Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cobretti

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Cobretti » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 pm

splitsplat wrote:
mrizza wrote:
Icculus wrote:
mrizza wrote:Does anyone know if the ED scholarship makes you ineligible for other scholarships?

Why would you need other scholarships? It's a full ride.

As for the 60/40 guy I think you should aim for a 172 but a 170 would make you competitive.

Living expenses. I'd still be taking out another 40k/year probably (I have a really big dog, on campus housing isn't an option). Don't want to get greedy, just asking so I can start to come up with a gameplan is all.

40k a year for living expenses? :roll:

Just trying to be realistic. It's chicago and I'll probably have to pay about 1300/month to get a place that will take a 120 lb german shepherd.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 pm

mrizza wrote:Just trying to be realistic. It's chicago and I'll probably have to pay about 1300/month to get a place that will take a 120 lb german shepherd.

Get a place on the northside and/or a roommate, bro. Besides, they won't offer you $40k to take out.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Last edited by Samara on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:09 pm

40k was just a conservative number I threw out there. I'll of course do everything I can to minimize what I actually need if/when I start making my actual plan to move for law school.

The original question was just simply: If I was accepted ED to NU, would I still be eligible for any other scholarships?

I'm just asking to get an idea of where my additional money for living expenses, whatever they may turn out to be, would come from.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm just asking to get an idea of where my additional money for living expenses, whatever they may turn out to be, would come from.

No, no one is going to pay your living expenses in addition to your full ride. Your living expenses money will come from loans, your trust fund, your parents or your savings.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Samara wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Would + 3 year preftigious journalist editing W/E be competitive for the ED? Plz no quotez

LSAT is too low. Something like 172 was the lowest LSAT accepted for the ED last cycle, according to LSN.

Thanks. Can you unquote me? Thanks again.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Yep, sorry, I missed that.

R86

Postby R86 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:21 pm

He said "plz no quotes," btw. nm

darkarmour

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby darkarmour » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Credited.

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rad law wrote:How often do you hook up with someone of the opposite (or same) gender? What's the party scene like up there?

people go out a lot. i was worried that the proportion of olds/marrieds would mean people don't go out a lot but they do.

People reliving college after knowing what real life looks like while they can.

Very true. Law school is the college experience I never had.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:33 pm

mrizza wrote:
Icculus wrote:
mrizza wrote:Does anyone know if the ED scholarship makes you ineligible for other scholarships?

Why would you need other scholarships? It's a full ride.

As for the 60/40 guy I think you should aim for a 172 but a 170 would make you competitive.

Living expenses. I'd still be taking out another 40k/year probably (I have a really big dog, on campus housing isn't an option). Don't want to get greedy, just asking so I can start to come up with a gameplan is all.

You will essentially be allowed around $18K for 9 months living expenses. Live frugally.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:37 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Thanks. Can you unquote me? Thanks again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:40 pm

IAFG wrote:

No, no one is going to pay your living expenses in addition to your full ride. Your living expenses money will come from loans, your trust fund, your parents or your savings.

lol @trust fund/parents/savings

Thanks for the answer though. I've been using the GI Bill for the rest of my education so I'm pretty ignorant about scholarships.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Caesar should kick one student out at random for classes with 41 people enrolled in them.

3 out of my 4 classes are curved. Doing 2L right.

I wasn't hallucinating that less than 40 have been in Admin every day except for day 1 right? And yet, we're at 41 with 2 hours till the drop deadline.

Callbacks

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Caesar should kick one student out at random for classes with 41 people enrolled in them.

3 out of my 4 classes are curved. Doing 2L right.

I wasn't hallucinating that less than 40 have been in Admin every day except for day 1 right? And yet, we're at 41 with 2 hours till the drop deadline.

Callbacks

It's at 40 now. Somebody better not troll us by adding after the drop period.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:59 pm

bk1 wrote:It's at 40 now. Somebody better not troll us by adding after the drop period.

Fishman's new, can someone get to him and stress how important it is not to add anyone at this point? And maybe explain what a gentleman's A- is?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:00 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bk1 wrote:It's at 40 now. Somebody better not troll us by adding after the drop period.

Fishman's new, can someone get to him and stress how important it is not to add anyone at this point? And maybe explain what a gentleman's A- is?

yesssss

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 am

Do the schools give you passes or cards or something to take public transportation. Some of my friends in Chicago (not in law school) get CTA passes and can ride the subway and take buses for free?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:05 am

timeandspace11 wrote:Do the schools give you passes or cards or something to take public transportation. Some of my friends in Chicago (not in law school) get CTA passes and can ride the subway and take buses for free?

Yep, we get CTA passes. Only during the school year though, so you have to pay yourself over the summer which kinda sucks. Also IIRC they don't give you replacements, so if you lose yours its gone till the next time they give them out.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks for the advice on this thread so far. It has been very helpful. Is it fairly common for students to live in areas such as Uptown, edgewater, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and Andersonville?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:43 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Do the schools give you passes or cards or something to take public transportation. Some of my friends in Chicago (not in law school) get CTA passes and can ride the subway and take buses for free?

Yep, we get CTA passes. Only during the school year though, so you have to pay yourself over the summer which kinda sucks. Also IIRC they don't give you replacements, so if you lose yours its gone till the next time they give them out.

A replacement costs $50 and is a pain to get, but you can get one.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:43 am

timeandspace11 wrote:Thanks for the advice on this thread so far. It has been very helpful. Is it fairly common for students to live in areas such as Uptown, edgewater, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and Andersonville?

I wouldn't say it's common, but there are definitely people who live in those neighborhoods, particularly after 1L.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Hey guys, quick question from a 0L.

Does anyone know if you can also qualify for the Corporate Counsel Practicum (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/legalclinic/externships/studentopps/courses/#corporate) as a vanilla JD, if you already have a MBA? Pretty specific question, I know, but anyone with any insights would be very helpful since Professor Wentz's contact info isn't on the school's site.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:23 pm

mrizza wrote:Hey guys, quick question from a 0L.

Does anyone know if you can also qualify for the Corporate Counsel Practicum (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/legalclinic/externships/studentopps/courses/#corporate) as a vanilla JD, if you already have a MBA? Pretty specific question, I know, but anyone with any insights would be very helpful since Professor Wentz's contact info isn't on the school's site.

From the course listing:

"Pre-requisite: Business Associations (Business Law (Kellogg)) or Corporations is a pre-requisite for this course.

Open to third year JD and JDMBA students only."

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:33 pm

I thought this was a summer externship? How could it only be open to 3Ls?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 pm

mrizza wrote:I thought this was a summer externship? How could it only be open to 3Ls?

I think it's a last ditch backstop for rising 3Ls who don't have summer jobs.

There isn't much that is special about the CC practicum other than getting course credit. If you want a 1L gig in a corporate counsel office there are other avenues to get one. I think that having an MBA already would be an asset in that search.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”