was, they just want to see you did something law related your 1L year.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:08 pm

splitmuch wrote:

I would limit rep positions to a few groups you actually care about and think you might want to be on the board of as a 2L. There's something to the "firms like leaders not joiners" thing...I was asked about my participation and leadership in a few interviews, but the impact I suspect varies based on your resume and what other things might stand out. But it's not likely to make or break anything

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Icculus wrote:I don't think most places care what the specific position was, they just want to see you did something law related your 1L year.

Really? I figured it was a much bigger deal than that.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Icculus wrote:I don't think most places care what the specific position was, they just want to see you did something law related your 1L year.

It's not. You can spin pretty much any 1L summer position to sound good.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Being part of, say, RPTE could help if you're trying to pitch yourself for T&E practice. I don't think they're totally worthless. But by OCI you'll have run for real board positions, so you don't really need the 1L rep angle for 2L summer.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

I worked for a prof. who basically had me doing maybe 5-10 hours worth of work/week on a busy week and I took two classes. I just made sure that when I sat for interviews I knew how to spin the work for the professor in a way that made it sound great. I mean I'm sure a 1L SA position with some V10 would be great on a resume but employers know how difficult those are to get, the key thing is to do something.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:39 pm

IAFG wrote:Being part of, say, RPTE could help if you're trying to pitch yourself for T&E practice. I don't think they're totally worthless. But by OCI you'll have run for real board positions, so you don't really need the 1L rep angle for 2L summer.

FYI, RPTE = Racoons, Processes To Eliminate (them)

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:12 pm

IAFG wrote:Being part of, say, RPTE could help if you're trying to pitch yourself for T&E practice. I don't think they're totally worthless. But by OCI you'll have run for real board positions, so you don't really need the 1L rep angle for 2L summer.

Outside of leadership positions in certain affinity groups and perhaps the most senior positions within SBA, I don't think that firm's give two shits about board positions. That said, I'd be curious to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.

I was in RPTE. It was totally worthless. The only thing that clubs/groups are good for at NU is free lunch.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:15 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

Outside of leadership positions in certain affinity groups and perhaps the most senior positions within SBA, I don't think that firm's give two shits about board positions. That said, I'd be curious to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.

I was in RPTE. It was totally worthless. The only thing that clubs/groups are good for at NU is free lunch.

It depends. I joined one group that was "worthless" from a job pursuit standpoint, but was something I was interested in and let me get involved in some cool research projects and discussion panels (along with a good lunch).

I also know a 2L who used RPTE to network into a pretty awesome employment opportunity.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

I worked for a prof. who basically had me doing maybe 5-10 hours worth of work/week on a busy week and I took two classes. I just made sure that when I sat for interviews I knew how to spin the work for the professor in a way that made it sound great. I mean I'm sure a 1L SA position with some V10 would be great on a resume but employers know how difficult those are to get, the key thing is to do something.

Maybe it would have helped more if it were a V10, but I had a big law 1L SA that didn't seem to help all that much. As long as its a legal job and you can come up with stuff to talk about in interviews, then I don't think theres much of a difference.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:15 pm

How do you all like living in Chicago?

Also I know students at NU are a bit older than at most law schools, so more students are probably married and may even have kids. Would you say students generally have a solid social life (as far as one can have a social life in law school)? Do social events have good attendance?

Dustin.

Postby Dustin. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm going to be visisting Chicago for the first time later this week, and would like to stop by and check out the law school.

Wondering if its it okay to just stop by and walk around/check things out, or should I go through the trouble of contacting admissions first?

While I'm there, is there anything really interesting I should make sure to see?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Dustin. wrote:I'm going to be visisting Chicago for the first time later this week, and would like to stop by and check out the law school.

Wondering if its it okay to just stop by and walk around/check things out, or should I go through the trouble of contacting admissions first?

While I'm there, is there anything really interesting I should make sure to see?
You can get a student-guided tour any day except Wednesday, at noon. I'd recommend that over just wandering. (Check in at the Admissions office.)
Otherwise, I think the Admissions office has self-guided tour guide sheets or something. You should stop in there and at least announce your presence.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Dustin. wrote:I'm going to be visisting Chicago for the first time later this week, and would like to stop by and check out the law school.

You can get a student-guided tour any day except Wednesday, at noon. I'd recommend that over just wandering. (Check in at the Admissions office.)
Otherwise, I think the Admissions office has self-guided tour guide sheets or something. You should stop in there and at least announce your presence.

