Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
VulcanVulcanVulcan

Re: Northwestern 3Ls Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Rumor has it that professors ask people to be TA's? How does that work? I would like to be one.

crumpetsandtea

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Now who are all of these annoying people and why haven't we had any challenges in a while?

We still haven't done whatever drinking challenge it was that I suggested like a year ago. Oops?

I would like to note, I am in for whatever drinking challenges may arise, even though I am and irregular poster at best. But I can always get behind a solid night of drinking.

I think the original challenge I posed to Holly was a beer chugging challenge. But I'm willing to go a step farther and say that Ill go drink for drink with her one of these nights.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Now who are all of these annoying people and why haven't we had any challenges in a while?

We still haven't done whatever drinking challenge it was that I suggested like a year ago. Oops?

I would like to note, I am in for whatever drinking challenges may arise, even though I am and irregular poster at best. But I can always get behind a solid night of drinking.

I think the original challenge I posed to Holly was a beer chugging challenge. But I'm willing to go a step farther and say that Ill go drink for drink with her one of these nights.

Been nice knowing ya.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Flips88 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Flips88 wrote:So...any tips on bidding strategy for Chicago and D.C.?

Weren't you all-in on PI?

Yes, I was. But after discussing my career goals of DOJ/USAO with Dave, Cindy, and Susie, they've all said the clearest path there is through clerking and time at a firm. I'll still be applying for all the government honors programs, but I'll also be doing OCI.

Yeah. DOJ Honors is down from ~175 to ~35 in the last few years. Betting on BigFed is a sure way to turn up with nothing. Anybody who is interested in federal government work needs to gun for a clerkship and preferably have a firm job in their back pocket if the clerkship plans don't pan out.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Rumor has it that professors ask people to be TA's? How does that work? I would like to be one.

It depends. Some professors just want you to come up and ask. Others hire contact people who got A+ in their class and ask them to TA.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:36 pm

bjsesq wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:We still haven't done whatever drinking challenge it was that I suggested like a year ago. Oops?

Been nice knowing ya.

:lol: At least my death will provide ample entertainment for everyone else present.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:02 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:Rumor has it that professors ask people to be TA's? How does that work? I would like to be one.

You actually probably would not like being one.

Rampage1

Postby Rampage1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 pm

How hard is it to get Sf during oci?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Question: Did any of you 3Ls do serious pre-OCI networking/try to make contacts or at least have a name to drop at OCI? I was thinking of picking out a few target firms and trying to establish contact with an NU alum. Thoughts?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:03 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Question: Did any of you 3Ls do serious pre-OCI networking/try to make contacts or at least have a name to drop at OCI? I was thinking of picking out a few target firms and trying to establish contact with an NU alum. Thoughts?

My uncle had just retired from a firm that came to OCI. I dropped his name in the "why this firm" answer. Didn't get a callback.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Thank you to all of the rising 3Ls who submitted their callback info to the CSO. C/O 2014 appreciates it.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 pm

bdubs wrote:Thank you to all of the rising 3Ls who submitted their callback info to the CSO. C/O 2014 appreciates it.

So you'll do the same for future generations, riiiiight? :wink:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Congrats C/O 2013. Looks like OCI 2011 went way better than OCI 2009/2010.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 pm

rayiner wrote:Congrats C/O 2013. Looks like OCI 2011 went way better than OCI 2009/2010.

Good to hear.

Is this anecdotal or did you quantify it somehow?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
rayiner wrote:Congrats C/O 2013. Looks like OCI 2011 went way better than OCI 2009/2010.

Good to hear.

Is this anecdotal or did you quantify it somehow?

Peeked at the OCI 2011 data on a 3L's Symplicity.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:15 am

So obviously this data helps us figure out which firms are more selective about higher GPAs, but is there any other way that we should be using this data to inform our bidding?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 am

Flips88 wrote:So obviously this data helps us figure out which firms are more selective about higher GPAs, but is there any other way that we should be using this data to inform our bidding?

