Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Makes sense. Fact of the matter is, I don't host any get togethers pretty much ever, so this works out well for me. Where did you get a place at?

North lakeview, right around irving park and the lake, so the same general neighborhood I was in before. Walking distance to train, express buses, and (most importantly) boystown.

Lol. Nice. I am about 4 blocks away from spin. MY BODY IS READY.

They have $1 drinks on Wednesday...

Count me in.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:51 pm

--LinkRemoved--

This one?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:http://www.spin-nightclub.com/

This one?

Indeed.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Incoming 1L here- is there a way we can check our exam schedule now that we have our class schedule, or do we have to wait until we get syllabi?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Incoming 1L here- is there a way we can check our exam schedule now that we have our class schedule, or do we have to wait until we get syllabi?

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/registr ... hedule.pdf

You are way ahead of yourself bro.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Incoming 1L here- is there a way we can check our exam schedule now that we have our class schedule, or do we have to wait until we get syllabi?

Thanks!

And don't worry, I'm not that neurotic- just trying to appease my parents who are trying to book flights to see family overseas over Christmas.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:32 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks!

And don't worry, I'm not that neurotic- just trying to appease my parents who are trying to book flights to see family overseas over Christmas.

Don't plan a flight until late the 21st. You'll be drunk/hungover.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks!

Don't plan a flight until late the 21st. You'll be drunk/hungover.

Noted.

UncleFilz

Postby UncleFilz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Opinions on Horwich for securities reg or Francis/Richards for Chapter 11?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 pm

UncleFilz wrote:Opinions on Horwich for securities reg or Francis/Richards for Chapter 11?

I highly recommend Chap. 11 with Francis. It's a hard test, but he grades easy if there is no curve.

UncleFilz

Postby UncleFilz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
UncleFilz wrote:Opinions on Horwich for securities reg or Francis/Richards for Chapter 11?

I highly recommend Chap. 11 with Francis. It's a hard test, but he grades easy if there is no curve.

Thank you. One more - Kenneth Harris (tax ethics)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Anyone want to invest in a restaurant with me? American comfort food and wine by the glass...a surefire winner.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Icculus wrote:Anyone want to invest in a restaurant with me? American comfort food and wine by the glass...a surefire winner.

LOL

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:21 am

UncleFilz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thank you. One more - Kenneth Harris (tax ethics)

I agree here. In Fall of 2011, the lowest grade that Harris gave out was an A-minus. This class also meets the ethics requirement. No real knowledge of tax needed (but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this class for those sure that they want to be litigators).

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 am

Structuring Transactions - Commercial Finance with Thomas Brown was one of the best classes that I ever took at NU ... especially for anywhere interested in corporate and in particular finance/banking work. The objective of the class is to draft a credit agreement. Guess what you'll be doing as a young corporate associate ... drafting first drafts of credit agreements.

The class was also very helpful in understanding drafting in general.

For those interested in corporate dealwork, I would also highly recommend both Corporate Tax and Partnership Tax. Tough classes, but these classes will be appreciated down the road. Tax efficient structuring is paramount to just about every deal.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am

I'll speak for Horwich SecReg, not because I took his class, but because I spoke with enough people who took it to know that it wasn't for me. It is a TON of work. The general consensus is that if it were accurately assigned credits based on the amount of work involved (due to the sheer amount of detailed, complex material he covers), it should be like a six credit class. Check out the past evaluations on Caesar if you want more details on this; the same comments to this effect are written year after year. That said, he is also known as a really, really great prof. So, for me, based on the amount of work/studying involved, I would only take this class if I were fairly sure I would be working with securities in a fairly detailed capacity on a regular basis. And since I won't be doing so, I decided not to take it. Several people have told me that if you're just going into general corporate law (e.g., M&A), you can learn everything about sec-reg that you need to know by self-studying the E&E and focusing on the few heavy-hitter SEC rules that general corp lawyers need to be familiar with.

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:05 pm

dru617 wrote:

I'll speak for Horwich SecReg, not because I took his class, but because I spoke with enough people who took it to know that it wasn't for me. It is a TON of work. The general consensus is that if it were accurately assigned credits based on the amount of work involved (due to the sheer amount of detailed, complex material he covers), it should be like a six credit class. Check out the past evaluations on Caesar if you want more details on this; the same comments to this effect are written year after year. That said, he is also known as a really, really great prof. So, for me, based on the amount of work/studying involved, I would only take this class if I were fairly sure I would be working with securities in a fairly detailed capacity on a regular basis. And since I won't be doing so, I decided not to take it. Several people have told me that if you're just going into general corporate law (e.g., M&A), you can learn everything about sec-reg that you need to know by self-studying the E&E and focusing on the few heavy-hitter SEC rules that general corp lawyers need to be familiar with.

Speaking as someone who actually took Horwich's Sec Reg, it was perhaps the best class I've taken in law school. It is hard work though. If you're allergic to that, you won't like it.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 pm

alabamabound wrote:
dru617 wrote:

Speaking as someone who actually took Horwich's Sec Reg, it was perhaps the best class I've taken in law school. It is hard work though. If you're allergic to that, you won't like it.

+1

Also, saying that it should be a 6 credit class is bullshit. It is a 4 credit class and there is a good bit of reading outside of class, but you are in law school, some classes have reading.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 pm

When's the best time to mail out letters for judicial externships for the spring?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 am

So I've just read the "Anonymous Lawyer" (book) and read through the authors blog. How much of it should I believe it reflects the life of an actual Biglaw lawyer?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Flips88 wrote:When's the best time to mail out letters for judicial externships for the spring?

I can't answer that, but I'm sure Cindy Wilson can.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:20 pm

roranoa wrote:So I've just read the "Anonymous Lawyer" (book) and read through the authors blog. How much of it should I believe it reflects the life of an actual Biglaw lawyer?

I doubt many people ITT have read that book/blog and, on top of that, none (I think) of us have experienced real (aka non-SA) biglaw life.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:36 am

Anyone else taking Lawyer Memoirs? 8)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:58 am

Does anyone know if I can take an online class at the School of Continuing Education?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 am

Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know if I can take an online class at the School of Continuing Education?

Yes, but only with Dean's permission in writing.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”