Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Nobody likes 1Ls.

So will my class be more likeable now that we are 2Ls?

Some of you, yes. Some will graduate to the worst creature of all. 2L gunners.

But until oci is over, you are all still 1Ls.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi......... entering 1L (class of 2015) with Borman for CLR. Should I be worried?

1L with 20% chance of no-job pwnage, yeah you should be worried.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm looking for ~700 a month studio/1 bed, and I don't really care where as long as I can commute via CTA in under 50 min, and it's not ridiculously crime ridden. I'm looking at Edgewater, Ravenswood and Uptown. Any other suggestions?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm looking for ~700 a month studio/1 bed, and I don't really care where as long as I can commute via CTA in under 50 min, and it's not ridiculously crime ridden. I'm looking at Edgewater, Ravenswood and Uptown. Any other suggestions?

Albany Park. Safe and quiet. I live there now and it's about 40 minutes door to door.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm

rayiner wrote:
lgleye wrote:Hi......... entering 1L (class of 2015) with Borman for CLR. Should I be worried?

1L with 20% chance of no-job pwnage, yeah you should be worried.

I'm not sure that's exactly what he meant, but well played.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Icculus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm looking for ~700 a month studio/1 bed, and I don't really care where as long as I can commute via CTA in under 50 min, and it's not ridiculously crime ridden. I'm looking at Edgewater, Ravenswood and Uptown. Any other suggestions?

Albany Park. Safe and quiet. I live there now and it's about 40 minutes door to door.

I assume you take the brown line or is there an express bus? I used to work in Ravenswood and rode through Albany Park daily, it looked nice enough.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I assume you take the brown line or is there an express bus? I used to work in Ravenswood and rode through Albany Park daily, it looked nice enough.

FWIW, I've found quite a few listings in LP in the 700-900 range. 700 is definitely on the low end though. If you want to live a little closer.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

You can either take the Brown to the Red and walk from Chicago and State, or the Brown to Chicago and the 66.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

FWIW, I've found quite a few listings in LP in the 700-900 range. 700 is definitely on the low end though. If you want to live a little closer.

Yea ideally LP would an option, maybe I'll go as high as 800 there.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 pm

So I have a law clerk job I'm starting in September (I was already hired) and that will presumably run until May, how should I add that to my resume? Right now I have: Law Clerk, September 2012 – May 2013 (Anticipated) Is there a better way to do that?

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 am

Have you looked into Lakeview? It's pretty accessible to downtown via red line or express bus and doesn't have some of the crime-ish problems of Uptown, etc. Yea, some parts can get expensive, but if you are willing to look LP then you might do even better there. Honestly, if you want to creep into Uptown (but stay in the nicer part) you can probably get away with anything up to Montrose (they call that "Buena Park"...mini neighborhoods within neighborhoods are silly, but I digress...). A lot of condos aren't selling so you might get a steal. Though it is an overbroad generalization, if you want to stay out of the "ridiculously crime ridden" parts of Uptown I wouldn't live in the box between Montrose and Lawrence, Magnolia/malden/dover and the lake. Otherwise...there are good deals to be had.

rha737

Postby rha737 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 am

hi all, i just had a quick question here: how many of the folks here attending NU for their JD also received their BA/BS from NU as well? looking to see if NU tends to look favorably upon their own or not, as i have a BS from NU and am looking to apply this fall for a JD and would love to reattend NU, and, if the odds are in my favor, send an ED here this october. i have heard from colloquial sources although there is the advantage that NU accepts a larger number of NU undergrads than other colleges, the sheer number of NU undergrads applying makes this option extremely competitive and far outweighs any advantages. for a splitter like me, i feel i really need to be cautious to which school i send an ED to, so any information would be a great boon. thanks in advance for any insight.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 am

1. Get biglawl
2. Become Ebeneezer Scrooge

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:

1. Get biglawl

What neighborhood are you living in? I know it's tough finding a place 1000 yards from a school in the city.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

1. Get biglawl

What neighborhood are you living in? I know it's tough finding a place 1000 yards from a school in the city.

LOL. <3

South end of boys town along lakeshore. Rent is 1k.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

1. Get biglawl

LOL. <3

South end of boys town along lakeshore. Rent is 1k.

That must be a pretty nice place at that price.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:That must be a pretty nice place at that price.

16th floor, hardwood floors, granite counters and cherry wood cabinets. It works.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm

bjsesq wrote:

16th floor, hardwood floors, granite counters and cherry wood cabinets. It works.

Studio or 1-bed?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:34 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Studio or 1-bed?

Studio. I managed to work in a deal that netted me a first month's rent of 500, and 1k per after that. It's not great, but I am comfortable with how it ended up. The view of the lake is nice too.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:39 pm

bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Studio or 1-bed?

Studio. I managed to work in a deal that netted me a first month's rent of 500, and 1k per after that. It's not great, but I am comfortable with how it ended up. The view of the lake is nice too.

Nice. I thought about moving into a studio this year but I didn't want to move again in a year, so I went with a pricier 1-bed.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Makes sense. Fact of the matter is, I don't host any get togethers pretty much ever, so this works out well for me. Where did you get a place at?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:42 pm

bjsesq wrote:Makes sense. Fact of the matter is, I don't host any get togethers pretty much ever, so this works out well for me. Where did you get a place at?

North lakeview, right around irving park and the lake, so the same general neighborhood I was in before. Walking distance to train, express buses, and (most importantly) boystown.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:43 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Makes sense. Fact of the matter is, I don't host any get togethers pretty much ever, so this works out well for me. Where did you get a place at?

North lakeview, right around irving park and the lake, so the same general neighborhood I was in before. Walking distance to train, express buses, and (most importantly) boystown.

Lol. Nice. I am about 4 blocks away from spin. MY BODY IS READY.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:45 pm

bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Lol. Nice. I am about 4 blocks away from spin. MY BODY IS READY.

They have $1 drinks on Wednesday...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”