Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rayiner

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rayiner » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:OK... I'm on board the not tonight boat. Maybe tomorrow.

It's definitely late. Spring 2010 and Spring 2011 were both exactly 28 days after the last exam day.

And we're at 33 now right?

dru617

Postby dru617 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Not that it really matters at this point, but doesn't Kagen always send an email after grades are due from profs stating that grades will be posted by X date unless there are problems, in which case another email will be sent?

We didn't get such an email from her (or anyone else) this semester...

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 pm

dru617 wrote:Not that it really matters at this point, but doesn't Kagen always send an email after grades are due from profs stating that grades will be posted by X date unless there are problems, in which case another email will be sent?

Kagan has been on maternity leave for a while.

dru617

Postby dru617 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:42 pm

bdubs wrote:
dru617 wrote:Not that it really matters at this point, but doesn't Kagen always send an email after grades are due from profs stating that grades will be posted by X date unless there are problems, in which case another email will be sent?

Kagan has been on maternity leave for a while.

Hmmm. Maybe therein lies the heart of the problem...

boblasidy

Postby boblasidy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:03 am

1. A single person not being in the office or leaving should not stop a major institution from releasing grades entered via scantron sheets (at least not since about 1976)

2. Has anyone called? Im starting to get the feeling that this grade withholding is meant to make it more difficult for borderline transfer students waiting to see their spring grades.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:05 am

boblasidy wrote:1. A single person not being in the office or leaving should not stop a major institution from releasing grades entered via scantron sheets (at least not since about 1976)

2. Has anyone called? Im starting to get the feeling that this grade withholding is meant to make it more difficult for borderline transfer students waiting to see their spring grades.

A friend called yesterday and was told "They'll be released by June 15th at the latest, but probably earlier." Someone ITT said they asked last week and was told it'd be yesterday. So the people don't give straight answers it seems.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 am

boblasidy wrote:1. A single person not being in the office or leaving should not stop a major institution from releasing grades entered via scantron sheets (at least not since about 1976)

As much as I hate conspiracy theories...

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 am

Say what you want, but so far the only thing our new dean has represented is less communication and more incompetence and shady dealings. Not saying its his fault, or that this is even true, but it should be the onus of his office to make sure these things either don't happen or are properly communicated.

Honest to god, if someone had to choose between a number of schools to which I know people currently attending, I would not recommend ours. Not right now at least.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:29 am

Remnantofisrael wrote:Say what you want, but so far the only thing our new dean has represented is less communication and more incompetence and shady dealings. Not saying its his fault, or that this is even true, but it should be the onus of his office to make sure these things either don't happen or are properly communicated.

Honest to god, if someone had to choose between a number of schools to which I know people currently attending, I would not recommend ours. Not right now at least.

Don't be such a whiny little bitch. Grades are five days later than usual, past a deadline that nobody in the administration committed to. BFD. Would you rather go to Michigan where the CSO retardedly averaged pre-ITE callback data with post-ITE data? Or maybe Virginia where you might get one grade then another days later. Or the several T14's that use ExamSoft.

Nobody likes to be kept waiting for grades, but of all the things to base your evaluation of the administration on...

dru617

Postby dru617 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 am

LOL. Way to play down my theory in "1," only to come up with a far more outlandish and implausible theory in "2."

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:08 am

rayiner wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:Say what you want, but so far the only thing our new dean has represented is less communication and more incompetence and shady dealings. Not saying its his fault, or that this is even true, but it should be the onus of his office to make sure these things either don't happen or are properly communicated.

Don't be such a whiny little bitch. Grades are five days later than usual, past a deadline that nobody in the administration committed to. BFD. Would you rather go to Michigan where the CSO retardedly averaged pre-ITE callback data with post-ITE data? Or maybe Virginia where you might get one grade then another days later. Or the several T14's that use ExamSoft.

Nobody likes to be kept waiting for grades, but of all the things to base your evaluation of the administration on...

