Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chadwick218

Re: Northwestern 1L taking questions

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:45 am

Drew2010 wrote:A few questions for the awesome NU students:

Is there any flag football played by the law students? Yes, we played touch football up until the end of October. Typically, 15-20 people came out to play each Friday afternoon.

Does McClurg allow dogs, if anyone happens to know? Unfortunately, no!

Do a lot of the law students live in McClurg? Is that a pretty popular building, and are there others that are also pretty popular and nice? I live in McClurg as does Rayiner. In fact, there are quite a few NU students who live here. To the most part, I have observed that rental prices in Chicago are fair (you get what you pay for). McClurg is a little outdated, but for the price, I have no complaints. I pay for gas, tv, and internet out-of-pocket, but otherwise all utilities are included.

Thanks!!

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:16 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

Is there any flag football played by the law students? Yes, we played touch football up until the end of October. Typically, 15-20 people came out to play each Friday afternoon.

Do a lot of the law students live in McClurg? Is that a pretty popular building, and are there others that are also pretty popular and nice? I live in McClurg as does Rayiner. In fact, there are quite a few NU students who live here. To the most part, I have observed that rental prices in Chicago are fair (you get what you pay for). McClurg is a little outdated, but for the price, I have no complaints. I pay for gas, tv, and internet out-of-pocket, but otherwise all utilities are included.

Thanks!!

Don't forget the amazing kickball tournament.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 am

hmlee wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Thanks!!

Don't forget the amazing kickball tournament.

If I had any doubts about going northwestern they are now gone,

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:06 pm

hmlee wrote:Don't forget the amazing kickball tournament.

Agreed. I just wish that we had more of this! I would love to see a recreational softball team / league for those hanging around Chicago this summer.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:31 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

Agreed. I just wish that we had more of this! I would love to see a recreational softball team / league for those hanging around Chicago this summer.

Don't forget the amazing pub trivia night...

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:41 pm

hmlee wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? (It seems self-explanatory, but sounds fun so some details would be cool.)

Also, I'm married. What is the married population, or those with SOs?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:44 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Can you elaborate on this? (It seems self-explanatory, but sounds fun so some details would be cool.)

Our own hmlee was instrumental in planning a well-attended trivia night this past week. We went up to some bar, competed for lame prizes, and drank a lot. It was fun!

There are tons of people here with SO's, you'll fit right in.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 pm

rayiner wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:Can you elaborate on this? (It seems self-explanatory, but sounds fun so some details would be cool.)

Our own hmlee was instrumental in planning a well-attended trivia night this past week. We went up to some bar, competed for lame prizes, and drank a lot. It was fun!

There are tons of people here with SO's, you'll fit right in.

To be fair, the prizes weren't really my doing. They were the best we could get on short notice.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
hmlee wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? (It seems self-explanatory, but sounds fun so some details would be cool.)

So the student organization I'm a part of, SFPIF, (student funded public interest fellowships -- if you come to NU, you'll hear a looooot about them, so I don't need to talk about it here) put on a trivia night last week. It was basically a pub trivia competition at a bar on the North Side called Joe's. It was $5 to play and, while the ultimate prizes weren't that spiffy, we did have a $5 pitcher special going with the bar. We had a really good turnout and it looks like we'll be doing it again -- maybe as soon as the end of September of next semester.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Talk to me about Streeterville. My wife and I are salivating over cheap, huge (to us, coming from New York) apartments in the area, but from walking through there I don't remember seeing a lot of...anything. Are there any stores, restaurants, etc., that aren't on the Navy Pier?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:19 pm

mayosmith wrote:Talk to me about Streeterville. My wife and I are salivating over cheap, huge (to us, coming from New York) apartments in the area, but from walking through there I don't remember seeing a lot of...anything. Are there any stores, restaurants, etc., that aren't on the Navy Pier?

Stores are on Michigan, but they're pretty expensive. There are a few decent restaurants along Grand (just south of the LS), and a few good bars along Rush (just north of the LS), but again, expensive.

There is a lot of reasonably-priced nightlife to be had just a short bus ride up in Lincoln Park, though. The bus system here is very efficient and we get an unlimited pass included in our tuition.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 am

TTT-LS wrote:Well, and beyond the stuff Rayiner mentioned, there's a Domonick's (Safeway) in Streeterville, a Trader Joe's just across Mich. Ave, a bunch of restraurants along Fairbanks St. including D4, Chipotle, Panera, Indian Garden, Potbelly, Einstein's, Corner Bakery, Markethouse, etc. The area down by Grand has the movie theaters, Lucky Strike Bowling, a bunch more restaurants, wine shop, banks, and Fox & Obel (Dean & Deluca equivalent). While some parts of Streeterville do some off as really sterile, on closer evaluation there's actually a lot in the area. The one thing we lack is a decent bar scene--though Lincoln Park and other areas more than make up for that.

The biggest knock on Streeterville is that it doesn't have a "neighborhoody" feel like many of the similarly priced areas of the North side (lincoln park, lakeview). There aren't really trees -- I mean you're right downtown so that's to be expected, and the only housing in the area are mid and high-rise apartment/condo buildings.

Lincoln Park, shortly to the north, is definitely more of a neighborhood, though it trends really young as a rule. It's a haven for mid-20-somethings and as such has a lot of bars and night life. Thus, many areas of it (near the main streets like Clark, Fullerton, and Belmont) can get very noisy at night.... and it may not be the best place for people who don't want to deal with that.

I live in Lakeview, which is to the north of Lincoln Park. I enjoy it a lot. I have a car, so I drive to school daily, though there are quite a few bus routes that would be relatively easy to take if I chose to do that. I like Lakeview because it has trees and a more neighborhood feel on a lot of blocks, and yet I'm close to the night life areas of Lincoln Park and within spitting distance of downtown.

