Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CreativityKing

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby CreativityKing » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:35 am

Looks like journal offers are going to start coming out today, per Cliff. Earlier than I expected.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Does this also mean that we won't get the list of classes (for non-1L's) for fall semester until right before school starts?

That's what I've heard. The ppt said early July, but a 3L told me it's more like the last week.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:27 am

CreativityKing wrote:Looks like journal offers are going to start coming out today, per Cliff. Earlier than I expected.

Only for NULR though, right? Any idea about the other journals?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
CreativityKing wrote:Looks like journal offers are going to start coming out today, per Cliff. Earlier than I expected.

Only for NULR though, right? Any idea about the other journals?

Pretty sure we all got the same email. My guess is it will "extend over several weeks"

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:43 am

Not earlier than expected if you'd read my post ITT.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:46 am

Oops, yeah, I just saw that e-mail. I hope this is done sooner rather than later.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 am

IAFG wrote:

If they start calling before 5pm I will never believe a thing you say again!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:13 am

homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Pretty sure the people making the calls have jobs...

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 am

D-hops wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Pretty sure the people making the calls have jobs...

I thought LR was a jobless suckhole, no?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm

1L: Cliff cares a lot and doesn't want to stress you out or hurt your fee fees
Post-1L: "Hey, I'll send this stressful email at 7:30 a.m. and make one word in blue for fun."

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Can anyone shed some light on the Bluhm Legal Clinic? From my research of clinicals in the T14, it seems super super impressive in comparison to its counterparts.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Flips88 wrote:1L:Cliff cares a lot and doesn't want to stress you out or hurt your fee fees Pretends to actually care and wants to be your friend.
Post-1L:"Hey, I'll send this stressful email at 7:30 a.m. and make one word in blue for fun." Comes clean he really doesn't care

Honestly, today and the next several weeks are going to suck. Every time my phone has rung today I get that stressed out pit in my stomach feeling, thinking "Ooh, is this it, did they pick me?" It feel like I'm in high school waiting for the girl I asked out to call me back.

Edit: Spelling

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Icculus wrote:
Flips88 wrote:1L:Cliff cares a lot and doesn't want to stress you out or hurt your fee fees Pretends to actually care and wants to be your friend.
Post-1L:"Hey, I'll send this stressful email at 7:30 a.m. and make one word in blue for fun." Comes clean he really doesn't care

Honestly, today and the next several weeks are going to suck. Every time my phone has rung today I get that stressed out pit in my stomach feeling, thinking "Ooh, is this it, did they pick me?" It feel like I'm in high school waiting for the girl I asked out to call me back.

Spoiler: she never calls. Slut.

I might be projecting from my own experiences

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:56 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Spoiler: she never calls. Slut.

I might be projecting from my own experiences

Fucking bitch, I knew it. I feel like this is going to be the same way, I'll just keep staring at the phone, waiting for a call that will never come. Forever Alone.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Fucking bitch, I knew it. I feel like this is going to be the same way, I'll just keep staring at the phone, waiting for a call that will never come. Forever Alone.

You've got me friend. I stayed up all night working for that girl, too and yet, I always knew this is how it would end up, w/me having to settle for her homely friend who only wants to talk about social policy or human rights.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:07 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

You've got me friend. I stayed up all night working for that girl, too and yet, I always knew this is how it would end up, w/me having to settle for her homely friend who only wants to talk about social policy or human rights.

i bet she at least gives handies.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm

is the prestige of being on a secondary journal worth the work you put into it? Secondary journals are just as big a time commitment as LR, right?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

i bet she at least gives handies.

What's the point when you can do them better yourself? But hey, at least she's happy to be there.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:is the prestige of being on a secondary journal worth the work you put into it? Secondary journals are just as big a time commitment as LR, right?

Depends on the secondary.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:is the prestige of being on a secondary journal worth the work you put into it? Secondary journals are just as big a time commitment as LR, right?

From what I can see on symplicity most firms want you to have some journal experience, though once your past law review I think they all look the same. I was advised that if I made LR to take it and then as my second choice put something I was interested in that was the least amount of work, so I asked around.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Icculus wrote:

From what I can see on symplicity most firms want you to have some journal experience, though once your past law review I think they all look the same. I was advised that if I made LR to take it and then as my second choice put something I was interested in that was the least amount of work, so I asked around.

You need to have some extra-curricular. A journal isn't necessary. I went without it, as did one other person I know, and we did fine.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:20 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:

You need to have some extra-curricular. A journal isn't necessary. I went without it, as did one other person I know, and we did fine.

Well yes, and had I made trial team I doubt I would be as concerned. IT WAS A FIX!

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Icculus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Well yes, and had I made trial team I doubt I would be as concerned. IT WAS A FIX!

*hangs head

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:25 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Can you be more specific? Or can you PM me?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:26 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Can you be more specific? Or can you PM me?

Second hand info:

JCLC: prepare your anus.
JILB: not so bad
JLSP and Just the tip: no idea. I have heard the tip isn't too rough.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”