I couldn't care less about this singular issue. I know our school is usually good about grades and even with this extra wait compared to the past, its better than most. I'm not bitching about this, I'm bitching about everything. Seriously, I'm not the only one who has had a less than miserable experience here this past year. I know people at Berkley, a bunch at Michigan, UVA, Penn, and NYU. Everyone complains about certain things at their schools. But I have a lot more than one or two things that are problematic. If you read my previous posts, I line them out, and those don't even include the plethora of issues others talk about regularly.

And I've asked if its just me and it seems that others would agree. I don't know if this is because of the mess at the dean-level that is expected when there is turnover, or what. But its pretty evident, and I hope next year things run smoother with better decision making and planning in general. ALSO, I'm willing to accept that this is just par-for-the-course at law school, but no one is claiming that yet.

In the end, if our school touts itself as more professional, it should act that way. Rankings, which don't take into account student experience, are messing up my chi.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:32 am

Remnantofisrael wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I couldn't care less about this singular issue. I know our school is usually good about grades and even with this extra wait compared to the past, its better than most. I'm not bitching about this, I'm bitching about everything. Seriously, I'm not the only one who has had a less than miserable experience here this past year. I know people at Berkley, a bunch at Michigan, UVA, Penn, and NYU. Everyone complains about certain things at their schools. But I have a lot more than one or two things that are problematic. If you read my previous posts, I line them out, and those don't even include the plethora of issues others talk about regularly.

And I've asked if its just me and it seems that others would agree. I don't know if this is because of the mess at the dean-level that is expected when there is turnover, or what. But its pretty evident, and I hope next year things run smoother with better decision making and planning in general. ALSO, I'm willing to accept that this is just par-for-the-course at law school, but no one is claiming that yet.

In the end, if our school touts itself as more professional, it should act that way. Rankings, which don't take into account student experience, are messing up my chi.

A summary of your posts since starting school:

1) Schedules/section assignments aren't out when orientation started.
2) CAESAR/the orientation page is down the weekend before orientation.
3) Grades aren't out five days (three business days) after when they're historically out.

Frankly you sound like a whiner.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are a long list of legitimate grievances against the administration. E.g. SBA appropriating a ton of excess cash from student organizations to fund building improvements. But the stuff you're harping about is petty.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 am

In unrelated talk...does anyone have tips/solid strategy for putting together our bid lists? I'd imagine it makes sense to avoid the "we want the top 15%" kids if you're at median, but beyond that I don't know what to make of what the firm criteria in symplicity amounts to, or what GPA ranges for callbacks should indicate when it comes to competently bidding.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:49 am

homestyle28 wrote:In unrelated talk...does anyone have tips/solid strategy for putting together our bid lists? I'd imagine it makes sense to avoid the "we want the top 15%" kids if you're at median, but beyond that I don't know what to make of what the firm criteria in symplicity amounts to, or what GPA ranges for callbacks should indicate when it comes to competently bidding.

As a general rule, ignore the criteria on the firm posting. Also, the GPA ranges for callbacks skewed high during the recession. E.g. pre-ITE K&E Chicago had a 3.68 GPA median, which means half the people they gave callbacks to were in the top 20% or so. It also means that half were outside the top 20%. During the recession, K&E Chicago's median went up to like 3.9 or 3.85. That does not mean that you had to be top 10% to get hired there, just that the firm called back mostly people in the top 10%. A 3.75+ gave you a decent shot.

Feel free to e-mail me at rayiner@nlaw.northwestern.edu, and I'd be happy to give some individualized advice. I'm a house-husband for the next couple of months so it's not like I have anything else to do.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 pm

rayiner wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:In unrelated talk...does anyone have tips/solid strategy for putting together our bid lists? I'd imagine it makes sense to avoid the "we want the top 15%" kids if you're at median, but beyond that I don't know what to make of what the firm criteria in symplicity amounts to, or what GPA ranges for callbacks should indicate when it comes to competently bidding.

