Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
crumpetsandtea

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Don't go to NU, for the love of god, blumpbeef.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:40 pm

splitmuch wrote:Serious question-does anyone actually try to transfer for any reason besides hys or legitimate personal reasons?

chadwick218 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People who transer out are friendless losers.

I concur. Unless you are transferring to HYS or for legitimate personal reasons, I think that you will yourself a great injustice come OCI transfering out of NU to a school ranked only a couple of spots higher. Looking back, not transfering was probably the best decision that I made.

Point taken. But I am aware of some people who transferred for bad reasons, IMO. In other words, I don't think that their personal reasons were all that reasonable (i.e., I think that New York would be fun).

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:What about the cold? Is that a legitimate reason to transfer?

So you are left looking at Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, and Duke?

lol

I actually was thinking about Boalt specifically. And not for the weather, obviously, but for employment prospects in SF.

How big of a hit is there from doing a transfer?

(0L here)

The challenge from an OCI perspective is that if you transfer to Berkeley you will obviously be lumped in with other students from Berkeley. During the initial screening interview (i.e., OCI), it will be difficult for employers to compare your GPA to the GPAs of your new Berkeley classmates. Employers are lazy; they don't want to do any extra work or analysis and it is less likely that you would be given the benefit of the doubt.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46 pm

splitmuch wrote:Serious question-does anyone actually try to transfer for any reason besides hys or legitimate personal reasons?

chadwick218 wrote:

I concur. Unless you are transferring to HYS or for legitimate personal reasons, I think that you will yourself a great injustice come OCI transfering out of NU to a school ranked only a couple of spots higher. Looking back, not transfering was probably the best decision that I made.

Every year there is someone who does the cross-town NU -> U Chicago transfer.

I'm not quite as down on transferring as DF. If you're ranked in the top 5-10 people after 1L, and if you're gunning for a feeder clerkship, and you think you can write-on to LR on the transfer, and you can kill it 2L, then I think an NU -> Chicago transfer might help you. No matter how high you're ranked at NU, Posner still hires based on the recommendation of the clerkship committee at U Chicago. That's a lot of "if" however, and losing LR would kill your chance at a feeder.

And I'd definitely transfer for the everlasting prestige of HYS, but then again I'm Indian and we love prestige.

The top 20% at NU -> U Chicago transfer is silly and lame however.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:47 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Don't go to NU, for the love of god, blumpbeef.

I've given it a lot of thought.

Other than HYS (and B), I'm not really interested in other schools. A year of WE isn't going to improve my chances at any of these. An early app might get me into Penn, but whatever advantages Penn has over NU are mainly going to be in NY, and I'd prefer to stay away from NY if I can help it.

I might get money from NU with an early app, but it's not guaranteed. A lot of people on here didn't, and several are arguably more qualified than I am. In any case, whatever scholarship I do get won't make a dent.

I actually really liked both NU and Chicago. I feel pretty good about it.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Don't go to NU, for the love of god, blumpbeef.

I've given it a lot of thought.

Other than HYS (and B), I'm not really interested in other schools. A year of WE isn't going to improve my chances at any of these. An early app might get me into Penn, but whatever advantages Penn has over NU are mainly going to be in NY, and I'd prefer to stay away from NY if I can help it.

I might get money from NU with an early app, but it's not guaranteed. A lot of people on here didn't, and several are arguably more qualified than I am. In any case, whatever scholarship I do get won't make a dent.

I actually really liked both NU and Chicago. I feel pretty good about it.

You're not going to get into HYS+B. I think the NU -> B transfer would be reasonable in y our case, so long as you're from SF.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Been wondering, if by some miracle my 1L grades were top 5-10% (not counting on it, but play along), would there be a way to get scholarship money for 2L and 3L? Does NU give 1L's $? Would the threat of transferring do anything?

alabamabound

Postby alabamabound » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:27 pm

rayiner wrote:

chadwick218 wrote:

Every year there is someone who does the cross-town NU -> U Chicago transfer.

I'm not quite as down on transferring as DF. If you're ranked in the top 5-10 people after 1L, and if you're gunning for a feeder clerkship, and you think you can write-on to LR on the transfer, and you can kill it 2L, then I think an NU -> Chicago transfer might help you. No matter how high you're ranked at NU, Posner still hires based on the recommendation of the clerkship committee at U Chicago. That's a lot of "if" however, and losing LR would kill your chance at a feeder.

And I'd definitely transfer for the everlasting prestige of HYS, but then again I'm Indian and we love prestige.

The top 20% at NU -> U Chicago transfer is silly and lame however.

