Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun May 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
to_transfer_or_not wrote:So...when are spring grades usually posted?


Hopefully never.

+1


+1

FWIW heard that grades are due Tuesday at midnight. So Wednesday will prob be D-Day again

Last year they came out this week, although I thought that after grades were due it took like a week to ensure that the curve had been followed where required.

Either way, if anyone tells me grades are out while I'm at work, I will fucking kill them.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
to_transfer_or_not wrote:So...when are spring grades usually posted?


Hopefully never.

+1


+1

FWIW heard that grades are due Tuesday at midnight. So Wednesday will prob be D-Day again


It always takes 2-3 days after grades are due to post them.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Rampage1 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for family oriented neighborhoods? I've never been to Chicago so I am sort of shopping in the dark.

How close to school are you looking? River West, Bucktown, Andersonville, Uptown, and parts of Lincoln Park all have areas in them that are fairly family-oriented.


I'd add Ravenswood and Lincoln Square. They are fairly pricey, but family friendly. Commuting via the brown line (transfer to Red) wouldn't be that bad. I think around 30 min. I'd take out Uptown, it's got a crime problem. I wouldn't avoid it because it's not that bad, but it's not a family neighborhood.

Rampage1
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Rampage1 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Rampage1 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for family oriented neighborhoods? I've never been to Chicago so I am sort of shopping in the dark.

How close to school are you looking? River West, Bucktown, Andersonville, Uptown, and parts of Lincoln Park all have areas in them that are fairly family-oriented.


I'd add Ravenswood and Lincoln Square. They are fairly pricey, but family friendly. Commuting via the brown line (transfer to Red) wouldn't be that bad. I think around 30 min. I'd take out Uptown, it's got a crime problem. I wouldn't avoid it because it's not that bad, but it's not a family neighborhood.


Thanks for the input. Anything within a reasonable distance to school will work. I know it will be a pain in the ass to commute during 1L, but my main concerns are safety and $$$. I've had my eye on Lincoln Park for awhile and will check out Ravenswood and Lincoln Square, too. How are the job prospects looking for everyone?

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Remnantofisrael » Tue May 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Rampage1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Rampage1 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for family oriented neighborhoods? I've never been to Chicago so I am sort of shopping in the dark.

How close to school are you looking? River West, Bucktown, Andersonville, Uptown, and parts of Lincoln Park all have areas in them that are fairly family-oriented.


I'd add Ravenswood and Lincoln Square. They are fairly pricey, but family friendly. Commuting via the brown line (transfer to Red) wouldn't be that bad. I think around 30 min. I'd take out Uptown, it's got a crime problem. I wouldn't avoid it because it's not that bad, but it's not a family neighborhood.


Thanks for the input. Anything within a reasonable distance to school will work. I know it will be a pain in the ass to commute during 1L, but my main concerns are safety and $$$. I've had my eye on Lincoln Park for awhile and will check out Ravenswood and Lincoln Square, too. How are the job prospects looking for everyone?



Its dependent on the space you need and budget, but places like Wicker Park have changed a lot and are actually very safe, have a bunch of parks, and a few good schools- and its chicago anyway so good chance someone will have to drive a kid to school somewhere else regardless of where you live.

I love lincoln park but its too expensive. There are some great spots in Lakeview, especially western lakeview and the areas that border lincoln park like sheffield etc. I really recommend hiring a renters agent - the truth is they get a ton of listings that don't go out on craigslist etc. or any of the trades and pubs online or otherwise. And in the end, you don't pay them, and you will get the same rate.

If you want to talk more about Bucktown, Wicker Park or Ukranian villiage, let me know. I live in WP and its a 2 minute blue line, 20 minute bus to school. But its also chicago so that 25 minute commute can become 50 minutes if there is a lot of waiting.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13509
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:48 pm

So guessing grades aren't coming tonight? I got two model answers from profs today and I know one section of CLR got their briefs back. Figured grades would show up today as well.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:So guessing grades aren't coming tonight? I got two model answers from profs today and I know one section of CLR got their briefs back. Figured grades would show up today as well.

I fucking hate you so much right now. Why does everyone want grades?! ugh ugh ugh

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13509
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:So guessing grades aren't coming tonight? I got two model answers from profs today and I know one section of CLR got their briefs back. Figured grades would show up today as well.

I fucking hate you so much right now. Why does everyone want grades?! ugh ugh ugh

Because we have to know what we're working with for the 2L job hunt. I'm sure there's not as much anxiety for 2Ls and 3Ls, but I just wanna know what I'm working with for finding a job. It's like waiting to rip a bandaid off. They know our grades. Just get it over.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:So guessing grades aren't coming tonight? I got two model answers from profs today and I know one section of CLR got their briefs back. Figured grades would show up today as well.

I fucking hate you so much right now. Why does everyone want grades?! ugh ugh ugh

Because we have to know what we're working with for the 2L job hunt. I'm sure there's not as much anxiety for 2Ls and 3Ls, but I just wanna know what I'm working with for finding a job. It's like waiting to rip a bandaid off. They know our grades. Just get it over.

