Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ANON3333

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby ANON3333 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:50 pm

TTT-LS wrote:My impression is that the whole shebang might have just been a big, but well-intentioned, misunderstanding.

hopefully. details?

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ANON3333

Postby ANON3333 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Last edited by ANON3333 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Someone at Feinberg told me that a student or someone "saw" a man with a gun and called the police. Very well could have been nothing... But anyways, people who are accepted, please don't go so you can free up spots for me. :) Thank you.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:42 pm

TTT-LS wrote:My impression is that the whole shebang might have just been a big, but well-intentioned, misunderstanding.

That was what I figured too.

I was over all very impressed with how they handled it and the emergency alerts, but was it really necessary to hold classes in the afternoon when some students still couldn't get in to school and some students had just been locked in the library for three hours? Like, just cancel classes for the day.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:38 pm

From what I heard, it was a faculty member who called it in and not a student. I would love to believe that it was a misunderstanding but... given the strength of the police / FBI response I strongly suspect that they believed the witness to be credible enough to consider it real and dangerous.

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:47 pm

So... I've been waiting patiently for over a month for my application to go complete. I finally emailed the admissions office to inquire, and Greg Wenz wrote back saying my status has changed. I checked and it was still "received electronically" please wait four weeks for it to arrive blah blah...

Did you guys experience this kind of long wait? How might I go about inquiring again without sounding like a whiny, impatient person? Because I've seen no change in my status at all...

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:50 pm

luckyjd wrote:So... I've been waiting patiently for over a month for my application to go complete. I finally emailed the admissions office to inquire, and Greg Wenz wrote back saying my status has changed. I checked and it was still "received electronically" please wait four weeks for it to arrive blah blah...

Did you guys experience this kind of long wait? How might I go about inquiring again without sounding like a whiny, impatient person? Because I've seen no change in my status at all...

Odd. I went complete in less than a day.

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 pm

:( Northwestern must hate me.

tome

Postby tome » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:41 pm

hmlee wrote:From what I heard, it was a faculty member who called it in and not a student. I would love to believe that it was a misunderstanding but... given the strength of the police / FBI response I strongly suspect that they believed the witness to be credible enough to consider it real and dangerous.

I also think it was at best a misunderstanding, at worst a malicious hoax. The story is just so implausible: a guy walks into a building that has almost no security with a gun in his pants instead of in a bag or something, stays long enough to be seen, and then promptly fucks off without using it? I guess maybe he got cold feet when someone saw him or something, but still seems very odd.

I wonder if the person who saw him asked "Are you by any chance happy to see me?"

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:49 pm

hmlee wrote:From what I heard, it was a faculty member who called it in and not a student. I would love to believe that it was a misunderstanding but... given the strength of the police / FBI response I strongly suspect that they believed the witness to be credible enough to consider it real and dangerous.

A police officer told me the description given was very specific, which lead them to believe the credibility of the report.

I don't doubt there was someone with a gun; I do doubt they had any ulterior motives. They probably just carried a gun somewhere they shouldn't have.

tome

Postby tome » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:

A police officer told me the description given was very specific, which lead them to believe the credibility of the report.

I don't doubt there was someone with a gun; I do doubt they had any ulterior motives. They probably just carried a gun somewhere they shouldn't have.

Perhaps, but this is Chicago, not Dallas. You pretty much can't take a gun anywhere in this city I thought. It is hard to imagine someone taking a gun with them by accident or without a motive.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

tome wrote:
Dick Whitman wrote:

Perhaps, but this is Chicago, not Dallas. You pretty much can't take a gun anywhere in this city I thought. It is hard to imagine someone taking a gun with them by accident or without a motive.

Handguns are banned in Chicago, even in your house, at least until McDonald vs. Chicago gets decided.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Handguns are banned in Chicago, even in your house, at least until McDonald vs. Chicago gets decided.

Will you hate me if I hope McDonald wins? (I'm going off the assumption he wants to be able to own a handgun)

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Would any current students have any idea when we could expect the Fall 09 employment data to be released? Do you remember about what time of year last year data was released?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Handguns are banned in Chicago, even in your house, at least until McDonald vs. Chicago gets decided.

Will you hate me if I hope McDonald wins? (I'm going off the assumption he wants to be able to own a handgun)

Nope, I think banning guns even in the home goes too far. But I drink far too often to keep a gun, I'd probably kill myself.

Also, it doesn't seem top stop the murder rate in Chicago.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:

Nope, I think banning guns even in the home goes too far. But I drink far too often to keep a gun, I'd probably kill myself.

Also, it doesn't seem top stop the murder rate in Chicago.

I think the question isn't whether it stops the murder rate... but whether the murder rate will increase or decrease if McDonald wins.

We shall see.

ANON3333

Postby ANON3333 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:47 pm

I know this is getting way off-topic, but interesting article about Mr. Mcdonald in the chicago tribune today.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/ct-news-chicago-gun-ban-20100129,0,3152673.story

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:38 pm

hmlee wrote:I think the question isn't whether it stops the murder rate... but whether the murder rate will increase or decrease if McDonald wins.

We shall see.
Horrendously off topic now, but maybe somebody did an analysis like this for DC post-Heller.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:13 pm

NayBoer wrote:
hmlee wrote:I think the question isn't whether it stops the murder rate... but whether the murder rate will increase or decrease if McDonald wins.

We shall see.
Horrendously off topic now, but maybe somebody did an analysis like this for DC post-Heller.

Has it been long enough beyond Heller to have meaningful data on that point? I mean you'd have to give some time for the gun quantity in the city to increase...

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 pm

TTT-LS wrote:Goddammit. Who's the asshole who forwarded the listserv thing to ATL? If it was a TLSer, I'd really be disappointed. I didn't participate in that listserv discussion, but I did find parts of it amusing. Regardless of what you thought, the right response was certainly not to make it a matter of national legal news.

I loled.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Not me. Though it's clear that someone is trying to ensure we appear on ATL at least once a month.

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:55 am

I have an on-campus interview at NU on March 4. Thinking about staying in the area through the weekend to explore the town and get a feel for the environment. Are there any 1/2/3Ls who have some time to burn on the weekend and can show me around? deep dish pizza? sports bars? or whatever else it is that NU students do on a thu/fri/sat?

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:52 am

TTT-LS wrote:Goddammit. Who's the asshole who forwarded the listserv thing to ATL? If it was a TLSer, I'd really be disappointed. I didn't participate in that listserv discussion, but I did find parts of it amusing. Regardless of what you thought, the right response was certainly not to make it a matter of national legal news.

This reminds me, thoughts on the current NU bashing on ATL and Leiter’s blog (regarding the Dean's comments about schools ranked below 70).. Would appreciate some input from current students
Last edited by Drew2010 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”