Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Samara wrote:Does NU have a 1L OCI in the spring or is that not a thing ITE? If so, are any of the positions paid? If you want a paid 1L summer job, is it simply a matter of mass mailing the crap out of firms and crossing your fingers?

I read vanwinkle's guide, but I'm still unclear on several aspects of the mechanics. It sounds like OCS isn't allowed to talk to you about it until November and I would prefer to not to be trying to figure this all out during the final weeks of class.

Not many firms come, and almost nobody gets a jerb from it.

Unless you are black, Mexican, or IP with a decent tech background I'd recommend mass mailing when finals end.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Samara wrote:Does NU have a 1L OCI in the spring or is that not a thing ITE? If so, are any of the positions paid? If you want a paid 1L summer job, is it simply a matter of mass mailing the crap out of firms and crossing your fingers?

I read vanwinkle's guide, but I'm still unclear on several aspects of the mechanics. It sounds like OCS isn't allowed to talk to you about it until November and I would prefer to not to be trying to figure this all out during the final weeks of class.

Unless you are black, Mexican, or IP with a decent tech background I'd recommend mass mailing when finals end.

I am none of those things, so mass mailing it is. Thanks!

Is the procedure the same as it is for 2L SA mass mailing? Should I only mass mail firms that indicate Yes or TBD for 1L hiring on their NALP form or website? r6_philly mentioned that some firms he contacted for 1L hiring contacted him before 2L OCI for an interview, but I don't want firms thinking I'm too dumb to read their NALP form/website.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Samara wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I am none of those things, so mass mailing it is. Thanks!

Is the procedure the same as it is for 2L SA mass mailing? Should I only mass mail firms that indicate Yes or TBD for 1L hiring on their NALP form or website? r6_philly mentioned that some firms he contacted for 1L hiring contacted him before 2L OCI for an interview, but I don't want firms thinking I'm too dumb to read their NALP form/website.

There is a little more to it than that. There were probably 15 employers who came to 1L OCI. There was a mix of law firms and corporate employers. I think they all paid, but the range was anywhere from minimum wage to a full prorated SA salary. You really only get an opportunity to interview with 1 or maybe 2 law firms, and the corporate employers get to do pre-selects so they are hit or miss for many people (i don't know anyone who swept the pre-selects).

A decent number of firms also have resume drops posted on symplicity, although most are diversity positions or IP. I also know a few people who got interviews/jobs at large firms through mass mailing.

I got my summer gig through 1L OCI and am not URM or IP. You can PM me if you have a specific question.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I don't mean don't do oci unless those things. I mean mass mail after finals instead of Dec 1, which is annoying because it's right before finals.

I meant don't rely on oci. Still do it, but it's in Feb or march and you should be looking before that.

Apply for fed gov when you can also. I regret not doing that.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Seems like 1L OCI is a good chance to practice for 2L OCI, too. Especially the interviewing. Am I off base there?

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Seems like 1L OCI is a good chance to practice for 2L OCI, too. Especially the interviewing. Am I off base there?

I agree. It is good practice, especially if you've never done interviews before. I didn't get a SA through the 1L OCI but I got good practice doing the screener and the callback.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:13 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Seems like 1L OCI is a good chance to practice for 2L OCI, too. Especially the interviewing. Am I off base there?

I only got one interview off of it and it was with a boutique firm that has 2 summer spots I think. I also didn't really know what I was doing with firm interviews at the time. I guess it helped me know what kind of questions I might face now, but overall it was a one time experience so not much to go off of.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Where around Chicago do students commonly live while attending NU?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 pm

How do y'all feel about D-Rod hiring his wife to "consult" while we operate with a man down in OCS?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:24 pm

rayiner wrote:How do y'all feel about D-Rod hiring his wife to "consult" while we operate with a man down in OCS?

Conflict of interest? As an alumni, am I afforded the opportunity to "consult" with his wife?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:31 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
rayiner wrote:How do y'all feel about D-Rod hiring his wife to "consult" while we operate with a man down in OCS?

Conflict of interest? As an alumni, am I afforded the opportunity to "consult" with his wife?