The bottom line is that there are many, many great neighborhoods to live in. Streeterville is fine and has the advantage of proximity to the law school, but unless that's a deal breaker for you, I'd also expand your view to other neighborhoods... there are plenty of threads in TLS with posts by myself and others (who have lived in Chicago for a long time) discussing the merits and drawbacks of the various neighborhoods...

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:35 am

hmlee wrote:The bottom line is that there are many, many great neighborhoods to live in. Streeterville is fine and has the advantage of proximity to the law school, but unless that's a deal breaker for you, I'd also expand your view to other neighborhoods... there are plenty of threads in TLS with posts by myself and others (who have lived in Chicago for a long time) discussing the merits and drawbacks of the various neighborhoods...

That's great. Thanks to all on this. Quite a few decisions to make in the coming months...

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Love this, from Wikipedia:

"In the late 1880s, George Streeter began his efforts to steal shoreline land from its rightful owners. He persisted in these efforts for decades, lying, stealing, forging and killing in his scheming. He claimed that his boat hit a sandbar just off the Chicago shoreline during a storm. That he and his wife made the stranded boat their new home. Meanwhile, landfill dumped in an effort to create land on which to build Lake Shore Drive by the Lincoln Park Board created 186 acres (0.75 km2)s of new land along the lake front, which Streeter attempted to claim. ... The local press became enamored with the story of Streeter's brash personality and his self-proclaimed district. Mayor William Hale Thompson tried to evict the Streeters for selling liquor, and after several eviction attempts and gun battles, Streeter landed in jail. In 1918, the courts invalidated his claim of sovereignty. Today, the district is home to some of the most expensive real estate in Chicago."

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:00 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone live in Worcester House, or know someone who does. The admitted students pdf mentions it and the rent is cheap for a studio.

I checked it out last year. I believe that I was offered a very small studio for $625 ... I can't remember what all it included. It is a very close walk to campus, but the building and rooms are very outdated. Even so, it may be still be worth the price.

Only another Northwestern hopeful, but I'm from the Chicago area. Worcester House is literally across from the school, only thing is it's VERY old and VERY small. I only know a few people who lived here their first year of medical school but no one ever hung out at their place... They all moved the following year. If you want a cheap option and plan on being a loner though, then it's good for basic needs. Their largest studio is about the size of small studio elsewhere, with rent being maybe $100 bucks cheaper. I believe utilities are included in the rent though, so that's a benefit. Given the numerous options in the area, if you're not completely tight on budget, you should go with McClurg, 420, or Onterie.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:09 pm

jd-mba wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone live in Worcester House, or know someone who does. The admitted students pdf mentions it and the rent is cheap for a studio.

I checked it out last year. I believe that I was offered a very small studio for $625 ... I can't remember what all it included. It is a very close walk to campus, but the building and rooms are very outdated. Even so, it may be still be worth the price.

Only another Northwestern hopeful, but I'm from the Chicago area. Worcester House is literally across from the school, only thing is it's VERY old and VERY small. I only know a few people who lived here their first year of medical school but no one ever hung out at their place... They all moved the following year. If you want a cheap option and plan on being a loner though, then it's good for basic needs. Their largest studio is about the size of small studio elsewhere, with rent being maybe $100 bucks cheaper. I believe utilities are included in the rent though, so that's a benefit. Given the numerous options in the area, if you're not completely tight on budget, you should go with McClurg, 420, or Onterie.

Sounds like finding a roommate and getting a 2 bed is a better choice than Worcester?

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sounds like finding a roommate and getting a 2 bed is a better choice than Worcester?

Possibly, if you find a person easy to get along with. You don't want to run into the situation where your roommate is a party-goer and you're not or vice versa. At least with the med school, people do a lot of apartment parties and if you have a party-goer in an apartment, you're bound to have some at your place. Roommate friction is no fun. Oh, I forgot to mention, Worcester also has its own "furniture"... outdated, dorm-like wooden bed, desk, and chair (I think). I don't know if they allow you to opt to not have the furniture there, but that may kind of limit your interior designing ability.

McClurg's 2 bedrooms are about $2000, 420 East Ohio is probably around $2200 but they have a washer/dryer in unit and is slightly bigger I think. RCN cable is pretty cheap, and the only utilities is electric (at least that's the case in McClurg). If you're willing to move outside of streeterville, your 2-bedroom options will definitely be a lot cheaper :) I think two of my friends had a place in wicker park for $1500? I may be wrong on the exact number but roughly around there.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:02 pm

From looking at Google Maps there appears to be a park right in front of the school. Would anyone know if there is a dog park there? I know from studying NYU that a lot of medium to large parks in NYC have them, I'm curious whether Chicago is similar.

Also thanks to all those answering questions, it really is extremely appreciated.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Drew2010 wrote:From looking at Google Maps there appears to be a park right in front of the school. Would anyone know if there is a dog park there? I know from studying NYU that a lot of medium to large parks in NYC have them, I'm curious whether Chicago is similar.

Also thanks to all those answering questions, it really is extremely appreciated.

Dogs are welcome, but the park is not fenced in.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Sooooo.... how's everyone doing? I'm still a bit freaked out. A fun day today was...

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:33 pm

hmlee wrote:Sooooo.... how's everyone doing? I'm still a bit freaked out. A fun day today was...

:) They never found the guy right? Hopefully less people will want to go to Northwestern after this incident and will free up spaces for hopeful applicants like me! :)

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:33 pm

hmlee wrote:Sooooo.... how's everyone doing? I'm still a bit freaked out. A fun day today was...

Everything ok out there?

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”