The Posner assertion is demonstrably untrue this year given that he just hired from NU and HLS.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:Been wondering, if by some miracle my 1L grades were top 5-10% (not counting on it, but play along), would there be a way to get scholarship money for 2L and 3L? Does NU give 1L's $? Would the threat of transferring do anything?

Not a chance. I this very same question nearly two years ago and Cliff laughed at me!

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:Been wondering, if by some miracle my 1L grades were top 5-10% (not counting on it, but play along), would there be a way to get scholarship money for 2L and 3L? Does NU give 1L's $? Would the threat of transferring do anything?

I don't conclusively know the answer to this (but I can't imagine it would work; it would be grossly unfair to do an under-the-table post-admission scholarship like this, unless they offered it to all top students, which they definitely don't), but is a great segue back into discussing wtf is up with spring grades. Any new news, anyone???

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Giving 2L merit aid would be a slippery slope*...

Soon everyone in the top 10% will be applying for transfer just to get some cash

*Just sharpening up my gunner skills

attractive_NUisance

Postby attractive_NUisance » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 pm

dru617 wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote: but is a great segue back into discussing wtf is up with spring grades. Any new news, anyone???

My new feeling is that a professor screwed up the curve in a way that could affect grade calculations for graduation honors. That would be the only reason that they would not just hold back results for a single class and release everyone else's grades.

Although, I do like the "Kagan is the glue that holds the administration together" theory.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 pm

This wait is getting a little ri-goddamn-diculous

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:52 pm

alabamabound wrote:The Posner assertion is demonstrably untrue this year given that he just hired from NU and HLS.

Retracted. I know there is one judge on the 7th Circuit which basically hires based on who the clerkship committee at U Chicago recommends. Must be Easterbrook.

FWIW, NU classmates have disagreed with my point above. Transferring would lose the advantage of faculty connections, which are very significant when talking about feeder clerkships. And I will reiterate that losing LR would be a huge, huge determent to feeder chances, and it's extremely difficult to write-on to LR at U Chicago (like one every few years or one a decade or something like that).
Last edited by rayiner on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml8756

Postby jml8756 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Last edited by jml8756 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Northwestern definitely gave scholarships to stay last summer. It is TTT as fuck. If it happens again, I'm going to send a ranty list serve about it.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern definitely gave scholarships to stay last summer. It is TTT as fuck. If it happens again, I'm going to send a ranty list serve about it.

Really? Wow. That's really, really messed up. Do you know if top students were contacted proactively by the administration, or only those that threatened to transfer?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:06 pm

dru617 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern definitely gave scholarships to stay last summer. It is TTT as fuck. If it happens again, I'm going to send a ranty list serve about it.

Really? Wow. That's really, really messed up. Do you know if top students were contacted proactively by the administration, or only those that threatened to transfer?

Given the school doesn't know about clerkships at that point, still, they have an interest in keeping any students they feel are clerkship secure.

Think about how much the school gains if the Posner clerk gets a SCOTUS clerkship.

Still, I'm curious about your question as well.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:06 pm

I got confused for a nu to u of c transfer on an interview once. Interviewer said, so it says here you are transferring for the academic challenge.

The dood actually told a firm he was in it for the rigor.lofl

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I got confused for a nu to u of c transfer on an interview once. Interviewer said, so it says here you are transferring for the academic challenge.

And yet that dude probably interviewed for admission at NU and was passable. That backs up my belief that the admission interview means nothing other than you are willing to make the time to interview and thus are slightly more likely to matriculate.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I got confused for a nu to u of c transfer on an interview once. Interviewer said, so it says here you are transferring for the academic challenge.

And yet that dude probably interviewed for admission at NU and was passable. That backs up my belief that the admission interview means nothing other than you are willing to make the time to interview and thus are slightly more likely to matriculate.

Rays wife getting in after showing up reeking of vomit proves this. Best first date story ever.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:

Rays wife getting in after showing up reeking of vomit proves this. Best first date story ever.

Their first date was during her interview visit? Awesome. That must've been a true TLS relationship.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
dru617 wrote:

Given the school doesn't know about clerkships at that point, still, they have an interest in keeping any students they feel are clerkship secure.

Think about how much the school gains if the Posner clerk gets a SCOTUS clerkship.

Nobody is Posner secure, and they were giving then out just for getting Harvard.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
dru617 wrote:

Nobody is Posner secure, and they were giving then out just for getting Harvard.

No, not Posner secure, but clerkship secure.

Anyway, noted.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:

Someone did on article on it after it was instituted. It's quite clever really. First, it ensures that you're really interested. Second, it's great marketing. The interview allows the school to start selling you on NU long before ASW. I remember being extremely impressed by the campus when I visited for my interview (right downtown, dramatic views of lake Michigan), especially having just visited GULC. I could see myself going to school there, which is just great marketing for the school.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”