Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Has anyone visited/lived in/known anyone living in either 211 E Delaware or 25 E Delaware?

The websites make the buildings look really cool (duh), but most of the reviews I can find online aren't great--although there aren't many reviews and they're mostly dating 2006-2010. And of course there's some reluctance to risk a 'vintage' building. I think that management has changed and the buildings have been redone in the past year or two, but it's not quite clear.

They are both in a pretty good area. I don't live far from 25 E Delaware. I get a little bit of money to refer someone if you are interested. My wife and I have really liked our building. It's not fancy by any means, but it's relatively cheap for the area and the management is great (easy to work with, they don't bother the tenants, they are accommodating within reason, etc.).

I don't have personal knowledge of the two buildings that you mentioned though.
Can you PM me the name/location of where you are? I'll check it out online and if I ended up inquiring about it, I'd certainly tell them you referred me.

For anyone else curious, I got the square footages of the 211 Delaware units and they are TINY. 420sf, 400sf, and 380sf. Not happening!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Has anyone visited/lived in/known anyone living in either 211 E Delaware or 25 E Delaware?

The websites make the buildings look really cool (duh), but most of the reviews I can find online aren't great--although there aren't many reviews and they're mostly dating 2006-2010. And of course there's some reluctance to risk a 'vintage' building. I think that management has changed and the buildings have been redone in the past year or two, but it's not quite clear.

They are both in a pretty good area. I don't live far from 25 E Delaware. I get a little bit of money to refer someone if you are interested. My wife and I have really liked our building. It's not fancy by any means, but it's relatively cheap for the area and the management is great (easy to work with, they don't bother the tenants, they are accommodating within reason, etc.).

I don't have personal knowledge of the two buildings that you mentioned though.
Can you PM me the name/location of where you are? I'll check it out online and if I ended up inquiring about it, I'd certainly tell them you referred me.

For anyone else curious, I got the square footages of the 211 Delaware units and they are TINY. 420sf, 400sf, and 380sf. Not happening!

IIRC they're pretty damn cheap to match, though. For the neighborhood anyway.

I lived in 860 DeWitt and had a big unit.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:24 am

IAFG wrote:I lived in 860 DeWitt and had a big unit.

That's what he said?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
D-hops wrote:
rayiner wrote:Also, generally it's advisable to be normal. However, if you don't exude charisma and energy in your normal state ala D-Hopps, consider punching up the enthusiasm and intensity bit for OCI (without bordering on weirdly intense, of course).

Found this. To be fair, one morning during OCI, I was pretty much exuding alcohol out of my pores. Don't do that.

That was my favorite day of OCI!

D-hops (in a stage whisper):"Holly! I'm SO DRUNK!"

I like that he had to shave at school after an interview because he forgot didn't have time because he woke up literally 40 minutes before his scheduled interview and had to kick some dude out of his apartment and get ready.

FTFY

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 pm

This is neurotic, but has the Dean's List posted in CAESAR yet?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:46 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:This is neurotic, but has the Dean's List posted in CAESAR yet?

You mean on the unofficial transcripts? Yes.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:This is neurotic, but has the Dean's List posted in CAESAR yet?

Did you get over a 3.5? Then you're on it.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm

rayiner wrote:

They give Dean's List to 40% of the class? lol

dru617

Postby dru617 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:49 pm

In a related question, does anyone know when the honors list gets posted to the registrar's website?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Northwestern's grading scheme is highly optimized for placement. Compare with, e.g., Virginia:

Virginia has a LR with grade-on for the top 7%. So the LR credential and the 3.7+ credential is redundant--the same people have both. Northwestern has no grade-on spots. All spots are grades+writing. So there are top 25% folks with LR (not including pure write-ons), and top 5% folks with no LR. Top 5% is impressive by itself, and so is top 25% + LR. This creates a bigger pool of people with a credential that might get a firm to hire them.

Dean's list works the same way. Why make Dean's list something like top 10% and get a ton of overlap with LR and people who have GPA's that are impressive on their own? Making Dean's list more achievable devalues it for people who get it with top 20% grades, but those people don't need any extra help. On the other hand, it gives an extra boost to the 3.53's.

Even the top is highly optimized. UVA crams all their top people between 3.7 and 3.8. Northwestern spreads them out from 3.8 to 4.1+. They have coif to distinguish the top 10%, magna to distinguish the top 5%, JPS award to distinguish the valedictorian, and summa to distinguish the once-every-few-years top performer. This way firms or judges that are snobby about hiring from "merely top 10%" at NU can pick people within sub-groups as they desire, without being able to make arbitrary distinctions as they would on a pure ranking system.

