Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cobretti

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:52 pm

bdubs wrote:
mrizza wrote:I thought this was a summer externship? How could it only be open to 3Ls?

I think it's a last ditch backstop for rising 3Ls who don't have summer jobs.

There isn't much that is special about the CC practicum other than getting course credit. If you want a 1L gig in a corporate counsel office there are other avenues to get one. I think that having an MBA already would be an asset in that search.

Sounds great, thanks for the info

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:10 pm

bdubs wrote:
mrizza wrote:I thought this was a summer externship? How could it only be open to 3Ls?

I think it's a last ditch backstop for rising 3Ls who don't have summer jobs.

There isn't much that is special about the CC practicum other than getting course credit. If you want a 1L gig in a corporate counsel office there are other avenues to get one. I think that having an MBA already would be an asset in that search.

People do in-house crap all the time without MBAs or being JDMBAs. Consulting backgrounds seem to help, along with industry-specific backgrounds.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:52 pm

I know it's early, but is there a 2L or 3L who would be willing to share an Allen Civ Pro outline in exchange for coffee or cookies? I'm having some trouble figuring out what's important and what isn't, and I think a little scope would help.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I know it's early, but is there a 2L or 3L who would be willing to share an Allen Civ Pro outline in exchange for coffee or cookies? I'm having some trouble figuring out what's important and what isn't, and I think a little scope would help.

After the outlining workshops in a couple of weeks, your APEx advisors will be able to help hook you up.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:51 am

Is it true that the incoming class has a lower percentage of students with work experience than previous classes?

I dont have professional work experience, but I am in a master's program and intern for the Democratic Party in my state. Could that be of any help to me in admissions?

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:06 am

timeandspace11 wrote:Is it true that the incoming class has a lower percentage of students with work experience than previous classes?

I dont have professional work experience, but I am in a master's program and intern for the Democratic Party in my state. Could that be of any help to me in admissions?

1L here, but I believe at orientation the quoted WE numbers were slightly lower than they were for last year. Something like 91% instead of 95% for 1 year of WE and the number of 2+ years of WE went down a few percentage points as well.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 am

Kikero wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Is it true that the incoming class has a lower percentage of students with work experience than previous classes?

1L here, but I believe at orientation the quoted WE numbers were slightly lower than they were for last year. Something like 91% instead of 95% for 1 year of WE and the number of 2+ years of WE went down a few percentage points as well.
On Thursday the dean said that they relaxed the WE requirement slightly (90% with 1 year WE) for this incoming class to maintain the LSAT and GPA medians, and that the medians are exactly(?) the same as last year.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kikero wrote:

On Thursday the dean said that they relaxed the WE requirement slightly (90% with 1 year WE) for this incoming class to maintain the LSAT and GPA medians, and that the medians are exactly(?) the same as last year.

Do you believe a similar trend is possible for the next incoming class?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:08 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Do you believe a similar trend is possible for the next incoming class?

It really depends on if the number of people taking the LSAT and applying to LS drops even more this year. I'd say it's not likely to go back up, but I'm not sure that it'll drop much farther than that. Regardless though, it's a sign that in the end, #s trump all, and those who are above median probably don't have to worry as much about being a K-JD.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Do you believe a similar trend is possible for the next incoming class?

It really depends on if the number of people taking the LSAT and applying to LS drops even more this year. I'd say it's not likely to go back up, but I'm not sure that it'll drop much farther than that. Regardless though, it's a sign that in the end, #s trump all, and those who are above median probably don't have to worry as much about being a K-JD.

There's also variation from year to year, so I wouldn't necessarily take this drop as a trend.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

There's also variation from year to year, so I wouldn't necessarily take this drop as a trend.

Maybe not a "trend" in the sense the WE % will be even lower next year, but the dean hinted pretty heavily that the higher % K-JD is here to stay.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Can someone touch on the B-school "tilt" they supposedly add to their school? I think NU might be a good fit for me. I'm in businessadmin/econ while working at a broker/dealer (stock trading). I've got my series 7 (heavy duty license to trade) and I'm working on getting a second license that will allow me to be a financial advisor.

I want to go to law school because the law fascinates me. I want to learn the law and be able to practice it because it's invaluable. I can't say big law is exactly an aim of mine, but I see they place the most in business & industry in T14... Can someone explain exactly what that means? What's an example of a job in bus&ind?

It may be exactly what I'm looking for!

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Will your undergrad major have an effect? For example, does an economics or a business major carry any extra weight?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Will your undergrad major have an effect? For example, does an economics or a business major carry any extra weight?

Much like all other schools UGPA is really all that matters in terms of undergrad. The difference with NU is the weight it places on work experience, even with the drop, 90% is still a huge number. I am also under the impression that the locket listsev emails were sent out by people in that K-JD 10%.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 pm

googlesearch wrote:Can someone touch on the B-school "tilt" they supposedly add to their school? I think NU might be a good fit for me. I'm in businessadmin/econ while working at a broker/dealer (stock trading). I've got my series 7 (heavy duty license to trade) and I'm working on getting a second license that will allow me to be a financial advisor.

