Northwestern 1L/2L/3L/Grads Taking Questions and Challenges

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Re: Northwestern Students Taking Questions and Challenges

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:04 pm

There's free lunch at some club's meeting pretty much every day.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:05 pm

bk1 wrote:There's free lunch at some club's meeting pretty much every day.

The quality of which varies widely.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Connie's Pizza = /vomit

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
I mean yeah, i dont think the cold is a problem. My only point is that if someone cant stand cold, theres nothing about law school that means theyll spend less time outdoors than they already do (as dany suggested).

Get to school every day in the morning --> Stay in school with the exception of leaving to grab lunch --> leave school by 5 or 6

Basically the same as if you had a FT job. You don't NEED to leave the school a lot during the day.

ETA: disclaimer, I am an 0L who has never lived in Chicago before. So this is just speculation.

And most people dont do the full 8 to 6 thing.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Connie's Pizza = /vomit

Yet for some reason it's the most popular option. Though it is nice when Pot Belly's makes an appearance, and FedSoc is always good for a lasagna lunch, but then you need to sit through a FedSoc meeting.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Connie's Pizza = /vomit

Yet for some reason it's the most popular option. Though it is nice when Pot Belly's makes an appearance, and FedSoc is always good for a lasagna lunch, but then you need to sit through a FedSoc meeting.

No you don't.

DrManflesh

Postby DrManflesh » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

No you don't.

Sitting through a FedSoc event? A ridiculous concept.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:55 pm

DrManflesh wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

No you don't.

I like to go, listen, then ask challenging questions. It's very amusing.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 01, 2012 2:31 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

:roll:

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 am

IAFG wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Most hypocritical eyeroll ever.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Why? The David Lat incident?

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:45 am

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Why? The David Lat incident?

The incident with the middle school basket ball coach as well.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 01, 2012 2:48 am

That was my track coach. I've never gone to an event to "challenge" a speaker. That's a silly thing to do. The Lat thing was just a factual misunderstanding on his part.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue May 01, 2012 3:16 am

IAFG wrote:That was my track coach. I've never gone to an event to "challenge" a speaker. That's a silly thing to do. The Lat thing was just a factual misunderstanding on his part.

But you have gone to an event to challenge a fellow student.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue May 01, 2012 3:25 am

rayiner wrote:
IAFG wrote:That was my track coach. I've never gone to an event to "challenge" a speaker. That's a silly thing to do. The Lat thing was just a factual misunderstanding on his part.

But you have gone to an event to challenge a fellow student.

Nuh uh. He started it. I came for the lasagna.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
DrManflesh wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Icculus wrote:

No you don't.

I don't mind the fed soc, mostly. Lately, a lot of the douchey behavior hasn't come from them. Just sayin.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Not saying they're bad our anything. It's just that speakers are often prepared for a half sympathetic half unfriendly crowd, and asking questions in the center is interesting. Like the guy whose theory was basically "make people not want to take other people's rights away." He flailed pretty hard when asked how to apply out or what use it would be.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Tue May 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Okay - so I'm slowly working through the 75 page thread. For finals, a couple of questions:

a) It looks like all finals MUST be completed on a computer, correct? (ie, no weird professors who make you write out the whole exam)
b) WTF is this schedule your own finals thing? Is that for 1Ls too? I need help understanding!!

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Okay - so I'm slowly working through the 75 page thread. For finals, a couple of questions:

a) It looks like all finals MUST be completed on a computer, correct? (ie, no weird professors who make you write out the whole exam)
b) WTF is this schedule your own finals thing? Is that for 1Ls too? I need help understanding!!

a) I know at least one professor allowed handwritten. I don't know any who mandate it.

b) Most non-1L classes allow yo to self schedule an exam. You just taken it whenever you want. During 1L second semester, you'll get two of these. Some classes have scheduled because they have a weird format. My Evidence was in class because it was closed book.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:51 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Okay - so I'm slowly working through the 75 page thread. For finals, a couple of questions:

For most electives (which you take 0 first semester 1L and 2 second semester 1L), you basically at any time during the finals period can take your exam. You don't even need to actually "schedule" it or tell anyone. You just log in to the website whenever you feel like it during the 2 week finals period, download your final, and upload within the time limit (which is the exam time + 10 minutes of administrative time).

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

a) I know at least one professor allowed handwritten. I don't know any who mandate it.

b) Most non-1L classes allow yo to self schedule an exam. You just taken it whenever you want. During 1L second semester, you'll get two of these. Some classes have scheduled because they have a weird format. My Evidence was in class because it was closed book.

One Conlaw professor (calabrese) required one 45 minute portion to be hand written because it was completely closed book/note but that was it.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed May 02, 2012 1:20 am

splitmuch wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

One Conlaw professor (calabrese) required one 45 minute portion to be hand written because it was completely closed book/note but that was it.

It's Calabresi, don't mess with the Italians. As for hand written, after just 45 minutes of handwritten IDs I realized I never want to handwrite an exam again, I would recommend always typing. As for self scheduled exams, the concept is great, but I think it's important to at least set a personal schedule so you don't put them off too long. I attempted this personal schedule and have already failed miserably, the upshot is the last one needs to be done by Thursday at 2:00 or know booze cruise for me, that is actual motivation.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 am

Does anyone know if we get CTA passes in the summer if we're taking classes?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 02, 2012 11:30 am

homestyle28 wrote:Does anyone know if we get CTA passes in the summer if we're taking classes?

I don't think we do.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed May 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Icculus wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

It's Calabresi, don't mess with the Italians. As for hand written, after just 45 minutes of handwritten IDs I realized I never want to handwrite an exam again, I would recommend always typing. As for self scheduled exams, the concept is great, but I think it's important to at least set a personal schedule so you don't put them off too long. I attempted this personal schedule and have already failed miserably, the upshot is the last one needs to be done by Thursday at 2:00 or know booze cruise for me, that is actual motivation.

All vowels look the same to me.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”