DVZ would never do something like what they have at U Chi, where K&E Scholar and "high honors" are basically the same thing. It would be a total waste of a separate honors category in his eyes.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:04 pm

rayiner wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Northwestern's grading scheme is highly optimized for placement. Compare with, e.g., Virginia:

Virginia has a LR with grade-on for the top 7%. So the LR credential and the 3.7+ credential is redundant--the same people have both. Northwestern has no grade-on spots. All spots are grades+writing. So there are top 25% folks with LR (not including pure write-ons), and top 5% folks with no LR. Top 5% is impressive by itself, and so is top 25% + LR. This creates a bigger pool of people with a credential that might get a firm to hire them.

Dean's list works the same way. Why make Dean's list something like top 10% and get a ton of overlap with LR and people who have GPA's that are impressive on their own? Making Dean's list more achievable devalues it for people who get it with top 20% grades, but those people don't need any extra help. On the other hand, it gives an extra boost to the 3.53's.

Even the top is highly optimized. UVA crams all their top people between 3.7 and 3.8. Northwestern spreads them out from 3.8 to 4.1+. They have coif to distinguish the top 10%, magna to distinguish the top 5%, JPS award to distinguish the valedictorian, and summa to distinguish the once-every-few-years top performer. This way firms or judges that are snobby about hiring from "merely top 10%" at NU can pick people within sub-groups as they desire, without being able to make arbitrary distinctions as they would on a pure ranking system.

DVZ would never do something like what they have at U Chi, where K&E Scholar and "high honors" are basically the same thing. It would be a total waste of a separate honors category in his eyes.

I've always wondered why schools don't all do it this way.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Weird, I should have qualified and it hasn't shown up on CAESAR.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:32 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Weird, I should have qualified and it hasn't shown up on CAESAR.

It hasn't shown up for this semester yet.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:35 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Weird, I should have qualified and it hasn't shown up on CAESAR.

Is there somewhere else in Caesar besides the unofficial transcript you guys are looking.

It most definitely is on my unofficial transcript already. Maybe it's there early for grads?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:39 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Is there somewhere else in Caesar besides the unofficial transcript you guys are looking.

It most definitely is on my unofficial transcript already. Maybe it's there early for grads?

It must either be early for grads or there's some kind of glitch in the system for non-grads. My recollection is that it normally shows up instantly, but I could be completely making that up.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:04 am

Maybe the new dean has no list...

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:17 am

homestyle28 wrote:Maybe the new dean has no list...

He is shrinking it so as to make it moar preftigious. In related news: tuition only going up a little bit? HOW LUCKY ARE WE

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:18 am

bjsesq wrote:

He is shrinking it so as to make it moar preftigious. In related news: tuition only going up a little bit? HOW LUCKY ARE WE

I honestly thought he was going to announce a 0% tuition increase. How anti-climactic.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:21 am

rayiner wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I honestly thought he was going to announce a 0% tuition increase. How anti-climactic.

It was the most odd peacocking I've ever seen. Telling kids attending one of the most expensive law schools on planet earth that their tuition is going up, and then expecting some sort of love because it ain't that much seems...... iuno, completely aspy and right at home in a law school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:14 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rayiner wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

It was the most odd peacocking I've ever seen. Telling kids attending one of the most expensive law schools on planet earth that their tuition is going up, and then expecting some sort of love because it ain't that much seems...... iuno, completely aspy and right at home in a law school.

So far I think D-Rod's a twat. And he doesn't seem too focused on proving me wrong either.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:16 pm

IAFG wrote:So far I think D-Rod's a twat. And he doesn't seem too focused on proving me wrong either.

He doesn't seem to give a shit about what any students think. He's actually been downright dismissive of many. Sometimes it's funny, and sometimes he just comes across like a narcissistic douche. Most of the time, actually.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:
IAFG wrote:So far I think D-Rod's a twat. And he doesn't seem too focused on proving me wrong either.

He doesn't seem to give a shit about what any students think. He's actually been downright dismissive of many. Sometimes it's funny, and sometimes he just comes across like a narcissistic douche. Most of the time, actually.

Add me to the list of people who think he should go fuck himself. And not in the fun way.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:39 pm

bjsesq wrote:

To be fair, the underlined part is most law professors.

Anyway, he wasn't loved at UT by any means. I heard from a student that had him that his classes universally hated him.

He was run out of town when he was dean at USD was what I was told by a Sr. associate that graduated from there.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Add me to the list of people who think he should go fuck himself. And not in the fun way.

+1

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 pm

I guess this isn't Northwestern-specific, but do any employers ask for graduate school transcripts at OCI (like non-science master's work?). I know some ask for undergrad, but do any require that you send transcripts from all schools you've attended? Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”