Two things:

1) Remember that firms that have lower callback medians are going to be more popular at bid-time, so they need to be bid higher to get interviews.

2) The minimums as well as the medians are useful. Firms that have a tighter spread between minimum and median are generally more grades-focused than those that have a wider spread. E.g. both DPW and S&C have medians ~3.8, but DPW has a much larger spread indicating that it is more willing to dip down for people who stand out in other ways. Remember also that half the people who get callbacks have GPA's lower than the median. In the Sidley/K&E CSM/S&C/DPW groupings of firms, the same 3.8+ folks are going to get CB's, but a substantial number of 3.65+ folks are also going to get callbacks and offers, and in general for any given firm the callback median is going to be substantially higher than the median GPA of people who actually accept offers at the firm.

3) Don't fret if you're below median. It seems scary when you see only one or two firms with medians below 3.35, but realize that a completely grade-insensitive firm will have a median callback GPA equal to the median class GPA.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:33 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Question: Did any of you 3Ls do serious pre-OCI networking/try to make contacts or at least have a name to drop at OCI? I was thinking of picking out a few target firms and trying to establish contact with an NU alum. Thoughts?

My uncle had just retired from a firm that came to OCI. I dropped his name in the "why this firm" answer. Didn't get a callback.

I didn't network, but I started mailing the third week of June. It helped. Also: I don't give a shit what your grades are, mail. MAIL ALL THE THINGS.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:59 am

bjsesq wrote:I didn't network, but I started mailing the third week of June. It helped. Also: I don't give a shit what your grades are, mail. MAIL ALL THE THINGS.

That early? That's like a week away.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:We still haven't done whatever drinking challenge it was that I suggested like a year ago. Oops?

:lol: At least my death will provide ample entertainment for everyone else present.

Crumpets, from what I've seen, you'll lose, but I would be happy to see this contest in action. In order to save money I have recently discovered a bar in Lincoln Park that has 50 cent rolling rock cans and $3.00 wells every Thursday. While Rolling Rock sucks, and I'm not a huge fan of well drinks, you can't beat the price.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:34 am

Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: :lol: At least my death will provide ample entertainment for everyone else present.

Crumpets, from what I've seen, you'll lose, but I would be happy to see this contest in action. In order to save money I have recently discovered a bar in Lincoln Park that has 50 cent rolling rock cans and $3.00 wells every Thursday. While Rolling Rock sucks, and I'm not a huge fan of well drinks, you can't beat the price.

I'm pretty sure I'll lose, but the process of losing will be fun XD Also - holy shit nice prices!!! WANT (although I've never had Rolling Rock before).

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:37 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: :lol: At least my death will provide ample entertainment for everyone else present.

I'm pretty sure I'll lose, but the process of losing will be fun XD Also - holy shit nice prices!!! WANT (although I've never had Rolling Rock before).

Basically tastes the same as other cheap beers. Think MGD or High Life. And yes, great prices, you can show up with a $20 and make it through last call. See you there.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:36 am

bk1 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I didn't network, but I started mailing the third week of June. It helped. Also: I don't give a shit what your grades are, mail. MAIL ALL THE THINGS.

I would love it if a 3L or recent grad could maybe give us a week-by-week schedule of what the hell we should be doing between now and September, assuming our job search needs to go beyond just using all 40 bids and being charming at OCI.

Who do I mail? Firms in my markets that aren't coming to OCI, but that have the practice areas I want? Firms that that are coming to OCI just in case my bid strategy fails? Firms that aren't coming to OCI, aren't in markets I want, and don't have practice areas I want because it doesn't hurt to be cautious?

I don't even think I know what "mailing" means. Stuff envelopes with resume, transcript, and cover letter? Email the recruiting contact at the firm?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 am

Icculus wrote:

Wisefools? Opened a tab once, we decided to go some place else after about 25 minutes. found out there was a 10 dollar minimum. Chugged a lot of rolling rock in a short amount of time.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:26 am

bk1 wrote:

And by June, I meant July. Durp. Sorry about that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”