Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:49 pm

splitmuch wrote:
rayiner wrote:Can D-Rod's wife consult on how not to screw up the single most important firm relationship Northwestern has, by botching their OCI schedule?

How does that even happen? How does someone see 80 spots and decide to allocate 160? Once done, and talked about, did noone see 160 and think "man, that's high?"

I know for a fact that the high number was mentioned to an OCS official. (b/c I talked about it in a advising session).

edit: my understanding is that firms who have participated in OCI in the past more or less manage their own affairs in symplicity, not that that's any excuse.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 pm

In non-OCI sutff, thinking the following for the fall:

ITA
Ethics
Admin
FedJur

thoughts?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rayiner wrote:Can D-Rod's wife consult on how not to screw up the single most important firm relationship Northwestern has, by botching their OCI schedule?

I would not have thought this (would've thought Sidley), but I guess they do hire the most SAs. You gotta think someone somewhere was supposed to confirm the # of slots, I know people were talking about so I would have thought that OCS was aware that it was a huge number.

Kirkland hires substantially more (especially during the recession), supports more programs (e.g. WLC), and is more Northwestern-dominated within the firm itself.

The e-mail said "mutual mistake" but given that K&E was just intending to do the same thing it had done every year, I have a hard time believing it wasn't mostly our fault.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:51 pm

homestyle28 wrote:In non-OCI sutff, thinking the following for the fall:

ITA
Ethics
Admin
FedJur

thoughts?

I'd probably only take Pfander's fed jur if it stays under 40 or else it could be a curve slaughter in there.

I bid on:
Shapo's seminar
Evidence
Ethics
Copyright
IP
Employment discrim.

Gonna have to choose between IP and Employment discrim since they're at the same time.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:43 pm

So I have now received two emails and a phone call from Dave Diamond about the cancelled Kirkland interview. They must be concerned about this over at career services.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Icculus wrote:

So I have now received two emails and a phone call from Dave Diamond about the cancelled Kirkland interview. They must be concerned about this over at career services.

What'd he say?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:

What'd he say?

I didn't answer, but the message basically was, "we're really sorry, please call us if you need to talk about this, we know this is fucked up," there will also be a hospitality suite specifically for people who were kicked off the interview list.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 pm

How'd the pick people to kick off? If by bid rank, then it basically screwed people who were smart and bid it low because of 160 interview slots.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:28 pm

rayiner wrote:How'd the pick people to kick off? If by bid rank, then it basically screwed people who were smart and bid it low because of 160 interview slots.

That's exactly what they did. They re-ran it through the lottery system and kicked off the people who bid it late. So if you did your bid list based of the 160 slots (which was the smart thing to do) you got screwed. It was the only Chi firm I bid, and I bid it late since I knew there were 160 slots, I at least have an interview with the NYC office so I'm not as bothered by it, but I bet there are a bunch of people who are. I just think CSO should have been on this sooner.

To top it off, I was just informed by Kagan that the BA final for the summer class cannot be put on Blackboard for some reason, so my "self scheduled" exam that needs to be taken by Friday must be picked up between 9 and 2 M-F of this week, completed in three hours and then brought back to student services. Great fucking plan considering it's also OCI, and my plan was to take the damn thing in the late afternoon one day, but now it needs to be done by 5:00, so looks like I'm taking it Monday.

Considering the amount of debt this school has put me in I am pretty fucking livid they can't get their shit straight this week.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:49 pm

tdicks wrote:so, i've started looking at textbooks, and apparently a few of them are brand new editions (as in, spring/summer of 2012). i was kind of hoping not to pay more than $200 a book, if possible. are the previous editions different enough to create any problems?

You'll be fine if it's just one edition back (unless there's been some massive change in the law. Check with the friendly librarians.) To save time, just borrow a current edition at the beginning of the semester and photocopy the ToC. Then you can cross reference the syllabus assignments with the cases at your leisure.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Icculus wrote:
rayiner wrote:How'd the pick people to kick off? If by bid rank, then it basically screwed people who were smart and bid it low because of 160 interview slots.

That's exactly what they did. They re-ran it through the lottery system and kicked off the people who bid it late. So if you did your bid list based of the 160 slots (which was the smart thing to do) you got screwed. It was the only Chi firm I bid, and I bid it late since I knew there were 160 slots, I at least have an interview with the NYC office so I'm not as bothered by it, but I bet there are a bunch of people who are. I just think CSO should have been on this sooner.

To top it off, I was just informed by Kagan that the BA final for the summer class cannot be put on Blackboard for some reason, so my "self scheduled" exam that needs to be taken by Friday must be picked up between 9 and 2 M-F of this week, completed in three hours and then brought back to student services. Great fucking plan considering it's also OCI, and my plan was to take the damn thing in the late afternoon one day, but now it needs to be done by 5:00, so looks like I'm taking it Monday.

Considering the amount of debt this school has put me in I am pretty fucking livid they can't get their shit straight this week.