As a general rule, ignore the criteria on the firm posting. Also, the GPA ranges for callbacks skewed high during the recession. E.g. pre-ITE K&E Chicago had a 3.68 GPA median, which means half the people they gave callbacks to were in the top 20% or so. It also means that half were outside the top 20%. During the recession, K&E Chicago's median went up to like 3.9 or 3.85. That does not mean that you had to be top 10% to get hired there, just that the firm called back mostly people in the top 10%. A 3.75+ gave you a decent shot.

Feel free to e-mail me at rayiner@nlaw.northwestern.edu, and I'd be happy to give some individualized advice. I'm a house-husband for the next couple of months so it's not like I have anything else to do.

are you graduating this year, Rayiner?

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:27 pm

rayiner wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:
rayiner wrote:

A summary of your posts since starting school:

1) Schedules/section assignments aren't out when orientation started.
2) CAESAR/the orientation page is down the weekend before orientation.
3) Grades aren't out five days (three business days) after when they're historically out.

Frankly you sound like a whiner.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are a long list of legitimate grievances against the administration. E.g. SBA appropriating a ton of excess cash from student organizations to fund building improvements. But the stuff you're harping about is petty.

You can add to that-
- mandatory multi-hour meetings at the most inopportune time
- Insurance hell
- multiple messed up tests that could have been prevented with even a tiny bit of oversight
- a few personal events that I will not go into
- multiple issues from other people as well

You can call me a whiner all you want. I don't whine in person (except to my closest friends), nor make a big deal about any of this stuff. But this is a little place called the internets, where some people like to go and vent their annoyances. I'm far from the first, and won't be the last to do so.

You on the other hand are spending a surprisingly large amount of time and effort checking my posting history (and by the way, I'm sure not all of my 440 posts have been to complain, but whatever) in order to argue with me that my subjective irritation is nothing more than whining. Your purpose for that isn't exactly clear, but whether its to defend your school or just feel big and internet bad, its irrelevant. You know why?

I don't care, at all, what you think in-so-far as whether or not I am entitled to air complaints without being labeled a whiner. You are not the arbiter of what constitutes irritation/annoyance/concern versus just "whining".

ACTUALLY, I would say that since I'm "whining" about legitimate small issues (and a number of them) while you are only whining about my whining, that makes you the less-justified whiner. But you have, like, 12k posts on TLS so clearly you have the social experience to know better than I do on what constitutes whining.

(ALSO - as an edit, I do not mean to be overly dickish, just generally sarcastic and argumentative- you are helpful and generally a good person from my limited interactions. I just don't appreciate having my personal grievances minimized for no discernible reason.)

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:09 pm

People who transer out are friendless losers.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:People who transer out are friendless losers.

I concur. Unless you are transferring to HYS or for legitimate personal reasons, I think that you will yourself a great injustice come OCI transfering out of NU to a school ranked only a couple of spots higher. Looking back, not transfering was probably the best decision that I made.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

What about the cold? Is that a legitimate reason to transfer?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Reminiscing, I do miss the millions of emails that Dean Kagan would send out letting us know approximately when grades would be released.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:What about the cold? Is that a legitimate reason to transfer?

So you are left looking at Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, and Duke?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:24 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

I concur. Unless you are transferring to HYS or for legitimate personal reasons, I think that you will yourself a great injustice come OCI transfering out of NU to a school ranked only a couple of spots higher. Looking back, not transfering was probably the best decision that I made.

Even if you do hys, you better not bid Chicago at oci.

IMO personal reasons AND hys is the only reason.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Serious question-does anyone actually try to transfer for any reason besides hys or legitimate personal reasons?

chadwick218 wrote:

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 pm

It's Chicago, not Moscow winter of 1941. This makes it worse. Tripley so because we didn't have winter this yearBlumpbeef

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

So you are left looking at Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, and Duke?

lol

I actually was thinking about Boalt specifically. And not for the weather, obviously, but for employment prospects in SF.

How big of a hit is there from doing a transfer?

(0L here)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”