Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:03 pm

I LOVE North Avenue Animal hospital in Wicker Park, and I've never noticed it being too expensive, but it might be a bit far. All of the doctors there are amazing, though, I'm pretty sure they once saved my baby's life.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I LOVE North Avenue Animal hospital in Wicker Park, and I've never noticed it being too expensive, but it might be a bit far. All of the doctors there are amazing, though, I'm pretty sure they once saved my baby's life.

+1 - I think its probably worth the few extra $ in cab fare for the occasional vet trip

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:16 pm

bdubs wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I LOVE North Avenue Animal hospital in Wicker Park, and I've never noticed it being too expensive, but it might be a bit far. All of the doctors there are amazing, though, I'm pretty sure they once saved my baby's life.

+1 - I think its probably worth the few extra $ in cab fare for the occasional vet trip
Cool, thanks, guys.

And you're right, a cab is probably worth it in this case.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:19 pm

bdubs wrote:

Thanks for this recommendation. Will also need a vet.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Question: Are there good and affordable ramen/pho places within 10 minutes walking/bus of the law school?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:13 pm

splitsplat wrote:Question: Are there good and affordable ramen/pho places within 10 minutes walking/bus of the law school?

relevant to my interests

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
splitsplat wrote:Question: Are there good and affordable ramen/pho places within 10 minutes walking/bus of the law school?

relevant to my interests

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Can anyone tell me what this extra $1800 for Summer Federal Work Study savings is on my FinAid award?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:Can anyone tell me what this extra $1800 for Summer Federal Work Study savings is on my FinAid award?

You got your finaid award already?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Can anyone tell me what this extra $1800 for Summer Federal Work Study savings is on my FinAid award?

mine is up on ceasar as well... to accept/decline not to actually get any cash

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Icculus wrote:

I got the email about an hour ago about being able to accept it. There's this rando $1800 i can't decline, but isn't classified as a loan. It must have something to do with SFPIF or with working for the federal gov for the summer. I dunno.

Either way, COA is $77,628... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I got the email about an hour ago about being able to accept it. There's this rando $1800 i can't decline, but isn't classified as a loan. It must have something to do with SFPIF or with working for the federal gov for the summer. I dunno.

Either way, COA is $77,628... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well fuck, I have no email, no caesar info, and I really didn't need to be reminded of COA...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Does anyone know if ITA ends up curved? The availability on caesar says 96, but it looks like in years past it gets broken up into 3 or 4 smaller sections of 25-30 people. Anyone know the story?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:Does anyone know if ITA ends up curved? The availability on caesar says 96, but it looks like in years past it gets broken up into 3 or 4 smaller sections of 25-30 people. Anyone know the story?

ITA is the only large class not subject to the curve. That said, I'm not sure that makes a difference.

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Does anyone know if ITA ends up curved? The availability on caesar says 96, but it looks like in years past it gets broken up into 3 or 4 smaller sections of 25-30 people. Anyone know the story?

ITA is the only large class not subject to the curve. That said, I'm not sure that makes a difference.

What do you mean? Pretty wide distribution?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
rayiner wrote:

What do you mean? Pretty wide distribution?

The upshot of a curve is it forces high grades on top of lower grades. Without a curve a prof does not need to grade in the A/A+ range unless he/she wants to so there may be more B/B+ grades thus the lack of a curve doesn't really help.

ETA: This is why many rising 3Ls have told me it's not the lack of curve but the prof who makes the difference.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Ok, so any opinions on the class experience/grade friendliness of the following profs for classes:
Hiliker for Ethics
Provezano for Employment Discrim
Tax with Cameron
Copyright with DiCola

TYIA

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:Ok, so any opinions on the class experience/grade friendliness of the following profs for classes:
Hiliker for Ethics
Tax with Cameron
Copyright with DiCola

TYIA

Having had them I can attest that Cameron is not grade friendly. He gave a few discretionary Cs in property and I doubt he is friendlier in an uncurved class. My guess is he is a prof that helps to have a curve. I heard he actually told A+ students they didn't really earn it but he had to give it som someone. That said, I loved his class.