No. Now stop talking about them.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Flips88 wrote:So guessing grades aren't coming tonight? I got two model answers from profs today and I know one section of CLR got their briefs back. Figured grades would show up today as well.


After tanking the final brief for CLR I don't think I want grades anymore...spelling makes homestyle feel C-

(FWIW I doubt my CLR prof would have sent briefs w/grades if she didn't think they were coming tonight, she pointedly refused to do that in the fall)

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:So guessing grades aren't coming tonight? I got two model answers from profs today and I know one section of CLR got their briefs back. Figured grades would show up today as well.

I fucking hate you so much right now. Why does everyone want grades?! ugh ugh ugh

Because we have to know what we're working with for the 2L job hunt. I'm sure there's not as much anxiety for 2Ls and 3Ls, but I just wanna know what I'm working with for finding a job. It's like waiting to rip a bandaid off. They know our grades. Just get it over.

No. Now stop talking about them.


Nevar!

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13509
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:So guessing grades aren't coming tonight? I got two model answers from profs today and I know one section of CLR got their briefs back. Figured grades would show up today as well.


After tanking the final brief for CLR I don't think I want grades anymore...spelling makes homestyle feel C-

(FWIW I doubt my CLR prof would have sent briefs w/grades if she didn't think they were coming tonight, she pointedly refused to do that in the fall)

We got our Fall semester memos back over 2 weeks before grades. Disappointed to have nothing yet

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:28 am

So...bets on the next likely release date/time?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 31, 2012 1:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:So...bets on the next likely release date/time?

Never.

jml8756
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby jml8756 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:54 pm

I was in Student Services today and they said grades will be posted on Monday.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Thu May 31, 2012 5:59 pm

Aren't there other threads for you guys to neurotically fap-cry about grades in? Maybe one that doesn't get automatically bumped for HGL and me?

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu May 31, 2012 6:56 pm

Wouldn't it be the longest ever finals-to-grade-release time frame if it didn't come out till monday? Hasn't it basically always come out the week of memorial day, and we finished finals pretty early?

Also, we will continue to circle-jerk about grades. Sorry about wasting that 14 seconds of your very important life.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

IAFG wrote:Aren't there other threads for you guys to neurotically fap-cry about grades in? Maybe one that doesn't get automatically bumped for HGL and me?


If only there was some setting you could change to stop that from happening.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby IAFG » Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Wouldn't it be the longest ever finals-to-grade-release time frame if it didn't come out till monday? Hasn't it basically always come out the week of memorial day, and we finished finals pretty early?

Also, we will continue to circle-jerk about grades. Sorry about wasting that 14 seconds of your very important life.

It's not an issue of wasting my time. It's an issue of being reminded of grades every time I hit ego search.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby rayiner » Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 pm

LOL @ 1L's.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 pm

rayiner wrote:LOL @ 1L's.



Just throwing this out there but don't you think there's a reason that 1L's are a bit more preoccupied with their grades than you guys are?

I mean I get the uselessness of a bunch of us asking each other when we think they'll come out but, with the level of importance of 1L grades and the consequent angst, its not entirely unreasonable.

I suppose everyone could take it to the dormant "class of 2014" thread, but haven't most of y'all posted in that as well?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu May 31, 2012 11:32 pm

splitmuch wrote:
rayiner wrote:LOL @ 1L's.



Just throwing this out there but don't you think there's a reason that 1L's are a bit more preoccupied with their grades than you guys are?

I mean I get the uselessness of a bunch of us asking each other when we think they'll come out but, with the level of importance of 1L grades and the consequent angst, its not entirely unreasonable.

I suppose everyone could take it to the dormant "class of 2014" thread, but haven't most of y'all posted in that as well?

My grades are still important for my future plans, but whether they get posted yesterday or next Monday, they aren't going to be any different. You all just need to chill.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby splitmuch » Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
rayiner wrote:LOL @ 1L's.



Just throwing this out there but don't you think there's a reason that 1L's are a bit more preoccupied with their grades than you guys are?

I mean I get the uselessness of a bunch of us asking each other when we think they'll come out but, with the level of importance of 1L grades and the consequent angst, its not entirely unreasonable.

I suppose everyone could take it to the dormant "class of 2014" thread, but haven't most of y'all posted in that as well?

My grades are still important for my future plans, but whether they get posted yesterday or next Monday, they aren't going to be any different. You all just need to chill.



If they're like that in all their interactions I would agree. But I assume most come to TLS when they think about law school stuff and, at this point, there's not much else. While I agree when we get them isn't going to change anything, I don't think its that odd for people to want to know, seems like a pretty common human phenomenon...Tangentially, I think there are just as many if not more admonitions about posting about grade waiting than actual posts about grade waiting, so there is a touch of irony in telling people to chill.

Anyway, anyone got any good shows they're going to see this summer?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 am

In non grade-fapping, but still neurotic concerns: how worried should we be that 3 short months before the heart of Fall recruiting the Director of Career Services left?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:In non grade-fapping, but still neurotic concerns: how worried should we be that 3 short months before the heart of Fall recruiting the Director of Career Services left?

That man was completely useless.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FascinatedWanderer, Lacepiece23, soph and 2 guests