Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:All righty, kind 2Ls and 3Ls... is anyone willing to share their outlines (and whatever else you feel like sharing. Flowcharts? I don't know what else there is.) for:

Redish - CivPro
Nadler - Crim
Murphey - Torts
Narko - CLR (Is there anything useful to share in CLR?)

I have some stuff for Bennett - Contracts already but if yours is particularly awesome I'll take it. (The stuff I have is from Icculus, I think, via Samara.)

I'll even make you cookies IRL, if that's an incentive.

I know it's not outlining time yet, I'm just trying to stay organized.
Nobody wants cookies? :|

I have a Nadler outline. Pester me by email, and I'll dig it up for you.
Last edited by Eugenie Danglars on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi, I'm a slightly computer-challenged applicant and didn't bother searching through the forums if this has been asked already, so please forgive me if it has.

I'm on the fence about whether or not to ED to Northwestern. I really like the 150K in scholly, and since I'm a VERY risk averse person, this appeals more to me than most other factors. I was just wondering if the cost of living around the area makes this a "true full ride"? I looked up some of the happening places you kids live, like McClurg, and holy cow! Students live in pads like that?! Even assuming I work in a firm for two summers and have very limited (to nonexistent) travel needs, what's the true budget like for the three years?

Oh, and I don't know how to cook but eat a lot... I'm sure that doesn't help my budget does it?

Thanks for your help!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 pm

pacifica wrote:Hi, I'm a slightly computer-challenged applicant and didn't bother searching through the forums if this has been asked already, so please forgive me if it has.

I'm on the fence about whether or not to ED to Northwestern. I really like the 150K in scholly, and since I'm a VERY risk averse person, this appeals more to me than most other factors. I was just wondering if the cost of living around the area makes this a "true full ride"? I looked up some of the happening places you kids live, like McClurg, and holy cow! Students live in pads like that?! Even assuming I work in a firm for two summers and have very limited (to nonexistent) travel needs, what's the true budget like for the three years?

Oh, and I don't know how to cook but eat a lot... I'm sure that doesn't help my budget does it?

Thanks for your help!
Well tuition this year is $53k and it will assuredly go up so $150k won't even cover all of tuition. The living costs run you $20k+ per year. I'd say a CoA for just living costs over three years would be like $75k or so including interest and stuff.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 pm

pacifica wrote:Hi, I'm a slightly computer-challenged applicant and didn't bother searching through the forums if this has been asked already, so please forgive me if it has.

Thanks for your help!
Well, since tuition is just over $53,000 per year (and rises every year), $150k would not quite be a full ride. And it doesn't cover any living expenses.

Yes, we really do live in McClurg and Onterie and the like. The smallest studios here run $1200-$1400 and will fit in the Cost of Attendance budget (more or less). If you live with a roommate and/or further away from campus, you can easily come in well under the $79,628 per 9-month academic year budget. Some people stretch it to cover summer living expenses too.

You should learn to cook. It's part of being a functional adult and will save a ton of money.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:56 pm

Flips88 wrote:Yes, we really do live in McClurg and Onterie and the like. The smallest studios here run $1200-$1400 and will fit in the Cost of Attendance budget (more or less). If you live with a roommate and/or further away from campus, you can easily come in well under the $79,628 per 9-month academic year budget. Some people stretch it to cover summer living expenses too.

You should learn to cook. It's part of being a functional adult and will save a ton of money.
Thanks for the quick replies, that was sort of my estimate, good to hear it confirmed. Sound's like it's essentially another 100K even on top of that scholly in order to cover everything; still better than almost any other school, but still a lot :|

Quick follow up, are there actually good grocery stores nearby? I was half joking about the cooking thing, but I have been mostly eating Boloco burritos the last four years in grad school just because there are no grocery stores nearby for someone without a car...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:58 pm

pacifica wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Yes, we really do live in McClurg and Onterie and the like. The smallest studios here run $1200-$1400 and will fit in the Cost of Attendance budget (more or less). If you live with a roommate and/or further away from campus, you can easily come in well under the $79,628 per 9-month academic year budget. Some people stretch it to cover summer living expenses too.

