Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Actually, can you tell me more about this:

The only ones I can think of that might not have the possibility to lead to FT offers are the 3 government employers (but I kind of doubt that they are going to the trouble of doing OCI for a spot like that).


Who are they and what kind of jobs do they offer?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bdubs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Actually, can you tell me more about this:

The only ones I can think of that might not have the possibility to lead to FT offers are the 3 government employers (but I kind of doubt that they are going to the trouble of doing OCI for a spot like that).


Who are they and what kind of jobs do they offer?


Federal Reserve Board (DC), Chicago Transit Authority, and D.C. Public Defender Service.

The transit authority seems to be an academic semester as well as summer interview, so that one might not lead to a FT offer. It's a strange posting for OCI.

The other two don't have job descriptions

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13605
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 pm

bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:There are some Chi firms on there that pay $130k or $135k. Might be tough to pay off sticker loans on that, sadly.


You're joking, right?

I mean it depends on how fast you want to pay off your loans. I'd like them paid ASAP. Others probably prefer the 10 year plan. Having an extra $25k less the taxes would be very helpful when you're staring at $250k and wanting to get rid of it quickly. I didn't mean you'd have to live a hard life or anything, just that the time you could reasonably pay off the loans is longer.

User avatar
Evaly
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Evaly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 pm

rayiner wrote:Use the NALP data to record recruiter contact information (the recruiter, not the hiring partner).


Thanks for the great info. Should cover letters always be addressed to the recruiter and not the hiring partner? Or is that more for mass mailing? I am writing cover letters for a diversity fair and I am not sure which one to use.

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 pm

In addition to all that advice that Rayiner has provided, I would also advise that 1L's (regardless of whether you are on the cusp or a lock) practice their interviewing skills over the summer. Know who you are and what your story is. Learn how to sell yourself. While this seems obvious and rather cliche, most law students really don't interview all that well (and most people think that they interview better than they actually do ... including myself).

I also have a handful of friends who just graduated who all have very strong GPAs and undergraduate pedigree. They received multiple callbacks and were invited to many other post-OCI interviews. Unfortunately, they don't have jobs and this is largely attributed to the fact that they do not interview well and struggle connecting with people during a 15 minute interview. Interviewing really is a skill set. Take it seriously!

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 pm

chadwick218 wrote:In addition to all that advice that Rayiner has provided, I would also advise that 1L's (regardless of whether you are on the cusp or a lock) practice their interviewing skills over the summer. Know who you are and what your story is. Learn how to sell yourself. While this seems obvious and rather cliche, most law students really don't interview all that well (and most people think that they interview better than they actually do ... including myself).

I also have a handful of friends who just graduated who all have very strong GPAs and undergraduate pedigree. They received multiple callbacks and were invited to many other post-OCI interviews. Unfortunately, they don't have jobs and this is largely attributed to the fact that they do not interview well and struggle connecting with people during a 15 minute interview. Interviewing really is a skill set. Take it seriously!


A thousand times yes.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Evaly wrote:
rayiner wrote:Use the NALP data to record recruiter contact information (the recruiter, not the hiring partner).


Thanks for the great info. Should cover letters always be addressed to the recruiter and not the hiring partner? Or is that more for mass mailing? I am writing cover letters for a diversity fair and I am not sure which one to use.


Recruiter.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 pm

chadwick218 wrote:In addition to all that advice that Rayiner has provided, I would also advise that 1L's (regardless of whether you are on the cusp or a lock) practice their interviewing skills over the summer. Know who you are and what your story is. Learn how to sell yourself. While this seems obvious and rather cliche, most law students really don't interview all that well (and most people think that they interview better than they actually do ... including myself).

I also have a handful of friends who just graduated who all have very strong GPAs and undergraduate pedigree. They received multiple callbacks and were invited to many other post-OCI interviews. Unfortunately, they don't have jobs and this is largely attributed to the fact that they do not interview well and struggle connecting with people during a 15 minute interview. Interviewing really is a skill set. Take it seriously!


Ya, I definitely feel that interview skills will be dispositive for me. I was trying to figure out whether trying out for a higher ranked school would improve my job prospects, but ultimately I feel like the reason why I would be no-offered at NU would be poor interview skills, and that would get me no-offered no matter where I end up.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 pm

rayiner wrote:
Evaly wrote:
rayiner wrote:Use the NALP data to record recruiter contact information (the recruiter, not the hiring partner).


Thanks for the great info. Should cover letters always be addressed to the recruiter and not the hiring partner? Or is that more for mass mailing? I am writing cover letters for a diversity fair and I am not sure which one to use.


Recruiter.


Speaking of this, I hate the new NALP website.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm gonna head off all this OCI talk into it's own thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=186949

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 am

How to maximize your bid list.

NYC/LA/Chicago/SF pick at most one of these cities. These firms all go in the top 12, MAYBE top 15 bids. You get them fairly reliably until spot 10, and sporadically until 15. You just can't cover more than one, and if you try, you won't cover either. So don't even bother bidding an unselective firm from these after 15.