I'm actually okay with the nepotism. My problem is with how stupid the job description is. At least hire her for something useful like proof reading resumes for OCI, not some obviously bullshit position.

Leslie Oster has come aboard as a consultant to the new Office of Academic Initiatives, headed up by Associate Dean Emerson Tiller.  She will work with Emerson, with others at the Law School and on the University campus, and with various external organizations and stakeholders, on emerging initiatives and programs including, for example, joint degrees, cross-campus and inter-university partnerships, distance education, and implementation of projects growing out of our strategic planning process.  A Berkeley law graduate, Leslie comes to Northwestern with vast experience in legal education, including service as dean of students at UC Berkeley’s law school, director of the Lawyering Skills program at the University of San Diego School of Law and, most recently, as assistant dean for strategic planning at the University of Texas-Austin School of Law.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 pm

I enjoy that despite paying $53,000 a year in tuition, I have to pay $5 for them to print me a transcript.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:I enjoy that despite paying $53,000 a year in tuition, I have to pay $5 for them to print me a transcript.

I owe them like 15 bucks. They can sue me.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I enjoy that despite paying $53,000 a year in tuition, I have to pay $5 for them to print me a transcript.

When per-student spending is part of the USNWR ranking criteria, I don't understand why they fuck us every chance they get.

But no, definitely spend that money on "consultants" for academic programming. Fuckwads.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Oh transcripts, do we need them official for OCI?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Pokemon wrote:Oh transcripts, do we need them official for OCI?

Make copies of an original (so it looks pretty and isn't a 5 page printout), but no employers that I know of require originals at OCI.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:35 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

When per-student spending is part of the USNWR ranking criteria, I don't understand why they fuck us every chance they get.

But no, definitely spend that money on "consultants" for academic programming. Fuckwads.

As far as I am concerned, every penny spent on Cliff's salary in lieu of free printing, free transcripts, and free just about anything else is a waste of money.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:57 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

As far as I am concerned, every penny spent on Cliff's salary in lieu of free printing, free transcripts, and free just about anything else is a waste of money.

+1.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 pm

so, i've started looking at textbooks, and apparently a few of them are brand new editions (as in, spring/summer of 2012). i was kind of hoping not to pay more than $200 a book, if possible. are the previous editions different enough to create any problems?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 pm

tdicks wrote:so, i've started looking at textbooks, and apparently a few of them are brand new editions (as in, spring/summer of 2012). i was kind of hoping not to pay more than $200 a book, if possible. are the previous editions different enough to create any problems?

During my 1L year, I used prior editions for both Con Law, Civil Procedure, Contracts, and Torts (as the cases discussed really didn't change all that much from year to year). I probably paid less than $150 for books (I probably spent more on supplements). However, it eventually became a real hassle as I always had to check with friends at the beginning of each week to ensure that I was reading the correct cases when only pages numbers (for the newest edition) were given.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm

tdicks wrote:so, i've started looking at textbooks, and apparently a few of them are brand new editions (as in, spring/summer of 2012). i was kind of hoping not to pay more than $200 a book, if possible. are the previous editions different enough to create any problems?

It depends, but most likely not different enough. In fact, I had a class second semester in which the professor assigned the new edition, but the edition she brought to class herself was an old one. If possible, wait until people have their books and you have the syllabus and try and compare (amazon often times will provide the tables of contents) to see how different the editions are.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:38 pm

Can D-Rod's wife consult on how not to screw up the single most important firm relationship Northwestern has, by botching their OCI schedule?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:42 pm

rayiner wrote:Can D-Rod's wife consult on how not to screw up the single most important firm relationship Northwestern has, by botching their OCI schedule?

I would not have thought this (would've thought Sidley), but I guess they do hire the most SAs. You gotta think someone somewhere was supposed to confirm the # of slots, I know people were talking about so I would have thought that OCS was aware that it was a huge number.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Do loans disburse earlier for 2L/3L year or same time?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 pm

rayiner wrote:Can D-Rod's wife consult on how not to screw up the single most important firm relationship Northwestern has, by botching their OCI schedule?

How does that even happen? How does someone see 80 spots and decide to allocate 160? Once done, and talked about, did noone see 160 and think "man, that's high?"

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”