I want to go to law school because the law fascinates me. I want to learn the law and be able to practice it because it's invaluable. I can't say big law is exactly an aim of mine, but I see they place the most in business & industry in T14... Can someone explain exactly what that means? What's an example of a job in bus&ind?

A job in "business & industry" generally isn't law. Could be consulting, could be finance, could be Starbucks.

You sound like a good candidate for JDMBA. I heard anecdotally that it's easier for women to get in and get scholly for JDMBA, but it's an expensive program even with money.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:46 pm

googlesearch wrote:Can someone touch on the B-school "tilt" they supposedly add to their school? I think NU might be a good fit for me. I'm in businessadmin/econ while working at a broker/dealer (stock trading). I've got my series 7 (heavy duty license to trade) and I'm working on getting a second license that will allow me to be a financial advisor.

1) Law is boring
2) You learn almost no actual law in law school
3) 170K in tuition isn't worth it.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

1) Law is boring

But I can't practice law without a JD.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:12 pm

IAFG wrote:

A job in "business & industry" generally isn't law. Could be consulting, could be finance, could be Starbucks.

You sound like a good candidate for JDMBA. I heard anecdotally that it's easier for women to get in and get scholly for JDMBA, but it's an expensive program even with money.

I'm looking for consulting & finance, at least it's looking that way. I know BCG picks up JDs.

Maybe I'll apply for JDMBA, but I don't think I want the extra school/don't want to pay for it. Not to mention, in case it wasn't clear, my work experience is during UG, not post UG, so I'd assume MBA program would be difficult to get into, even if I do have nice licenses.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Icculus wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Will your undergrad major have an effect? For example, does an economics or a business major carry any extra weight?

Much like all other schools UGPA is really all that matters in terms of undergrad. The difference with NU is the weight it places on work experience, even with the drop, 90% is still a huge number. I am also under the impression that the locket listsev emails were sent out by people in that K-JD 10%.

Yeah, I wasn't under the impression that my UG major would be a boost to get in.. Just relevant in the fact that they supposedly have a business angle in their law school. Whatever that means.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:42 am

googlesearch wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

1) Law is boring

But I can't practice law without a JD.

So you do or you don't want to be a lawyer? Don't get a JD if you don't want to be a lawyer.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 am

googlesearch wrote:But I can't practice law without a JD.

googlesearch wrote:I'm looking for consulting & finance, at least it's looking that way. I know BCG picks up JDs.

Consulting and finance is not practicing law. You don't sound like you want to practice law. You can work in business but have a lot of interaction with lawyers without getting a law degree. You can take business law classes while you get your MBA. I highly recommend that you get some post-UG work experience though, to help clarify what exactly you want before you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Regardless of your career goals, if you come to Northwestern thinking a NU JD is a business+law hybrid degree, you'll be disappointed. Northwestern is a law school. I read the same marketing materials that you read about how Northwestern is business focused, but I haven't seen that to be true unless you get a JD/MBA. It has business law classes just like every other law school and you can take them, that's all. I happen to like it here, but that's because I want to be a lawyer who practices law.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:33 am

Bumi wrote:

googlesearch wrote:I'm looking for consulting & finance, at least it's looking that way. I know BCG picks up JDs.

Consulting and finance is not practicing law. You don't sound like you want to practice law. You can work in business but have a lot of interaction with lawyers without getting a law degree. You can take business law classes while you get your MBA. I highly recommend that you get some post-UG work experience though, to help clarify what exactly you want before you invest hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Regardless of your career goals, if you come to Northwestern thinking a NU JD is a business+law hybrid degree, you'll be disappointed. Northwestern is a law school. I read the same marketing materials that you read about how Northwestern is business focused, but I haven't seen that to be true unless you get a JD/MBA. It has business law classes just like every other law school and you can take them, that's all. I happen to like it here, but that's because I want to be a lawyer who practices law.

I think we are more business focused than other schools in that we have more classes that are biglaw oriented: hedge fund law, project finance... pretty much everything that's cross-listed with the b-school. It's not the lack of "businessy" coursework that gets in the way of getting a job that intersects with law and business, it's that those jobs don't really exist, or don't exist with the starting salary that is acceptable to most of us.

googlesearch

Postby googlesearch » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Bumi wrote:

I want to practice law, that's why I'm going to go to law school. I was looking for information relevant to me that would be good to write in a PS/Addendum geared specifically toward NU.

Bus & ind needs lawyers, that's why people with JDs get hired. Especially finance. Just because I don't want big law, doesn't mean I don't want to practice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Where do you think most lawyers who serve the financial sector work?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 pm

bk1 wrote:Where do you think most lawyers who serve the financial sector work?

zing!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”