Not in the class, but I heard the people in commercial transactions have a final from 7:00-10:00 PM on Monday night. Great timing

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Not in the class, but I heard the people in commercial transactions have a final from 7:00-10:00 PM on Monday night. Great timing

Pretty goddamn funny that this all happened the same day we get invoices. How tucking hard is it to put a doc file on blackboard and time submissions. #nulsfail

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:11 pm

What's the best way to connect with a screener interviewer that is in the practice group you aren't looking at i.e. corporate when you want lit or vice versa?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Pretty goddamn funny that this all happened the same day we get invoices. How tucking hard is it to put a doc file on blackboard and time submissions. #nulsfail

Apparently it's pretty tucking hard. I can understand the Kirkland thing (kind of, bu I don't understand why OCS didn't do anything about it even though they knew for awhile), but the exam issue blows my mind.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Flips88 wrote:What's the best way to connect with a screener interviewer that is in the practice group you aren't looking at i.e. corporate when you want lit or vice versa?

Feign ambivalence ("leaning towards lit but looking to try everything during the summer.")

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:24 am

rayiner wrote:
Flips88 wrote:What's the best way to connect with a screener interviewer that is in the practice group you aren't looking at i.e. corporate when you want lit or vice versa?

Feign ambivalence ("leaning towards lit but looking to try everything during the summer.")

I would be cautious about taking this approach; while a lot of students are indeed ambivalent and interviewers expect it, I think there is something to be said for knowing what you want and expressing it in an interview (some interviewers could be less than impressed by your wishy-washy response). Screener attnys know that, assuming students split somewhat proportionally lit/trans, they will be interviewing a lot of people who do not want to do their work whatsoever. I always found it to be easy to focus such an interview on the thing you have in common: what is attractive to you about the firm and why it would be a good fit for you. That can easily fill 20 mins alone. Otherwise...talk football (I kid...)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:02 pm

About buying books: Would people recommend buying all the required and recommended books, or just getting the required ones before class starts and then getting the recommended ones later if they look useful?

Also, which supplements did people find useful/essential?

If it makes a difference, I'm in section 1:
CivPro - Redish
Contracts - Bennett
Crim - Nadler
Torts - Murphey
CLR - Narko

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:About buying books: Would people recommend buying all the required and recommended books, or just getting the required ones before class starts and then getting the recommended ones later if they look useful?

CivPro - Redish
Contracts - Bennett
Crim - Nadler
Torts - Murphey
CLR - Narko

Don't use any supp for Redish. His views aren't exactly mainstream BLL. I can send an outline if you need one, but I'm sure you can find like 15 better ones.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 am

rinkrat19 wrote:About buying books: Would people recommend buying all the required and recommended books, or just getting the required ones before class starts and then getting the recommended ones later if they look useful?

CivPro - Redish
Contracts - Bennett
Crim - Nadler
Torts - Murphey
CLR - Narko

No amount of supps are going to help you with Narko. I had a different Crim prof but I found Dressler's crim supplement to be really good.
Last edited by Georgia Avenue on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:

CivPro - Redish
Contracts - Bennett
Crim - Nadler
Torts - Murphey
CLR - Narko

Not amount of supps are going to help you with Narko. I had a different Crim prof but I found Dressler's crim supplement to be really good.

+1, Narko is no fun (but if it helps, I hear all the CLR sections have their different suck factors).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

CivPro - Redish
Contracts - Bennett
Crim - Nadler
Torts - Murphey
CLR - Narko

Not amount of supps are going to help you with Narko. I had a different Crim prof but I found Dressler's crim supplement to be really good.

+1, Narko is no fun (but if it helps, I hear all the CLR sections have their different suck factors).
What exactly about Narko makes her no fun? Hard tests? Class not preparing you for the tests? Boring class? Mean instructor?

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Positive: she can improve your writing very, very quickly. Absolutely knows her stuff.
Negative: the positive only applies if you can actually figure out what she wants from you. Can be a very harsh and arbitrary grader. Class itself is completely worthless.

fwiw, CLR does not have tests. You will have 4-5 assignments due throughout the semester. These will take all your time when they're due and cause you ridiculous amounts of stress. You will dislike CLR.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Positive: she can improve your writing very, very quickly. Absolutely knows her stuff.
Negative: the positive only applies if you can actually figure out what she wants from you. Can be a very harsh and arbitrary grader. Class itself is completely worthless.

fwiw, CLR does not have tests. You will have 4-5 assignments due throughout the semester. These will take all your time when they're due and cause you ridiculous amounts of stress. You will dislike CLR.

I think this applies to every CLR prof.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Positive: she can improve your writing very, very quickly. Absolutely knows her stuff.

Well, this all sounds wonderful. :|

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:16 pm

homestyle28 wrote:+1, Narko is no fun (but if it helps, I hear all the CLR sections have their different suck factors).

Prof McMasters was an absolute delight.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”