I had DiCola in Torts, no idea how he'd be in an uncurved class but in Torts he was very engaging, humorous, and fair. And from talking to him copyright is his bread and butter, he adores it and if you google him you can find articles he's written about the music industry and his ideas for it. I also think he's a closet hipster.

Edit: atrocious grammar.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:00 am

So should I be worried about the lack of finaid info?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 am

Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Ok, so any opinions on the class experience/grade friendliness of the following profs for classes:
Hiliker for Ethics
Tax with Cameron
Copyright with DiCola

TYIA

Having had them I can attest that Cameron is not grade friendly. He gave a few discretionary Cs in property and I doubt he is friendlier in an uncurved class. My guess is he is a prof that helps to have a curve. I heard he actually told A+ students they didn't really earn it but he had to give it som someone. That said, I loved his class.

I had DiCola in Torts, no idea how he'd be in an uncurved class but in Torts he was very engaging, humorous, and fair. And from talking to him copyright is his bread and butter, he adores it and if you google him you can find articles he's written about the music industry and his ideas for it. I also think he's a closet hipster.

Another thing about DiCola...he teaches his class very similarly to an undergrad lecture. Power points with headings subheadings etc. so the organization and what you need to know is very available. He does call on people but doesn't grill at all and will give you the answers if you don't know so he can get on with his lecture. He does pay attention to whether or not you have done the reading and seems to genuinely appreciate participation and disdain the lack thereof so I imaginein an uncurved class that he would help people out who are active in the class.

I do not think Cameron would be fun in an uncurved class. At all.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 am

Icculus wrote:So should I be worried about the lack of finaid info?

Think the email yesterday said theyd be rolling them out over the week so I wouldn't worry yet.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:04 am

splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Hiliker for Ethics
Tax with Cameron
Copyright with DiCola

TYIA

Another thing about DiCola...he teaches his class very similarly to an undergrad lecture. Power points with headings subheadings etc. so the organization and what you need to know is very available. He does call on people but doesn't grill at all and will give you the answers if you don't know so he can get on with his lecture. He does pay attention to whether or not you have done the reading and seems to genuinely appreciate participation and disdain the lack thereof so I imaginein an uncurved class that he would help people out who are active in the class.

+1. And he even if you haven't read he still appreciates it if you can give your opinion on what may happen given what you know, what he hates is simply saying I don't know or trying to avoid enough so that he moves on.

His power points are awesome, probably my favorite part if his class. If anyone has him for torts, just agree that a doctor should not slap/push a nurse....right splitmuch?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:07 am

Icculus wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Hiliker for Ethics
Tax with Cameron
Copyright with DiCola

TYIA

+1. And he even if you haven't read he still appreciates it if you can give your opinion on what may happen given what you know, what he hates is simply saying I don't know or trying to avoid enough so that he moves on.

His power points are awesome, probably my favorite part if his class. If anyone has him for torts, just agree that a doctor should not slap/push a nurse....right splitmuch?

Hahaha, the beginning of the "bad rap." For the record, my issue was with 90,000 dollar punitive damages for a 1 dollar compensatory damage slap of a nurse's arm.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 am

splitmuch wrote: Hahaha, the beginning of the "bad rap." For the record, my issue was with 90,000 dollar punitive damages for a 1 dollar compensatory damage slap of a nurse's arm.

I think I was the only person in class who actually saw your point and agreed with it. Even when I read the case I was like, WTF?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 am

Icculus wrote:
splitmuch wrote: Hahaha, the beginning of the "bad rap." For the record, my issue was with 90,000 dollar punitive damages for a 1 dollar compensatory damage slap of a nurse's arm.

I think I was the only person in class who actually saw your point and agreed with it. Even when I read the case I was like, WTF?

Enough of a thread derail. Back on track, you are not the only person who has not yet received finaid.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”