Very selective (non chicago) firms go later. If you don't have a decent shot at these, you can bid them after spot 15 and before spot 25ish and probably get them.

If you want to interview at the chicago offices of Kirkland, Sidely, or Mayer Brown, you better bid them 1,2,3. These firms are exceptions to the "more selective, less competitive" rule.

DC firms last a little longer in bidding. You'll get them reliably until 20, and sporadically until 25.

Texas and Minnesota last fairly long in bidding, into the 40's but did eventually fill up. I assume this goes for other fairly significant, but still not primary markets too. If you are looking to end up at these places, you may want to bid them early just to be safe. If you want to use them as back up, you can probably put them after 25 on your bid list and still get them.

Other small markets fill up late or never fill.

IP firms fill up in the late 40s, or never do. I got every single one after I listed them 30-37.

Don't insinuate that a named partner is effeminate/gay because of his shirt color and, therefore, weak.

So your bid list should look like:

1-15 : your primary market with the less selective firms first and the more selective later. Firms with a small amount of interview spots first, firms with large number of spots later.

15-20: Very selective firms that decent number of interviews should go here. Place like DPW, Cravath, Irell. Places like Skadden and Weil should go closer to 15, maybe below. I got Weil at 12 but missed Skadden at 22. Got DPW at 30, and heard Cravath went into late 30s.

15-25 can also be used to target a secondary market. DC firms are somewhat attainable up until 25. If you are going to do NY+DC or Chicago and Boston, or LA and DC, I'd do the primary market to 15, then the secondary from 15-20.

25+ Use this to get "just in case" markets that you have some sort of connection (or can stretch one). If you are IP, put them 25+. If you are from Texas but don't wanna go back? Put them 25+. Your husband was born and raised in St. Paul? Bid Minnesota 25+. If you have less than a 3.6, you might want to put Cravath, Sulcrom, DPW here.

Don't bid on shit you have no connections to. The interivews are awfully awkward and you end up wasting prep time that you could use for other interviews.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:Don't insinuate that a named partner is effeminate/gay because of his shirt color and, therefore, weak.


:lol:

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:41 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Don't insinuate that a named partner is effeminate/gay because of his shirt color and, therefore, weak.


:lol:


He had it coming.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:04 am

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:There are some Chi firms on there that pay $130k or $135k. Might be tough to pay off sticker loans on that, sadly.


You're joking, right?

I mean it depends on how fast you want to pay off your loans. I'd like them paid ASAP. Others probably prefer the 10 year plan. Having an extra $25k less the taxes would be very helpful when you're staring at $250k and wanting to get rid of it quickly. I didn't mean you'd have to live a hard life or anything, just that the time you could reasonably pay off the loans is longer.

Yes, it will be faster/easier/more pleasant on a bigger salary. No, it will not be "tough" on $130k. People earning $160k in DC and NY are almost certainly worse off.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby D-hops » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:03 pm

rayiner wrote:Also, generally it's advisable to be normal. However, if you don't exude charisma and energy in your normal state ala D-Hopps, consider punching up the enthusiasm and intensity bit for OCI (without bordering on weirdly intense, of course).


Found this. To be fair, one morning during OCI, I was pretty much exuding alcohol out of my pores. Don't do that.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 pm

IAFG wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:There are some Chi firms on there that pay $130k or $135k. Might be tough to pay off sticker loans on that, sadly.


You're joking, right?

I mean it depends on how fast you want to pay off your loans. I'd like them paid ASAP. Others probably prefer the 10 year plan. Having an extra $25k less the taxes would be very helpful when you're staring at $250k and wanting to get rid of it quickly. I didn't mean you'd have to live a hard life or anything, just that the time you could reasonably pay off the loans is longer.

Yes, it will be faster/easier/more pleasant on a bigger salary. No, it will not be "tough" on $130k. People earning $160k in DC and NY are almost certainly worse off.

This is why I'm wifing someone with low debt and solid earning potential :lol:

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Jam, are you going to nyu?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Jam, are you going to nyu?

I'll know very soon.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:This is why I'm wifing someone with low debt and solid earning potential :lol:

Luckily for me, my husband is terrible at managing money, otherwise I would still be single.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Rising 2L's pm me, please. Info about my firm for OCI that I don't want to post here.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Graduates...

Degrees have been awarded and are showing up in Caesar on your unofficial transcript.

No word when honors info will be available.

fdsajkfhs
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby fdsajkfhs » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Nice. Congrats to us!

Anyone know when we can expect to hear about honors?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I have no idea, but I'm interested in hearing from someone who does.

attractive_NUisance
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby attractive_NUisance » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah I want to know when as well so I gave in and asked someone in admin, but haven't heard anything back. I'm sure it will be soon at this point, the only thing they calculate in terms of class percentage should only take a few minutes to run in excel. Congrats to everyone!

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Surprise twist: due to rampant grade inflation, Coif is at 3.98.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RareExports, twister93, White Dwarf and 1 guest