Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:18 am

Flustercluck wrote:Any neighborhoods you recommend looking into/best ways to find places other than say craigslist?

Totally depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood. A lot of people live in Lincoln Park & Lakeview. I'm not a huge fan of those places but like Wicker Park and West Town. I have actually found several great apartments in Chicago on craigslist and highly recommend it, but things like http://padmapper.com can also be useful.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:19 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:Any neighborhoods you recommend looking into/best ways to find places other than say craigslist?

Totally depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood. A lot of people live in Lincoln Park & Lakeview. I'm not a huge fan of those places but like Wicker Park and West Town. I have actually found several great apartments in Chicago on craigslist and highly recommend it, but things like http://padmapper.com can also be useful.

TL;DR; Holly is a hipster.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:Yea 2am two nights before your first final and it's 12 degrees out. You don't want to have to catch a bus.

Actually, middle of the night is the perfect time to take the bus! I get home in like 10 minutes.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:20 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea 2am two nights before your first final and it's 12 degrees out. You don't want to have to catch a bus.

Actually, middle of the night is the perfect time to take the bus! I get home in like 10 minutes.

You couldn't get home in 10 minutes if you took a cab.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:22 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

You couldn't get home in 10 minutes if you took a cab.

Okay, the bus ride is like 10 or so mins, plus walking. I would put money on being able to get here in 10 mins in a cab after, say 2am.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:23 am

Okay, moar questions and challenges, before this completely turns into us bickering at each other.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:39 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Okay, moar questions and challenges, before this completely turns into us bickering at each other.

Which one of you is the smartest?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:40 am

Ragged wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Okay, moar questions and challenges, before this completely turns into us bickering at each other.

D-hops

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:42 am

Ragged wrote:

rosetyler

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:07 am

IAFG wrote:
Ragged wrote:

rosetyler

That girl who took Uchi's WL offer.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:54 am

Any tips for an incoming 1L....? :lol:

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:49 pm

dddhhh wrote:Any tips for an incoming 1L....? :lol:

RUN

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:00 pm

for now, relax, sleep a lot, read for fun. come back to us when school starts.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:07 pm

IAFG wrote:
Ragged wrote:What's it like to know you will be unemployed and in debt in a couple of years?

it feels, tastes and smells like cheap beer on the breath of a trashy blonde.

delicious.

Be nice to Holly!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Flustercluck wrote:Just a couple questions on housing.

What percentage of people live right next to campus vs. living further out, and is it worth the extra rent to be closer?

Definitely worth it 1L year. In the finals deathmarch you definitely want to be able to roll out of bed and get to your 8:50 in a few minutes, then drag your tired ass 3 blocks home at midnight.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Relax this summer. 1L is heavily back-loaded, and you generally can't compensate by getting work done ahead of time (starting outlines in September, etc). So you'll have to go balls to the wall in November and you need to be prepared for that.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:06 pm

rayiner wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Ragged wrote:What's it like to know you will be unemployed and in debt in a couple of years?

it feels, tastes and smells like cheap beer on the breath of a trashy blonde.

delicious.

Be nice to Holly!

Eh, at least she called me delicious.

ejbjch

Postby ejbjch » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm

Hey all-
I have a housing related question.
I want a one bedroom near campus and I want to live in a relatively nice building - what are my options (as far as buildings go) and how much am I looking at? (Is 1500 a month realistic? - I think I was looking at Streeter Place and that seemed more around at least 1800 a month...)
Also, do a lot people live on the other side of lake shore park? (like chestnut st and pearson st)]
Thanks in advance!

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:42 pm

ejbjch wrote:Hey all-
I want a one bedroom near campus and I want to live in a relatively nice building - what are my options (as far as buildings go) and how much am I looking at? (Is 1500 a month realistic? - I think I was looking at Streeter Place and that seemed more around at least 1800 a month...)
Also, do a lot people live on the other side of lake shore park? (like chestnut st and pearson st)]
Thanks in advance!

1500 is realistic and plenty of people do.

Look at 860 Dewitt it meets both your requirements and last summer they were giving two free months of 1 bedroom rent.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks in advance!

streeter place is like, the most expensive of the buildings close to campus. the chestnut/pearson/dewitt area is a bit older but less expensive. mcclurg is pretty nice and polished and close, though pricier.

AztecaRex

Postby AztecaRex » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Hey mates,

Just out of curiosity, how do (or if) you think the unofficial work experience requirement makes the school unique?

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Thanks in advance!

Look at 860 Dewitt it meets both your requirements and last summer they were giving two free months of 1 bedroom rent.

I would use a primarily apartment realtor (Homescout, apartmentfinders or whatever) AND a primary condo realtor (usually does sales but also does rentals for those units) I rented my first year and found a much better deal for years 2 and 3 renting a condo close to school. But if you just use an apartment finding agency they won't have the listings that the sales realtors on condos do for rent usually.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:20 pm

AztecaRex wrote:Hey mates,

Just out of curiosity, how do (or if) you think the unofficial work experience requirement makes the school unique?

This was a huge draw for me and I think others who go to NU.

First of all, I think in general the work experience is a big selling point for biglaw employers, especially if you've had real world "professional" work experience (meaning, something that you can spin will actually make you much more prepared for the biglaw atmosphere, working your ass off, dealing with client relations if you need to etc) I also think there is a general sense that the NU class overall is a little more mature (applying both to those straight through and those with years of experience, and of course with exception) which I didn't really fully realize until I was doing callbacks during OCI at the same time as 2Ls from other schools and I was blown away by how immature some of them were.

I also have appreciated that I get the sense that while of course some people go to every law school to avoid the real world for a few years or whatever, I think the fact that people at NU have for the most part been in the real world already gives a special understanding in this economy of law school being an investment and taking law school a little more seriously maybe. That said I haven't attended another school so that might be in my head.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Thanks in advance!

1500 is about what I pay for a 600 sq-ft convertible on a mid-high floor in McClurg. Couple of points though:

1) You can save a few bucks if you get your apartment hunting done early before the (cheaper) lower floor apartments fill up. I didn't find my apartment until July.

2) Depending on your other expenses and sources of cash, paying $1500/mo in rent can make things a bit tight. Your COL funds for spring semester will be about $8800. As a 1L, that'll have to pay for 4.5 months (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, a week of May for finals, another week for writing competition). Subtract about $500-600 for books and supplements, and $75/mo for utilities, that leaves you with about $1200, or about $250/mo for all your other expenses (food, drinks, etc). That's really tight unless you're disciplined about not eating out, not going out drinking, not grabbing lattes at Starbucks, etc. If you have some savings (or parents willing to fund your alcoholism), $1500 is fine, but otherwise I'd try to keep your rent under $1200, which you can do by having a roommate at McClurg in a 2BR or by getting a 1BR at Lakeshore plaza or 860 DeWitt.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Holly will do shots with incoming students at ASW if you buy.

This is true. Let me know if you want to take me up on the "Challenges" part of this thread, while we're at it.

Will you hold my small child while I reach for my wallet, then do the shot b/c if so I'm in!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”