Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tdicks

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby tdicks » Thu May 03, 2012 6:16 am

so, i've started looking for apartments in streeterville, and they all seem more or less the same to me. i read some reviews online, and they all seem to have equally awful feedback. i take online reviews with quite a large grain of salt, as bitching about things anonymously seems to be the second most popular thing to do on the internet, but i was wondering if any of the popular buildings around campus are to be avoided (or are just not worth the couple hundred dollars savings/splurge)? specifically, do any of them have a really bad roach problem? i know it's an irrational fear, and that apartments are notorious for roach problems, but i really f-ing hate roaches, and the less i have to deal with them the happier i am. thanks for any input!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 am

tdicks wrote:so, i've started looking for apartments in streeterville, and they all seem more or less the same to me. i read some reviews online, and they all seem to have equally awful feedback. i take online reviews with quite a large grain of salt, as bitching about things anonymously seems to be the second most popular thing to do on the internet, but i was wondering if any of the popular buildings around campus are to be avoided (or are just not worth the couple hundred dollars savings/splurge)? specifically, do any of them have a really bad roach problem? i know it's an irrational fear, and that apartments are notorious for roach problems, but i really f-ing hate roaches, and the less i have to deal with them the happier i am. thanks for any input!
:shock:
My god, I didn't even THINK about roaches. I've only even seen one once in my life, in Mexico. So Chicago has roaches??

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
tdicks wrote:so, i've started looking for apartments in streeterville, and they all seem more or less the same to me. i read some reviews online, and they all seem to have equally awful feedback. i take online reviews with quite a large grain of salt, as bitching about things anonymously seems to be the second most popular thing to do on the internet, but i was wondering if any of the popular buildings around campus are to be avoided (or are just not worth the couple hundred dollars savings/splurge)? specifically, do any of them have a really bad roach problem? i know it's an irrational fear, and that apartments are notorious for roach problems, but i really f-ing hate roaches, and the less i have to deal with them the happier i am. thanks for any input!
My god, I didn't even THINK about roaches. I've only even seen one once in my life, in Mexico. So Chicago has roaches??

Chicago can't have roaches.

I'm going with "It's gotta be too cold for roaches... no way they can survive the winter" or "oh, that's just a light brown water beetle scurrying across the floor... "

I'm voting for chicago is a roach free zone.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu May 03, 2012 11:21 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Only at Streeters.

The bar, not the apt. complex. I would be pretty surprised if there was any issue at the apt. complexes near school. They all seem pretty nice/new/well-kept. The problem with them is you have to live in streeterville and they're expensive.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 am

Chicago has roaches (doesn't everywhere have roaches?) but they don't appear to live in high rises. Saw one in the law school basement. But never heard one in a high rise.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Last edited by dolfan0516 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm

I've never had anything worse than those little black ants get in my house. There are no roaches in the Oregon suburbs (unless you're a hoarder or something, I dunno).

Ok, well, I did wake up with a possum under my bed once when I still lived with my parents. But I'd rather have the possum than roaches!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu May 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Never had roaches or heard of anyone who did. I have a few small ants near my windows when it rains, and that's all :-)

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu May 03, 2012 1:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Ok, well, I did wake up with a possum under my bed once when I still lived with my parents. But I'd rather have the possum than roaches!

:shock: This is why I'll always live in the city. No possums under my bed.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Ok, well, I did wake up with a possum under my bed once when I still lived with my parents. But I'd rather have the possum than roaches!

:shock: This is why I'll always live in the city. No possums under my bed.
My parents' house is in a totally suburban area, developed in the 70s! But across the street is a really big park that stretches several miles and includes restored wildlife and wetlands areas and stuff, so we get possums and raccoons and sometimes even coyotes in the neighborhood.

Possums and raccoons (thankfully never a coyote) would come in through the cat door and eat the cats' food. I don't know why that one decided to settle down for the night under my futon, but it was a rude awakening in the morning. We put in one of those locking cat doors that unlock with a strong magnet on their collars, and it solved that problem.

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Thu May 03, 2012 6:00 pm

I was just looking at the reviews too and starting to rethink my housing plans... I'm actually more concerned with noise/soundproofing (or lack thereof), since I'm the kind of person that prefers working at home over the library (and is why I'd shell out more during 1L for an apartment within walking distance). Any major sound/noise issues with McClurg, Onterie, or Lakeshore Plaza?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:12 pm

tjddk wrote:Any major sound/noise issues with McClurg, Onterie, or Lakeshore Plaza?

This was I think the biggest complaint I found when reading online reviews. Living in McClurg I don't have sound issues at all.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 03, 2012 10:08 pm

sup, y'all?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:sup, y'all?
:D I think you're looking for this one: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=169206

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 03, 2012 10:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
tjddk wrote:Any major sound/noise issues with McClurg, Onterie, or Lakeshore Plaza?

This was I think the biggest complaint I found when reading online reviews. Living in McClurg I don't have sound issues at all.

i've lived at mcclurg for a year and and it's not horrible, but not perfect either. im rarely ever in my apartment with nothing on, whether its tv or music or whatever, so i usually dont notice it, but once in a while ill catch myself sitting in silence during the day and i'll be able to hear people in adjacent apartments. usually dont hear anything at night, but i think the people i live around are pretty quiet. when i first got my surround sound i had one neighbor come by and ask if i could turn down my sub, but otherwise no additional complaints (and i listen to music a lot, so i imagine if they could hear it they would have gotten fed up by now and said something).

overall mcclurg isn't bad, but obv it pretty expensive. i wont be living here next year, i know that for sure. i used to play a lot of tennis so i thought i'd take advantage of the indoor courts more, but i didn't. if you are going to be a 1L i dont think its a bad play, very convenient location to the school. i think most 2Ls bolt from streeterville after first year though. i'm a transfer so this was my first year at NU, but i can see why it happens. the area in general is so expensive and the lack of reasonable food/good bars is annoying.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri May 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Can any current students share any insight on the financial aid situation for recent hold admits? Is it truly a dead end or is there some hope?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Everybody else still having problems with summer registration?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri May 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Can any current students share any insight on the financial aid situation for recent hold admits? Is it truly a dead end or is there some hope?

The 96k you got from Cornell is pretty substantial, I don't really see NU coming close to matching it but they might give you a little something. Unless you're dead set on working in Chicago, I would probably take Cornell.

There is always the off chance that they give you big $$ though, so you might as well try to get them to match your Cornell offer. Can't really hurt since there is close to zero chance you're getting more than that.

ETA: Saw you also got money at UVA. I think that is an even better option and it will be hard to justify picking NU with something small over UVA with 90k.
Last edited by bdubs on Fri May 04, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri May 04, 2012 12:56 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Everybody else still having problems with summer registration?

yup!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 pm

When do we choose fall classes?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 pm

bk1 wrote:When do we choose fall classes?

August, stop thinking ahead.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri May 04, 2012 9:41 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bk1 wrote:When do we choose fall classes?

August, stop thinking ahead.

Seriously. Finals just ended!

I'm not even done with this semester...

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:44 pm

FUCK I gotta do clinic journal. 3.5 page of pure shit.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:30 am

Looking at the write-on packet...

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:36 am

Flips88 wrote:Looking at the write-on packet...

Journal sucks bro. Either go balls fucking out to get law review (and review that shit 50 thousand times) or half ass it and take your spot on secondary journals. Everoyne wants it. Even people who do less than half of the write on, make it onto something. I think the only secondary journal you can even not get selected for is JCLC. And don't by the hype, it has zero prestige.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”