Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Eugenie Danglars

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:04 am

Icculus wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Say I want to go abroad and get NU to pay for it. Options?

Hey Eugenie, not sure if NU will pay but you should start looking here:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/studyabroad/

cool, thanks. I think maybe ITP is better for me- I don't want to be gone all that long. Is ITP free?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:15 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Say I want to go abroad and get NU to pay for it. Options?

cool, thanks. I think maybe ITP is better for me- I don't want to be gone all that long. Is ITP free?

No, it's $3k+, but they'll give you extra loans.

The only person I know of who got NU to pay for their travel was someone traveling with the clinic. Where'd you get the idea the school would pay for your study abroad?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:23 am

IAFG wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Icculus wrote:

No, it's $3k+, but they'll give you extra loans.

The only person I know of who got NU to pay for their travel was someone traveling with the clinic. Where'd you get the idea the school would pay for your study abroad?

While NU will not "pay" for you to study abroad, I don't believe that studying abroad will result in any additional tuition, if that is what you are referring to. Interestingly, tuition charged at most foreign law schools is significantly less than the tuition charged by NU. You don't catch a break, however. You will still pay NU and NU will pay the other school/program. You don't catch a break in that respect.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:32 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Icculus wrote:

That's been my thought from the beginning. While I would like to go somewhere I don't want to be away too long, and ITP seems like fun. Hopefully we can get a replay of the ITP Brazil email exchange. I'm partial to any opportunity to listen to the Venga Boys.

And having now been at NU for a whole year, what on earth made you think the law school would loosen the purse strings for you to travel? I mean I have to pay a $50 fee just to take Negotiation b/c the material is copyrighted somewhere else.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:11 am

NU paid for a couple of students to be research assistants in Africa over spring break this year.

I'm thinking that was the exception instead of the rule though.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:11 am

Oh, I dunno. I didn't expect it to be covered really, but it was worth a shot. Also, no tuition for summer classes. That's a pleasant surprise.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:48 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:NU paid for a couple of students to be research assistants in Africa over spring break this year.

One group of RAs, one group of people from a class, and two groups of students from clinics traveled abroad on the school's dime this spring break. You don't get extra credits for this like you would for ITP, but it's also almost entirely reimbursed by the school.

I also had no idea until they sent out an email to the whole school that we had an international arbitration team that got to go to Geneva. Hell, I would have done that!

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:NU paid for a couple of students to be research assistants in Africa over spring break this year.

One group of RAs, one group of people from a class, and two groups of students from clinics traveled abroad on the school's dime this spring break. You don't get extra credits for this like you would for ITP, but it's also almost entirely reimbursed by the school.

I also had no idea until they sent out an email to the whole school that we had an international arbitration team that got to go to Geneva. Hell, I would have done that!

You've been exceptionally busy with all that stuff. In related news: I've been slaying internet dragons. I think you win.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 am

rayiner wrote:You can write it in this Google Doc. It's anonymous (even to me) as long as you aren't logged into GMail.

https://docs.google.com/a/nlaw.northwes ... 3I2As/edit

Fitting a normal distribution to this year's honors data, I'm going to guess Coif was 3.90 on the dot.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Yeah, the international arbitration thing would have been sweet.

I'm not sure if the group of RAs were the same as the ones I'm thinking of, but from what I heard it wasn't a situation where they got to go because they were RAs, but a situation where they were made RAs to get to go free after their ITP failed to get enough support.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:23 pm

monstermasher wrote:https://www.law.northwestern.edu/registrar/private/honors_list.pdf

I'm an incoming 1L. Am I supposed to be able to access this page? It errors out on my un/pw that I use for CAESAR.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
monstermasher wrote:https://www.law.northwestern.edu/registrar/private/honors_list.pdf

I'm an incoming 1L. Am I supposed to be able to access this page? It errors out on my un/pw that I use for CAESAR.

Yeah, you are probably not authorized. It is a list of people who achieved Coif, Magna, and Cum Laude (as well as some LLM Honors). I haven't (and probably won't) count how many people are Cum Laude, but there are 14 Magna.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Oh, I dunno. I didn't expect it to be covered really, but it was worth a shot. Also, no tuition for summer classes. That's a pleasant surprise.

Agreed, the no tuition was a very pleasant surprise. Now if the law school increased the number of open bars to match up with Kellogg, that would be a move in the right direction.

And maybe I shouldn't have used the word expect, but man would it be nice if they'd fund ITP or the abroad programs. The problem is I want to do ITP, but I figure for the cost I could probably go on spring break cheaper, but I guess it doesn't look as good on a resume. Decisions, decisions.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Icculus wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Oh, I dunno. I didn't expect it to be covered really, but it was worth a shot. Also, no tuition for summer classes. That's a pleasant surprise.

Agreed, the no tuition was a very pleasant surprise. Now if the law school increased the number of open bars to match up with Kellogg, that would be a move in the right direction.

And maybe I shouldn't have used the word expect, but man would it be nice if they'd fund ITP or the abroad programs. The problem is I want to do ITP, but I figure for the cost I could probably go on spring break cheaper, but I guess it doesn't look as good on a resume. Decisions, decisions.

They will give you loans to go on ITP, plus you actually get credit for it.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:37 pm

D-hops wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

Yeah, you are probably not authorized. It is a list of people who achieved Coif, Magna, and Cum Laude (as well as some LLM Honors). I haven't (and probably won't) count how many people are Cum Laude, but there are 14 Magna.

Looks to be about 130 Cum Laude (and no I did not count all of them , I just counted one page and multiplied) so does that mean over half the class ends up with some kind of Latin Honors?

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Icculus wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

Looks to be about 130 Cum Laude (and no I did not count all of them , I just counted one page and multiplied) so does that mean over half the class ends up with some kind of Latin Honors?

I think the entire graduating class including jd/mbas and transfers is right around 300 so, no.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Also, lol that a whoppingly disproportionate 4 of 14 magnas are not on the coif list and are therefore transfers.

attractive_NUisance

Postby attractive_NUisance » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:18 pm

I am surprised at the number of NULR people who didn't hit cum laude.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:52 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:I am surprised at the number of NULR people who didn't hit cum laude.

Yeah, I'm actually stunned at a few omissions in particular. Go figure...

I think one glaring omission is a phd candidate and maybe wasn't included for a reason related to that (e.g., maybe the person didn't actually accumulate all their law credits yet).

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Quickly adding the number for magna and cum laude, seems to hint that graduating median is above 3.55.
Last edited by Pokemon on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 pm

dru617 wrote:Also, lol that a whoppingly disproportionate 4 of 14 magnas are not on the coif list and are therefore transfers.

Eh, it wouldn't be very difficult for a lot of people to hit that mark if they subtracted out their 1L grades.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Last edited by Holly Golightly on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:06 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

You've been exceptionally busy with all that stuff. In related news: I've been slaying internet dragons. I think you win.

Well maybe someone should come out to happy hours that he's invited to instead of fighting Internet dragons!

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
dru617 wrote:Also, lol that a whoppingly disproportionate 4 of 14 magnas are not on the coif list and are therefore transfers.

Eh, it wouldn't be very difficult for a lot of people to hit that mark if they subtracted out their 1L grades.

I know. That was my unarticulated point. It's like winning a marathon after getting parachuted in at the front of the pack at the 20 mile mark.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”