Thanks for the quick replies, that was sort of my estimate, good to hear it confirmed. Sound's like it's essentially another 100K even on top of that scholly in order to cover everything; still better than almost any other school, but still a lot :|

Quick follow up, are there actually good grocery stores nearby? I was half joking about the cooking thing, but I have been mostly eating Boloco burritos the last four years in grad school just because there are no grocery stores nearby for someone without a car...
Within walking distance of school there is a Treasure Island, Dominick's, Trader Joes, and a fancier place called Fox & Obel.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Flips88 wrote:
pacifica wrote:

Within walking distance of school there is a Treasure Island, Dominick's, Trader Joes, and a fancier place called Fox & Obel.
Fox & Obel is crazy fancy. They actually had a better price on mascarpone than Dominick's, but there's also a section of gourmet handmade marshmallows for like $10 a package.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:02 pm

Flips88 wrote: Within walking distance of school there is a Treasure Island, Dominick's, Trader Joes, and a fancier place called Fox & Obel.
Whole Foods is quite close too.

pacifica

Bronze

Post by pacifica » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:11 pm

IAFG wrote:
Flips88 wrote: Within walking distance of school there is a Treasure Island, Dominick's, Trader Joes, and a fancier place called Fox & Obel.
Whole Foods is quite close too.

Oh nice! Trader Joe's and Whole Foods should be more than enough for a not-picky eater like myself.

Well thanks again for your help guys; it's already good to know NU law has such nice students. I'm interviewing on campus early October and hopefully I'll send my app in soon after. Been to Chicago once before and loved it, so non-school-related factors should be all positive in my mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Side note: Whole Foods is not easy on the budget, for the most part. Except for their bulk stuff.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Side note: Whole Foods is not easy on the budget, for the most part. Except for their bulk stuff.
Their beers are reasonably priced and the meat isn't bad when its on sale, but generally... ya it hurts.

It's the only place around here that seems to have a good beer selection though.

elizcbeth

New

Post by elizcbeth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Hey guys! How do you practice taking exams when your professor hasn't posted any exams on the library? I have Pfander, Shoked, Lupo, and Friedman. Thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:31 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Hey guys! How do you practice taking exams when your professor hasn't posted any exams on the library? I have Pfander, Shoked, Lupo, and Friedman. Thanks!
Ask 2L/3Ls. There often are PTs for these profs floating around. If not then take an exam by a different prof that hews as close as possible to your prof's exam format. Also: if Pfander is doing multiple choice again then the Glannon Guide to Civ Pro has a bunch of practice MC questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 pm

bk187 wrote:
elizcbeth wrote:Hey guys! How do you practice taking exams when your professor hasn't posted any exams on the library? I have Pfander, Shoked, Lupo, and Friedman. Thanks!
Ask 2L/3Ls. There often are PTs for these profs floating around. If not then take an exam by a different prof that hews as close as possible to your prof's exam format. Also: if Pfander is doing multiple choice again then the Glannon Guide to Civ Pro has a bunch of practice MC questions.
Also Pfander will likely give you a practice midterm and a model answer and another test toward the end of the semester. Doing other Civ Pro issue spotters on the library are fine but the older they are the less useful a model answer will be since there are some relatively new civ pro concepts in the last 5 years or so i.e. Twombly/Iqbal

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:55 pm

bk187 wrote:
IMO Pfander's MC questions are MUCH harder than Glannon guide

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:56 pm

homestyle28 wrote:IMO Pfander's MC questions are MUCH harder than Glannon guide
Anyone have input on the difficulty of Allen's MC questions vs. Glannon (or old Pfander/Allen tests)?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:57 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
IMO Pfander's MC questions are MUCH harder than Glannon guide
Agreed, but there isn't really anything else to practice with that I knew of. Maybe BarBri has something?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:IMO Pfander's MC questions are MUCH harder than Glannon guide
Anyone have input on the difficulty of Allen's MC questions vs. Glannon (or old Pfander/Allen tests)?
The Glannon Guide is a GODSEND for that class. My recommendation (which I believe was passed on to me by rayiner here) would be to read the entire Glannon Guide in the few days before your exam, make sure you know exactly why you got each question right or wrong, and bring the book with you to the exam. (Seriously. I referenced it more than once.)

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 am

Can all you 1Ls stop shitting up my email with your crappy jokes?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:14 am

Flips88 wrote:Can all you 1Ls stop shitting up my email with your crappy jokes?

3L just totally redeemed that thread

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 am

Believe me, it's annoying some of us too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:26 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
Believe me, it's annoying some of us too.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:44 am

splitmuch wrote:

:lol: :lol: +1

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:51 am

splitmuch wrote:

Yup. Also, I am getting the feeling that the 1Ls have a large KC like contingency when it comes to mass email comedy.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:57 am

I chuckled at the first one. Now it's getting lame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”