Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dolfan0516

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Bumi wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:I have four classes tomorrow. Do I really need to bring the books for all of the classes?

You need your casebooks in your doctrinal classes.

You almost certainly don't need to bring your CLR book to that class, but you should also already know what that professor expects.

Any advice on bringing the books everyday? Is there some sort of system people use, like leave certain books at school certain days or something, so I dont have to carry 3 casebooks to class and back everyday?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:40 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:I have four classes tomorrow. Do I really need to bring the books for all of the classes?

You almost certainly don't need to bring your CLR book to that class, but you should also already know what that professor expects.

Any advice on bringing the books everyday? Is there some sort of system people use, like leave certain books at school certain days or something

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:56 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:Any advice on bringing the books everyday? Is there some sort of system people use, like leave certain books at school certain days or something, so I dont have to carry 3 casebooks to class and back everyday?

Do reading at school. Read a week at a time for each class so you only have to take one book home at a time. Go home at lunch to exchange your morning books for your afternoon book. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:56 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Any advice on bringing the books everyday? Is there some sort of system people use, like leave certain books at school certain days or something, so I dont have to carry 3 casebooks to class and back everyday?

I did my reading only in the law school. So I just kept everything in my library locker.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:34 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Obviously this is a matter of personal preference. i try to read at school whenever possible, but I also use a week at a time schedule so if I do need to leave campus, I only have to take one book.

Should I Transfer??

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm

So, if I have a class that isn't on blackboard does that mean there is no first day assignment?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:So, if I have a class that isn't on blackboard does that mean there is no first day assignment?

1. Have you checked your nlaw email?
2. Have you checked with people in your section? I know people in all four sections and NO ONE has mentioned a class that doesn't have any reading.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Should I Transfer?? wrote:So, if I have a class that isn't on blackboard does that mean there is no first day assignment?

Assuming the prof hasn't emailed you, if there's nothing on BB then there's no way you or anybody else could know what to do even if there were reading for the first day.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:07 pm

If you're talking about section 4 property, apparently there was a New Yorker article emailed out and that's the only thing you've been assigned.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Whats with the not having half the classesonBB yet?

Should I Transfer??

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 pm

rising 2L, so no section. Nothing on BB & no e-mail. So, guess we'll see tomorrow.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Whats with the not having half the classesonBB yet?

Or not disbursing loan m oney yet

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm

splitmuch wrote:

I just got notification that the loan refund thingy has processed and will be in the bank within 48 hours. So now it's US Bank holding things up.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Dude my rent is due tomorrow at the latest, WTF ):

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:27 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

I just got notification that the loan refund thingy has processed and will be in the bank within 48 hours. So now it's US Bank holding things up.

I don't know if that means that its the bank still holding things up. I know BOA regularly process transfers instantaneously. Still, though, I've been told they are allowed to disburse the funds 10 days before school starts. They just choose not to.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi:
I'm starting as a 1L....My section-mates and I have Thomas Brennan for Contracts....... problem is that the SF outline bank doesn't have any outlines for his class..... only thing I see is that he's taught Fed Tax and Tax. Also nothing in the library on past exams.
Can anyone give me some suggestions? or better does anyone have an outline to give-sell? Thanks.

I can give you Bennett contract outlines but I don't think itll do you much good.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm starting as a 1L....My section-mates and I have Thomas Brennan for Contracts....... problem is that the SF outline bank doesn't have any outlines for his class..... only thing I see is that he's taught Fed Tax and Tax. Also nothing in the library on past exams.
Can anyone give me some suggestions? or better does anyone have an outline to give-sell? Thanks.

My suggestion is to relax about finding someone else's contracts outline. You don't need an outline or past exams yet, you need to learn to read cases and figure out what your profs want you to learn from them. Brennan taught contracts last year and there will be plenty of 2L help for this class available to you, but you're not taking any exams tomorrow as far as I know.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 pm

WTF, I've already lost my Contracts source material text. Left it in RB140 today, I think. *facepalm*

And just outed my real name to anyone who hadn't figured it out yet. Good thing I DGAF.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Dude my rent is due tomorrow at the latest, WTF ):

Ask D-Rod for dat sandwhich fund.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Relax. You have had one day of class. You shouldn't even be thinking about this stuff yet. See wat Bumi said. Learn what the profs are looking for, read, get to know people. It will be okay.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Dude hasn't taught that class in years. I don't think anyone who is currently at the school will have an outline for him.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:10 pm

bdubs wrote:

Dude hasn't taught that class in years. I don't think anyone who is currently at the school will have an outline for him.

While this may be true, 1st day of class is way too soon to be worried about getting an old outline. I'm also willing to bet other outlines will help when exam time rolls around.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11 pm

bdubs wrote:

People keep saying that in this thread. Am I hallucinating that section 2 had him last fall? Are there two Brennans in Caesar?

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”