Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Samara wrote:Oak Park may also be the best suburb of Chicago. What a great area.

Word.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Followup to Genie: Do you find yourself using all the veggies, or do you throw a lot away? I'm trying to gauge how much produce I'll need if I'm just living on my own. It's been so long since I've bought groceries for 1 person that it's hard to figure out whether some of the CSAs are worth it :oops:

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Followup to Genie: Do you find yourself using all the veggies, or do you throw a lot away? I'm trying to gauge how much produce I'll need if I'm just living on my own. It's been so long since I've bought groceries for 1 person that it's hard to figure out whether some of the CSAs are worth it :oops:

I liked because the normal share (I think it's called a 1/2, but it's the smaller) is good for one person. Sometimes you have to prioritize what do eat (like ripe fruit and leafy things first, then root veggies), but if I'm cooking at home I go through it just fine and usually have to supplement. It's enough for dinners for one for 5-6 meals with a few leftovers. I'd buy extra lettuce for sandwiches or salads for lunch. I really liked it!

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Followup to Genie: Do you find yourself using all the veggies, or do you throw a lot away? I'm trying to gauge how much produce I'll need if I'm just living on my own. It's been so long since I've bought groceries for 1 person that it's hard to figure out whether some of the CSAs are worth it :oops:

on average.. CSAs are meant for a family of four! I shared my subscription by alternating weeks and it was still tough to finish everything.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

I liked because the normal share (I think it's called a 1/2, but it's the smaller) is good for one person. Sometimes you have to prioritize what do eat (like ripe fruit and leafy things first, then root veggies), but if I'm cooking at home I go through it just fine and usually have to supplement. It's enough for dinners for one for 5-6 meals with a few leftovers. I'd buy extra lettuce for sandwiches or salads for lunch. I really liked it!

And it's like $17/week for the half share, right? That sounds pretty legit to me, price-wise, esp for local/organic produce. I looked it up and the one you do is about a 10-15 minute bus ride from my apartment complex, which is definitely doable for pickups.
splitsplat wrote:on average.. CSAs are meant for a family of four! I shared my subscription by alternating weeks and it was still tough to finish everything.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. The one Genie is talking about says this on the website though:
A single share is roughly enough to feed two adults for 3-4 meals.

Which I would assume is about enough to feed me for a week??

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

How much of it is kale and chard? There is only so much chard I can force down.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:07 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote: unless it was either really funny or they did something way out of the ordinary (like continue to snack and basically ignore the professor until he moved on).

I would like more details...

I guarantee you know who that person is. Everyone does.

Edit: He was even referenced in the Follies.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote: unless it was either really funny or they did something way out of the ordinary (like continue to snack and basically ignore the professor until he moved on).

Our favorite shitty jokes list serv spammer?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Our favorite shitty jokes list serv spammer?

Perhaps.

Edit: TMI

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

How much of it is kale and chard? There is only so much chard I can force down.

So I had the winter share and now the summer share. In the winter, they're not all local (obviously). Sample weeks:
-Pears (USA), Navel Oranges (USA), Celery Hearts (MEX), Romaine (USA), Collard Greens (USA), Oriental Sweet Potatoes (USA)
-Pinata Apples (USA), Mango (MEX), Lacinato Kale (USA), Turnips with Greens (USA), Green Onions (MEX), Petite Heirloom Lettuces (USA)
-Blood Oranges (USA), Mango (MEX), Dandelion Greens (USA), Broccoli (USA), Carrots (USA), Cherry Tomatoes (MEX)

Summer share has more variety. Sample weeks:
-Oregano (Genesis Growers, IL), Portobello Mushrooms (River Valley Ranch, WI), Micro Greens (Three Sisters Gardens, IL), Popcorn (Three Sisters Gardens, IL), Honeycrisp Apples (Mick Klug Farm, MI), Rhubarb (Mick Klug Farm, MI)
-Blueberries (Seedling), Plums (Seedling), Spanish Onion (Nichols), Patty Pan Squash (Nichols), Cantaloupe (Genesis Growers), Sweet Corn (Genesis Growers)

The other nice thing about mine is they include recipes every week, so you always have a different way to cook it, even if you get kale three weeks in a row.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:30 am

Also, they do deliver for a pretty low fee, so if two or more of you end up going for it and live close together, get a double/full share (it's cheaper than two singles) and split the $7 delivery fee to one of your apts.

scorthel2

Postby scorthel2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Is transferring to NU worth it if I pay virtually nothing to go to CRWU? Any transfers with opinions on the matter, its almost time for me to drop one or get off.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

scorthel2 wrote:Is transferring to NU worth it if I pay virtually nothing to go to CRWU? Any transfers with opinions on the matter, its almost time for me to drop one or get off.

What is CRWU.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:07 pm

bjsesq wrote:
scorthel2 wrote:Is transferring to NU worth it if I pay virtually nothing to go to CRWU? Any transfers with opinions on the matter, its almost time for me to drop one or get off.

What is CRWU.

Climate Ready Water Utilities = poster is fish/man hybrid.

Fabulist

Postby Fabulist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:16 pm

bjsesq wrote:What is CRWU.

Case Reserve Western University, of course.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Almost for free at Case Western? What are your grades, what are your goals, and what does case western's placement numbers look like?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Is it stupid to take Admin and Tax in the same term?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Is it stupid to take Admin and Tax in the same term?

admin isn't that bad conceptually.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:01 pm

I doubt it. You'll get a firm anyway right? Why pay 115 thousand dollars to maybe get a slightly better firm.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes! Even if it doesn't make a noticeable difference come OCI, NU will give you a lot more flexibility down the road when you are looking to lateral ... you will greatly enhance your portability. Sadly, many people outside of Ohio and the Midwest have never heard of CRWU.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:14 pm

You can take at least 2 and maybe 3 doctrinal classes pretty easily (I mean, you did it all 1L year, right?). You start getting into trouble if you want to take 3 or 4 difficult doctrinal classes at once (e.g., Fed Jur, Evidence, Antitrust, and Sec Reg). Don't do that.

Fabulist

Postby Fabulist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Wait, I was joking, is CRWU an actual thing? I thought it was Case Western Reserve.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm

D-hops wrote:

You can take at least 2 and maybe 3 doctrinal classes pretty easily (I mean, you did it all 1L year, right?). You start getting into trouble if you want to take 3 or 4 difficult doctrinal classes at once (e.g., Fed Jur, Evidence, Antitrust, and Sec Reg). Don't do that.

Eh, it's doable. :P

(But no, don't do it.)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Admin's a new prof which means he/she could suck (or might not). I also think it matters whether the classes are curved or uncurved.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:05 am

bk1 wrote:

Admin's a new prof which means he/she could suck (or might not). I also think it matters whether the classes are curved or uncurved.

Current plan is to bid on them, see if they'll be curved, and go from there.

Also, I posted in the UVA thread about the new prof, and the one rxn was very positive.

Thanks, oldsters!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”