Sit in on a class, and make sure to peek at Lincoln hall to see all the fancy-lawyerlyness.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Sit in on a class, and make sure to peek at Lincoln hall to see all the fancy-lawyerlyness.
Yes, Lincoln hall is cool. That and the inner courtyard are the best photos to take home and show the family. :P

Dustin.

Postby Dustin. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yes, Lincoln hall is cool. That and the inner courtyard are the best photos to take home and show the family. :P

Sounds good. I'll contact admissions and see if they can set something up last minute.

Thanks for the advice.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:How do you all like living in Chicago?

Also I know students at NU are a bit older than at most law schools, so more students are probably married and may even have kids. Would you say students generally have a solid social life (as far as one can have a social life in law school)? Do social events have good attendance?

I don't know if you are older or younger, but I personally am one on the younger ones at the school. It really is not noticeable at all and never comes into play. I feel as if there is a very good mix within our class and I have friends that range the entire spectrum.

For social life, every bar review is always packed and always a good time. There are always people to go out with or hang out with at night or on weekends

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:58 am

It was suggested to me that I consider completing the Tax LLM program concurrently with the JD program because of my career interests. However, it looks like even if I do the six-semester plan I have to pay extra. (One semester's worth of tuition? I'm a little unclear.) One the one hand, what's a few thousand more. On the other hand, I don't want to waste $30k-$40k and the time and stress.

Would this be a dumb idea? How useful is the Tax LLM? Would it boost my chances at OCI? It looks like you don't take the LLM courses until 3L, but I could include my enrollment on my resume, no?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

The lake-facing windows of library/journal office/clinic deserve mention, too.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:30 am

Samara wrote:It was suggested to me that I consider completing the Tax LLM program concurrently with the JD program because of my career interests. However, it looks like even if I do the six-semester plan I have to pay extra. (One semester's worth of tuition? I'm a little unclear.) One the one hand, what's a few thousand more. On the other hand, I don't want to waste $30k-$40k and the time and stress.

Would this be a dumb idea? How useful is the Tax LLM? Would it boost my chances at OCI? It looks like you don't take the LLM courses until 3L, but I could include my enrollment on my resume, no?

I did the JD/LLM in Tax at NU in six semesters. I don't know that it really helped all that much at OCI, but then again, I left it off of my resume when interviewing with many firms. I think that if you truly want to work in tax, it's great; if not, it can be very confusing to firms.

While I was genuinely very pleased with the classes and professors, I question whether the degree was cost justified, especially for someone who will no longer be working in tax in two weeks. PM me with any detailed questions.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Samara wrote:It was suggested to me that I consider completing the Tax LLM program concurrently with the JD program because of my career interests. However, it looks like even if I do the six-semester plan I have to pay extra. (One semester's worth of tuition? I'm a little unclear.) One the one hand, what's a few thousand more. On the other hand, I don't want to waste $30k-$40k and the time and stress.

I did the JD/LLM in Tax at NU in six semesters. I don't know that it really helped all that much at OCI, but then again, I left it off of my resume when interviewing with many firms. I think that if you truly want to work in tax, it's great; if not, it can be very confusing to firms.

While I was genuinely very pleased with the classes and professors, I question whether the degree was cost justified, especially for someone who will no longer be working in tax in two weeks. PM me with any detailed questions.

Plus isn't it possible to hold off on making tis decision until after OCI? The idea being if you strike out you can do the Tax LLM andtry and get a second shot at BigLaw? I hought I heard about someine in my class doing this after OCI didn't go well.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:53 pm

I would go ahead and apply to the program. There are a handful of classes that you can take as a 2L that would be beneficial even if you do not decide to go the tax route. Specifically, I would take the following classes during your 2L year: (1) Tax Ethics (meets the Ethics requirement and the grade distribution is generous); (2) Corporate Tax; (3) Partnership Tax; and (4) various tax electives that interest you.

If you decide to go the JD/LLM route, you have already knocked out a handful of classes. If you do not decide to go the JD/LLM route, you have taken classes that I would advise any law student interest in corporate/deal work.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I don't know whether this 1L should get a Tax LLM, but I do think it would be a great question to ask when the 1L is talking to tax practitioners at networking events.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Bumi wrote:I don't know whether this 1L should get a Tax LLM, but I do think it would be a great question to ask when the 1L is talking to tax practitioners at networking events.

Not sure if you're being snarky. :P There are a couple tax networking things I'm going to attend this month, but the unfiltered opinion from current and recent students is helpful as well and a better starting point.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”