Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flips88

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 am

Anyone know when financial aid award stuff shows up on Caesar? I'm applying for a new apartment and there's no info showing loans for next year except that I've filled out FAFSA and the NU form and I guess the CoA on the website.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey guys, I've been looking at some buildings in Streeterville and the steep prices and small spaces just make me sad. Would you guys mind posting/pming me the buildings you guys live in/have heard that people had good experiences with in nearby neighborhoods? I'm looking for a studio or a convertible and I would prefer to stay there for three years (so don't really want to opt for a super expensive studio first year with the aim of moving my second year). Thank you!

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:10 pm

FYI, for all the neurotics out there (it takes one to know one), my Dean's List thing posted sometime recently.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:49 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Hey guys, I've been looking at some buildings in Streeterville and the steep prices and small spaces just make me sad. Would you guys mind posting/pming me the buildings you guys live in/have heard that people had good experiences with in nearby neighborhoods? I'm looking for a studio or a convertible and I would prefer to stay there for three years (so don't really want to opt for a super expensive studio first year with the aim of moving my second year). Thank you!

If you want anything that isn't super expensive you gotta leave streeterville. Good luck finding anything below 1100 in Streeterville.

If you are the type who studies at home, there is zero reason to be Streeterville.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:13 am

banjo wrote:I guess this isn't Northwestern-specific, but do any employers ask for graduate school transcripts at OCI (like non-science master's work?). I know some ask for undergrad, but do any require that you send transcripts from all schools you've attended? Thanks!

IP aside, Cravath was the only firm that I remember asking for undergraduate transcripts.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 am

Icculus wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
IAFG wrote:So far I think D-Rod's a twat. And he doesn't seem too focused on proving me wrong either.

He doesn't seem to give a shit about what any students think. He's actually been downright dismissive of many. Sometimes it's funny, and sometimes he just comes across like a narcissistic douche. Most of the time, actually.

Add me to the list of people who think he should go fuck himself. And not in the fun way.

+1

+1. I am aware of at least one alumni event in a city with a very strong legal presence, but underrepresented by Northwestern grads, that he didn't even bother showing up for despite the fact that Northwestern advertised the event as a meet-and-greet with the Dean.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:22 am

chadwick218 wrote:
banjo wrote:I guess this isn't Northwestern-specific, but do any employers ask for graduate school transcripts at OCI (like non-science master's work?). I know some ask for undergrad, but do any require that you send transcripts from all schools you've attended? Thanks!

IP aside, Cravath was the only firm that I remember asking for undergraduate transcripts.

Do you generally report your UG GPA on your Resumes for OCI?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

No. But you can and probably should put latin honors and crap like that. It'll get the point across.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

At Northwestern, half the people are too ashamed to put UG GPA on their resumes.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:55 am

rayiner wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

At Northwestern, half the people are too ashamed to put UG GPA on their resumes.

:lol:

Exactly my motivation for asking.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:56 am

rayiner wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

I earned that B average at a sub-par state school and am determined people know about it!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

No. But you can and probably should put latin honors and crap like that. It'll get the point across.

I did, but you don't have to if it is not good.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:37 am

This is a stupid question, but what's the best way to format the unofficial transcript?

Simply copy-and-paste the text from Caesar into Word and keep it in Courier? It irritates me that it's on two pages and there are lots of unnecessary lines, and it's sort of hard to read. Can I just reformat/rewrite it entirely, or will it not look legitimate then?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:This is a stupid question, but what's the best way to format the unofficial transcript?

Simply copy-and-paste the text from Caesar into Word and keep it in Courier? It irritates me that it's on two pages and there are lots of unnecessary lines, and it's sort of hard to read. Can I just reformat/rewrite it entirely, or will it not look legitimate then?

I print it to PDF.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 pm

rayiner wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:This is a stupid question, but what's the best way to format the unofficial transcript?

I print it to PDF.

Is it safe to assume that, for OCI purposes, any firm requesting transcripts is fine with unofficial one?

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Bought tickets to Louis CK performing at the Chicago Symphony Center on 11/16 today. Then they released more shows, so I was able to get better seats to his show on 11/9.

Looking to sell my two tickets to the 11/16 8pm show for face value ($90 total). I know there is still a lot of time, but would anyone be interested in buying them?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I print it to PDF.

Is it safe to assume that, for OCI purposes, any firm requesting transcripts is fine with unofficial one?

I would get one official transcript and make copies of it. So, in that sense, yes, unofficial is ok, but don't go handing them a 3 page printout from ceasar. Give them a copy of the one-page thing you get from student services.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 pm

If anyone is looking for a bed, I'll have a full size mattress and box springs I'll be looking to get rid of come the start of August. I got it in mid-2009. I'll sell it for pretty cheap.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 pm

D-hops wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I print it to PDF.

I would get one official transcript and make copies of it. So, in that sense, yes, unofficial is ok, but don't go handing them a 3 page printout from ceasar. Give them a copy of the one-page thing you get from student services.

The real hard part here, apparently, is not leaving the original or any copies of your transcript on the copier machine glass in the library. I found no less than three of my classmates' 1L grades on and around that machine during OCI season. Unreal. And yeah, I looked. Couldn't help myself. Sue me.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Last edited by splitsplat on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

R1chardParker

Postby R1chardParker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:15 am

Are there any TLSer JD/Tax LLM students? I was wondering: if I decided to pursue the joint degree, is it possible to do the joint program in six semesters and still do the entrepreneurship clinic? Thanks in advance!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 am

ncterp wrote:Are there any TLSer JD/Tax LLM students? I was wondering: if I decided to pursue the joint degree, is it possible to do the joint program in six semesters and still do the entrepreneurship clinic? Thanks in advance!

Nayboer doesn't post on here anymore but he is doing the JD/Tax LLM and I believe he did the ELC as well. He actually joined the JD/Tax LLM after his first year. So long as you can spend your bid points on it (which shouldn't be a problem considering no one bids on tax courses save second semester 1L year), you should be able to do the ELC.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm

ncterp wrote:Are there any TLSer JD/Tax LLM students? I was wondering: if I decided to pursue the joint degree, is it possible to do the joint program in six semesters and still do the entrepreneurship clinic? Thanks in advance!

I completed the JD/LLM Tax Program in 6 semsters. I don't think that you will have any trouble finishing it in 6 semesters and still being able to do the entrepreneurship clinic. However, I did start taking the LLM classes during my 2L year. I believe that I had 8 hours that counted towards the LLM program after my 2L year. More than anything, this just created a lot more flexibility.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Say I want to go abroad and get NU to pay for it. Options?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Say I want to go abroad and get NU to pay for it. Options?

Hey Eugenie, not sure if NU will pay but you should start looking here:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/studyabroad/

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”